Alex Escobar

TLAK

According to El Universal.Com, a Venezuelan online newspaper, Alex Escobar began running on Wednesday. His rehab program is administered at Universidad de Carabobo, and reports are sent to the Sox weekly. If he suffers a set back he will travel to the US to see the White Sox doctors.

If all goes well, he could join Navegantes del Magallanes in the Venezuelan league playoffs, assuming they make the second round -about the 2nd week in January, I think- but would only play if he could help the Navigators.

It also says his foot started hurting after spring training 2004 but the doctors told him it was arthritis. He tried to play through it without success and finally a break was found and he was DL'd.

This helps me understand why KW snapped him up so fast when the Indians waived him, hopefully he is a much better player than he showed hitting .211. He was playing on one wheel.

:pray We need to pray he comes up big because Alex Escobar will have to be good for us to make the playoffs if we don't sign another OF.

WTF?

We don't need escobar, he is just a broken down top prosect who is now a project. I don't like him though because even if he some how reaches his full potential, he still will have a low obp.

WTF?

We don't need escobar, he is just a broken down top prosect who is now a project.  I don't like him though because even if he some how reaches his full potential, he still will have  a low obp.

Your OBP can be .290, but if your OPS is around .850-.900, you are still doing the team more good then harm.

OPS is the key for a guy like Escobar who has power potential...not OBP.

Your OBP can be .290, but if your OPS is around .850-.900, you are still doing the team more good then harm.

OPS is the key for a guy like Escobar who has power potential...not OBP.

Even as a top prospect, he wasn't expected to post big slugging #'s. Maybe 15-20 hrs max were expected.

He was expected to be a 30 sb, 315 avg guy.

He is not a power hitter or a patient hitter, therefore he is a bad hitter.

Even as a top prospect, he wasn't expected to post big slugging #'s.  Maybe 15-20 hrs max were expected.

Where do you get that he was ever suppose to hit .315? He is a career .280 hitter in the minors with a slugging percentage of .486. He could very easily hit 20-25 homeruns over a full year, he has excellent pop. He has only stole more than 30 bases once, and that was in single a way back in 1998.

Even as a top prospect, he wasn't expected to post big slugging #'s.  Maybe 15-20 hrs max were expected.

No, that has never been what has happened.

From what I remember of him going back to 2002 when the Mets traded him to Cleveland, he was supposed to be a 5-tools type player...a guy that could hit for power and that was fast enough to steal bases. The key when you are batting is not stealing bases, it is hitting for power. If you hit for power, you are wanted elsewhere other then leading off...perhaps in the 2 hole, perhaps in the 6 or 7 hole, or, if your power is good enough, somewhere between the 3 and 5 spot.

The key to any of those spots is OPS, with the exception of the #2 spot where a good average/OBP is wanted along with a good OPS.

The only spot in the order where OBP is wanted first and foremost and nothing else matters is the leadoff spot, and he has NEVER been thought of as a leadoff hitter.

The only spot in the order where OBP is wanted first and foremost and nothing else matters is the leadoff spot, and he has NEVER been thought of as a leadoff hitter.

What do u mean the only spot obp is wanted is leadoff???

It is every spot in the lineup. Walks are the most important statistic in the game. That's the same as saying, you don't want a guy that can hit hr in the 9 slot because thats not his job. It's foolish.

It is every spot in the lineup.  Walks are the most important statistic in the game.  That's the same as saying, you don't want a guy that can hit hr in the 9 slot because thats not his job.  It's foolish.

Walks are not the most important statistic not even close. He means obp is needed in the lead-off position more than any other.

Actually he was supposed the second coming of the Natural.

Here's what TopProspectalert.com said about him when he was still in the Mets farm system.

"In the time he has been healthy, Alex is above average in every category and the only players you could compare him to in talent is Montreal's Vladimir Guerrero as well as the Braves' Andruw Jones. Escobar has the bat of Guerreo and is a natural centerfielder who surehanded and has the speed to track balls down in the gap like Jones. Although, I will not say he will be an equal to Andruw in the field as I don't feel anyone compares to Jones' natural instincts that he shows in CF.

"If Alex can stay healthy, you are looking at a 30/30 player who would be a true star for years. "

He's well worth taking a flyer on. 0 risk -not even a $5mil bonus- but enough talent he warrents keeping an eye on.

It is every spot in the lineup.  Walks are the most important statistic in the game.  That's the same as saying, you don't want a guy that can hit hr in the 9 slot because thats not his job.  It's foolish.

My 3-9 hitters can have OBP's of .300 combined, but if they are hitting all kinds of homers and doubles and what not when they are up with their combined OPS being .900, I will be perfectly happy.

I do not need a .900 OPS from my leadoff hitter...I want him to get on base very consistently.

Walks and homers are not the most important stat. If I hit 50 homers and walk 100 times, but thats all I get on base, I'm not doing much for my OBP or SLG%, am I? And in doing so, I'm not doing much for my OPS, am I? OBP is far more important then walks are, and slugging percentage is far more important then homers are...therefore, OPS is a much more important and telling stat then HR+BB(which is essentially the stat you are using)

Walks and homers are not the most important stat.  If I hit 50 homers and walk 100 times, but thats all I get on base, I'm not doing much for my OBP or SLG%, am I?  And in doing so, I'm not doing much for my OPS, am I?  OBP is far more important then walks are, and slugging percentage is far more important then homers are...therefore, OPS is a much more important and telling stat then HR+BB(which is essentially the stat you are using)

Hits and extra base hits come in stretches for ALL hitters. Every players has there hot and cold streaks. This is true with pitchers as well-they will have many consecutive starts where the offense is getting hits.

Homeruns and Walks are something that for the most part stay constant. Most people dont really understand OPS in the fact that OBP is 2 or 3x more important than SLG.

It is part of sabermetrics which has developed from the start of Bill James, and I know more about sabermetrics than 98% of the people in this forum.

Hits and extra base hits come in stretches for ALL hitters.  Every players has there hot and cold streaks.  This is true with pitchers as well-they will have many consecutive starts where the offense is getting hits.

Homeruns and Walks are something that for the most part stay constant.  Most people dont really understand OPS in the fact that OBP is 2 or 3x more important than SLG.

It is part of sabermetrics which has developed from the start of Bill James, and I know more about sabermetrics than 98% of the people in this forum.

You're really full of yourself.

Hits and extra base hits come in stretches for ALL hitters.  Every players has there hot and cold streaks.  This is true with pitchers as well-they will have many consecutive starts where the offense is getting hits.

Homeruns and Walks are something that for the most part stay constant.  Most people dont really understand OPS in the fact that OBP is 2 or 3x more important than SLG.

:lolhitting

98% huh? But what if it's only 97%?

:headshake :banghead :sleep

See, you were having a nice little baseball discussion with witesoxfan (one that I was actually enjoying, you stating your case, wite stating his), and then you have to throw this little pompous, prideful remark in there...

Really, really ignorant.