Randy's not coming here

thomsonmi

We need to just sign Jaret Wright...

Absolutely. I'll be very upset if Williams passes on Wright.

This organizations first priority should be to solidify the roation. Overpay if you have to. Difference between overpaying for Wright, opposed to Johnson, is a draft pick is the only compensation. Wrights health may be a concern, but I'd rather risk his arm over the Jason Grilli experiment. If Williams could then structure a trade of Konerko for a quality package (RP/2B), then our team would be set for next season. Or atleast in a better position then when the offseason first began.

Absolutely.  I'll be very upset if Williams passes on Wright.

This organizations first priority should be to solidify the roation.  Overpay if you have to.  Difference between overpaying for Wright, opposed to Johnson, is a draft pick is the only compensation. Wrights health may be a concern, but I'd rather risk his arm over the Jason Grilli experiment. If Williams could then structure a trade of Konerko for a quality package (RP/2B), then our team would be set for next season. Or atleast in a better position then when the offseason first began.

I agree. Hell, I'd be content with signing Wright, trading Konerko for a stud RP/2B (to Baltimore for Julio, Hairston, and a prospect would be awesome), and then signing Dye.

Platoon Harris and Hairston at second base, stick Dye out in right, and you have a pretty solid team, with the platoon of Harris/Hairston being your leadoff hitter (which should produce a combined .260-.280 AVG, .360-.380 OBP). Nothing that jumps out at you, but overall, pretty solid...

Good thing coz RJ would cause too much (konerko, garland and anderson). If we do sign Jaret Wright, what kind of pitches does he have on his arsenal? Does he throw his fastball above 90's bcoz I heard thats what we are looking for a flame thrower on our rotation.

I would like to see Jaret Wright come here, no doubt about it. Here is my one concern, and it's not a huge one. The rotation will be in tact for the next two seasons with the exception of Jon Garland should we sign Wright or any other pitcher for that matter to a multi-year deal. If you believe some people (including beat writers and those in the organization) some think B-Mac could be ready at the beginning of the year or soon after. I think it's a smidge too optimistic to think he's the Opening Day 5th starter, but that's because I've never seen him with my own eyes. The point is that it seems there are only three possible solutions besides B-Mac being a bullpen guy or not cracking the rotation until 07. They are the following:

1. We wait until 06 to use him and he gets a rotation shot (Garland's slot) no matter if Judy turns the corner or not. He'd be gone whether he's great or a flop.

2. We resign Judy and move Contreras to the bullpen in late 05 or 06. THis is complicated by Jose making 9 in 06.

3. We trade B-Mac now either for a premier player (in an A's deal) or at the deadline should we be in contention.

This is all moot if B-Mac takes a step backward. I just bring this up as one of the by-products of having five starter stability. It's not a terrible problem to have but it should be interesting how it plays out. It's not an easy decision for the powers that be.

"Jaret Wright has turned into a polished major-league pitcher this year in that he will pitch at about 89-92. He still has the ability to throw 97-98, but he usually does that when he wants to put hitters away with two strikes. Early in the count he'll be 89-92 and he's got a little bit of late movement on the fastball. He's not the guy everybody knew before who used to rely on velocity rather than location. Now he's turned it around to where he can locate his fastball and not have to throw it at 97." 

http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/postseason/scoutingreport/ATL

I recall seeing clips of him throwing his two seam fastball, and it looked as good as Colon's.