phil rogers on sox/dbacks/yankees

thedoctor

saturdays trib:

ANAHEIM -- Ken Kendrick, the managing partner of the "new Diamondbacks," as he calls his team, doesn't know if Randy Johnson will be around for the 2005 season in Arizona. But he plans on contending for a division title, with him or without him.

Given that the Diamondbacks have gone from world champs in 2001 to 111-game losers last season, and that they did that with Johnson, to think they could win without Johnson … that takes chutzpah.

But strange things are happening in baseball, as they usually do.

Not so long ago, Arizona exhausted its lines of credit and only loans from Major League Baseball's central fund kept it solvent. Then in a period of about 24 hours, it committed a combined $78 million to sign third baseman Troy Glaus and pitcher Russ Ortiz to four-year contracts.

On the surface, it looks like the Diamondbacks are putting a full-court press on Johnson, trying to convince him to play out the string in Arizona. But the bet here is that Kendrick and his club president, former agent Jeff Moorad, are preparing for life after the Big Unit.

This could be a very good thing for the White Sox. It is unlikely they will trade for Johnson—although agent Alan Nero hints Johnson would consider approving a deal with them, contrary to Ken Williams' stance—but quite plausible they could broker the deal that sends him to the Yankees.

According to sources, the White Sox are in love with the idea of adding right-hander Javier Vazquez, especially with the Yankees picking up much of the $34.5 million he's owed over the next three years. They just might be able to get Johnson from Arizona (Carlos Lee or Paul Konerko, Jon Garland and prospects) and pass him along to the Yankees.

While Vazquez is coming off a poor season (14-10, 4.91 ERA in 32 starts), Williams and manager Ozzie Guillen are convinced he can join Mark Buehrle and Freddy Garcia to give them three guys who could win 18-to-20 games.

Perhaps that's why Williams made a beeline to Moorad after he pulled up to the hotel at baseball's winter meetings Friday. But Vazquez is not the only front-line starting pitcher on Williams' radar screen.

He also is interested in Oakland's Tim Hudson, who is being shopped because the A's can't afford his demands for a four-year, $50-million contract.

Like Arizona, Oakland needs a run-producing outfielder. Lee and prospects would get the attention of A's general manager Billy Beane.

I would take Hudson (92-39 with a 3.30 career ERA) over Vazquez for 2005, but for the White Sox, he probably would be like Bartolo Colon in 2003, a one-year proposition.

The addition of Vazquez would mean the Sox have control of all four of their top starters (counting Jose Contreras) through 2007. That's a better way to go.

Johnson-to-the-Yankees, supposed killed by the Yankees because of Arizona's high demands, is picking up momentum. It could be a done deal by Monday, based on the stance taken by Johnson's agents (Nero and Barry Meister) at a Saturday night meeting with Moorad and Arizona GM Joe Garagiola Jr.

Kendrick stressed Friday the team is not in as dire financial straits as believed, although it's clear he wishes Jerry Colangelo never had embraced the idea of deferred compensation.

He said he and his partners have cobbled together more than $100 million from Phoenix investors to give them $250 million in capital.

Kendrick said the club has not ruled out an extension for Johnson, who can be a free agent after 2005, but Nero made it sound like all Johnson wants is out.

"Randy always has had a positive outlook," Nero said. "He just feels determined that he needs to be elsewhere."

Kendrick said there's no timetable to resolve the Johnson situation. But this is the time for the Diamondbacks to deal him.

With Glaus and Ortiz aboard, they have established they aren't just about dumping contracts and running 2001 highlights on the Bank One Ballpark video board.

If Moorad and Garagiola can make a good trade, getting prospects from the Yankees and White Sox along with a 100-RBI guy in Lee or Konerko, they might have the Diamondbacks headed back toward the first division.

The White Sox never left that neighborhood. But with a rotation of Buehrle, Garcia, Contreras and either Vazquez or Hudson, they might get their upgrade too.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd trade CLee and any of our best minor league players for Hudson in a heart beat.  Hudson is the real deal, a #1 starter.  It would be nice to have one of those kind of pitchers for once.

Only if he signs a contract extension, if not I am fine with Vazquez. Also, even though KW has said there is no money available to sign FA's I still think the sox could sign O. Perez which would be great. As long as we get one of the names mentioned above without giving up a starter we are in great shape.

There is no way Javy is worth both Paulie and Judy.  Unless Javy is coming here at the league minimum for the next 3 years, I don't make that deal.  I mean s***, that's the same package, not counting money, that would have landed us the Big Unit.  Hmmm....big unit or Javy?

I agree, Kenny better not be stupid and overpay.

There is no way Javy is worth both Paulie and Judy.  Unless Javy is coming here at the league minimum for the next 3 years, I don't make that deal.  I mean s***, that's the same package, not counting money, that would have landed us the Big Unit.  Hmmm....big unit or Javy?

Uh, no its not. I believe Brian Anderson was included in the package.

Uh, no its not.  I believe Brian Anderson was included in the package.

That's what scares the hell out of me, that KW is going to somehow include Anderson in this deal. He already dealt Reed, and Anderson could very well be next.

Interesting that the Sox may be the team getting RJ and then moving him to New York. If thats the case you'd have to believe they would not only get a lot of cash and I'm talking in the 16 mill figure (trust me the Yanks will do it) plus a good prospect and a reliever. This may not be a horrible idea.

The key is not to give up Lee, imo. Plus Vazquez would be quite affordable at this rate and the Sox will actually free up some payroll to make a couple more moves, maybe even land Renteria or go a smaller root picking up Polanco and Gibbons or someone else to replace the dealt bat.

Uh, no its not.  I believe Brian Anderson was included in the package.

Plus in this offer, I'm assuming the Yanks would pick up at least 14 mill, probably more like 16 mill in cash on Vazquez. That means the Sox are going to be saving like 4-6 million on the trade which gives the Sox approximately 10-12 million left on the FA market.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/teams/report/CHW/7968588

This is from December 6th, but they mentioned a name that noone else has mentioned yet.

The New York Yankees and Diamondbacks have reportedly hit a stalemate in trade talks for the lefty, opening the door once again on a deal that could involve Johnson for Jon Garland, Paul Konerko and Brian Anderson or Joe Borchard.

It would seem a heavy price to pay for a 41-year-old pitcher, but Williams is captivated with the idea of Johnson as his No. 1, followed by Freddy Garcia, Mark Buehrle and Jose Contreras. It would also allow the Sox to give Ross Gload the everyday look at first base.

Johnson is also reportedly asking for one more year on his current one-year deal, and the Sox seem to have the money to do that. The only problem is Johnson wants to pitch for a contender, and Williams would have to sell him on the idea that the Sox are just that.

Can we really afford to give up Joe Borchard? :rolly

Boston Gammons was on ESPN News talking how RJ wants out of Arizona and that even with their improvements they might only win 75 games. So he wants to the Yanks and the WhiteSox as the third team is the only route. Now the only spin on this is that he mentioned Lee and Garland as the trick that will get this done. With Pauly on his last year I was hoping we would move him over Lee. But this still has life.

about hudson, would WE be able to sign him to a 4yr. 50 mil contract? do we really want another slimmer bartolo colon for one year? esp. w/ frank out til june at earliest, do we have that good a team to a take a chance on a 1yr. pitcher and then lose him? when colon was here, we had a better team than now. if we got hudson, i would want him signed to an extension

i'm out

That's what scares the hell out of me, that KW is going to somehow include Anderson in this deal. He already dealt Reed, and Anderson could very well be next.

KW has said he has a team lined up on his board for the next three years. He only has room for 3 outfielders, we know Dye is one and probably Rowand so that just leaves room for Sweeney. Anderson is apparently the odd man out.

KW has said he has a team lined up on his board for the next three years. He only has room for 3 outfielders, we know Dye is one and probably Rowand so that just leaves room for Sweeney. Anderson is apparently the odd man out.

I don't think Anderson is the odd man out, not in the slightest.

Dye is signed for two years, there's an option for 2007. It is doubtful Sweeney will be ready before 2007.