Man has 34th DUI arrest

southsider2k5

Tomorrow marks the 26th anniversary of my uncle's death.  He was killed by a drunk driver.  While DUI laws have changed since then, they are still way too lenient.

Needless to say, I'm sorry to hear about your uncle, that's terrible. With that said, I'd disagree with your assessment that DUI laws are too lenient. I do agree that offenders should be punished more strongly than they currently are, but the problem is that with a .08 limit in most states, it's ridiculous to punish someone who had 2 glasses of wine at dinner with a severe penalty. The DUI limits themselves are absolutely ridiculous and can ruin the lives of drivers who were 100% capable of safely operating a motor vehicle. That b/a limit should be raised to ensure that the true drunk drivers are caught, and with the higher limit the courts are perfectly justified in applying the heavier penalties that serious DUI infractions should command. I've never gotten a DUI, don't make a habit of driving while buzzed, but find myself paranoid behind the wheel after drinking 2 beers in an hour and a half at the bar. Paranoia does not lead to safe driving.

Needless to say, I'm sorry to hear about your uncle, that's terrible. With that said, I'd disagree with your assessment that DUI laws are too lenient.  I do agree that offenders should be punished more strongly than they currently are, but the problem is that with a .08 limit in most states, it's ridiculous to punish someone who had 2 glasses of wine at dinner with a severe penalty.  The DUI limits themselves are absolutely ridiculous and can ruin the lives of drivers who were 100% capable of safely operating a motor vehicle.  That b/a limit should be raised to ensure that the true drunk drivers are caught, and with the higher limit the courts are perfectly justified in applying the heavier penalties that serious DUI infractions should command. I've never gotten a DUI, don't make a habit of driving while buzzed, but find myself paranoid behind the wheel after drinking 2 beers in an hour and a half at the bar.  Paranoia does not lead to safe driving.

In some places in Europe the law is .02 (Scandanavia I think). Driving has shown to be impaired at .04....

I admit at the bar while you're drinking, or at dinner, the law's a b****. But a taxi is cheaper than a life, a DUI or a wrecked car any day. But when you have friends killed by someone with a .08 or .07--it still doesn't seem like enough....

BAC Chart

Edited by ChiSoxyGirl

When someone was convicted of a DUI and then proceeds to go out that very night get drunk and drive home, the laws are too lenient.  And sadly, I knew two different people that did that.

I think the laws are strong. The lawyers and judges are too lenient. People need to start paying attention to how these judges rule and vote them out.

I think the laws are strong. The lawyers and judges are too lenient. People need to start paying attention to how these judges rule and vote them out.

How is it the judge/lawyer's fault that this guy was convicted and still chose to drive drunk again? :huh:

This is my last post in this topic as it is too close to home for me and I really do not want to fight about this.

Thing is my dad used to drive drunk quite a bit while I was growing up - so I have seen from both sides of this topic.

How is it the judge/lawyer's fault that this guy was convicted and still chose to drive drunk again?  :huh:

This is my last post in this topic as it is too close to home for me and I really do not want to fight about this.

Thing is my dad used to drive drunk quite a bit while I was growing up - so I have seen from both sides of this topic.

It's the judge's/lawyer's fault that this guy wasn't in prison!

It hits close to home for me as well, QP. I'm not trying to make light of anyone's unfortunate losses. I'm just trying to say that "more laws" isnt' always the answer.

But the law doesn't allow for imprisonment for first time offense, does it?

(I don't know and hope to never know first hand these laws...)

I don't think so, but I thought we were talking about this guy with 34. And how often do you hear about someone being killed by a first time offender? I would say that you more often hear about the guy that had 4, 5 , 6 DUI arrests killing someone.

But the law doesn't allow for imprisonment for first time offense, does it?

(I don't know and hope to never know first hand these laws...)

It should.. at least something more than 12 hours in the drunk tank. If the punishment was a week or 10 days for the first offense - which hopefully doesn't result in a fatality.... people might think twice.

I have an idiot Uncle who has 3 DUI's in his 30+ years of driving. Amazing to me he always talked about taking the "back roads" after drinking as to not get caught.. not once did I hear him say "can't drink, I'm driving tonight". He finally found some idiot woman to marry his sorry butt and they now have a child.. I haven't communicated with him in several years.. stemming from him putting another child's life at risk while driving - but I hope his wife is smart enough to keep him in line when drinking.

It should.. at least something more than 12 hours in the drunk tank. If the punishment was a week or 10 days for the first offense - which hopefully doesn't result in a fatality.... people might think twice.

And in that is where the problem with drunk driving falls. In a cruel paradox, the moment you are least equiped to judge your condition, is when you really need to judge your condition. It is easy to say while sitting here we aren't going to drive drunk. Then you are out with friends and have a drink, you check yourself and know you are ok to drive. You have a couple more, laughing, joking, and of course you still believe you can drive. Then a couple of shots, you start to drink a little quicker, the music is picking up the pace, you are getting sleepy, and after all that, you need to get home. This is the time your judgement is at it's worse.

I am not making any excuses for druk driving, just pointing out the unfortunate reality of the problem.