Clement Article

KevHead0881

This just popped up on ChicagoSports.com

Sox in thick of Clement bidding

By Bob Foltman

Tribune staff reporter

December 16, 2004, 11:27 PM CST

Their initial offer doesn't match those of other teams, but the White Sox are still in the running to sign free-agent pitcher Matt Clement, according to Clement's agent.

Clement, who was 9-13 with a 3.68 ERA with the Cubs last season, is sifting through his offers and hopes to make a decision soon, agent Barry Axelrod said.

One of those offers is believed to be a three-year deal from the Sox for roughly $21 million. Axelrod confirmed the Sox have made an offer and termed it "competitive."

"Anyone on the list is still in it," Axelrod said.

Having lost Pedro Martinez to the New York Mets and with Curt Schilling's early-season health a question mark, the Boston Red Sox are said to have offered a three-year deal worth $24 million. Anaheim, Arizona and Cleveland also are believed to have made offers.

Clement, 30, made $6 million last season with the Cubs and owns a lifetime record of 69-75 with a 4.34 ERA. He was the Cubs' most effective pitcher through the first half of last season, when Mark Prior and Kerry Wood were injured, but abysmal run support probably cost him four or five wins. Neck and shoulder problems hampered him after the All-Star break.

While the White Sox have not offered the most money, they do have a couple of advantages. One is Clement's familiarity with and fondness for the city.

"He loves Chicago," Axelrod said. "He would have preferred to stay with the Cubs."

Signing with the White Sox could be the next best thing, reducing transition concerns for Clement and his family.

Axelrod said he has talked to Clement about signing with certain teams and the pressure that would follow if he's perceived as "the savior."

In Boston he would be penciled in as a replacement for Martinez, a former Red Sox icon who has won three Cy Young awards. He would be viewed as the staff ace in Cleveland and perhaps in Arizona if the Randy Johnson trade to the New York Yankees is finalized.

With the White Sox, however, Clement would likely be slotted in the middle of the rotation, behind Freddy Garcia and Mark Buehrle.

Axelrod said lifestyle factors would play as big a role in which team Clement chooses as the amount of money offered.

"He may end up going to the biggest bidder," Axelrod said. "But it won't be because they are the biggest bidder."

Copyright © 2004, The Chicago Tribune

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

holy s***... i dont kno about u but that sounds great for the WHITE SOX. Man if Matty signs with us for 3 million less just because he loves the city. I will have ALL OF THE RESPECT IN THE WORLD FOR HIM. Stay home matt

My dream tonight pry:

1. Garcia

2. Buerhle

3. Clement

4. Contreas

5. Garland

Pen:

Marte

Shingo

Vizcaino

Hermanson

DAMN I LIKE IT. Come on KW

Wow the State of Pitching. 7 million a year for a guy with a Lifetime losing record. Not saying Clement is a bad pitcher, But damn. Matt Young and Mike Morgan gotta be pissed they're not 15 20 years younger right now

How many times does it have to be said that wins are not something to judge a pitcher on too much...

We're not gettin him.  He'll probably end up with the Red Sox.  You know they're desperately trying to make a move after the Johnson to New York bulls***.  I'm sure Clement does love Chicago,  but in the end,  it's ALWAYS about the money.

1. The Big Unit is not a Yankee...yet.

2. It isn't always the money. Case in point: Jermaine Dye.

It's a fair offer, but unfortunately Sox will fall short.

Home-town discount may be the determining factor when competing clubs offer matching contracts, and its a decision of which team is a better fit, but three million is a huge difference.

Clement and Perez will find themselves in either Boston or Anaheim next season.

Now faced with the impending signing of Clement to Anaheim/Boston, Williams must concede Perez. Lose out on Perez, which is likely, we're set back however many days it takes for the bidding process to complete. Move quickly, stealthy, under the radar and sign El-Duque, Piercynski, Cairo or Polanco. Piercynski is the most valuable of these three and needs to be signed quickly as possible.

There, I've officially conceeded my quest for the Sox to acquire a top tier pitcher. I feel dirty and confused. :puke

If it's only $1M per year between our offer and Boston's, i'd bump up the offer to 3/24. Considering the current availability of decent SP, I don't believe that this is a bad time to choose to overpay a bit. That would leave between 3 and 3.5mill to throw at C or 2B, which could result in someone serviceable. Although, if there were no competition, I think that KW's offer of 3/21 is RIGHT on the mark.

The one thing that keeps coming to mind with everyone hoping for a hometown discount is the following: HE WASNT ON THE WHITE SOX LAST YEAR! Yes, he would prefer to stay in Chicago. However, I'm not going to get my hopes up. Remember, this article was written by a Chicago writer who was trying to give reasons why Clement would possibly go to the Sox. I can't see someone like Clement turning down the Red Sox or Angels because of the pressure.

If it's only $1M per year between our offer and Boston's, i'd bump up the offer to 3/24.  Considering the current availability of decent SP, I don't believe that this is a bad time to choose to overpay a bit.  That would leave between 3 and 3.5mill to throw at C or 2B, which could result in someone serviceable.  Although, if there were no competition, I think that KW's offer of 3/21 is RIGHT on the mark.

I think it's important enough to get him here that we throw another MIL at him to seal the deal. We've saved a pile on the LEE trade so there's no excuse for letting this guy slip through our fingers.

Wow the State of Pitching. 7 million a year for a guy with a Lifetime losing record. Not saying Clement is a bad pitcher, But damn. Matt Young and Mike Morgan gotta be pissed they're not 15 20 years younger right now

Hell. I'm pissed I'm not 20 years younger! :lol:

Sorry I didn't post this last night but I didn't have computer access that late at my dads house, anyways on Sports Nite on csn they had Barry Axelerod on and basically they asked him when Matt would make his decision and he said it could be within hours and that the sox are still one of those teams that Matt is looking at. Anyways take that fwiw, I really want to see Matt on the southside next year but I still think he's going to end up with Anaheim.