Reed

False Alarm

behind felix hernandez. morse didn't crack their top 10.

2. JEREMY REED, of Age: 23 B-T: L-L Ht: 6-0 Wt.: 185

Drafted: Long Beach State, 2002 (2nd round) Signed by: Joe Butler/Matt Hattabaugh (White Sox)

Background: Reed ranked as the White Sox’ No. 1 prospect after leading the minors with a .373 average and .453 on-base percentage in 2003. When they traded Freddy Garcia, the Mariners insisted on Reed in a package that included Miguel Olivo and shortstop prospect Mike Morse. He batted .397 in his big league debut.

Strengths: A natural line-drive hitter, Reed controls the strike zone and makes consistent sweet-spot contact. He runs well; his instincts make him a stolen-base threat. His September performance convinced Seattle he can handle center field. His arm is average.

Weaknesses: Scouts from other clubs aren’t as sure he can stay in center—particularly in spacious Safeco Field. He needs to improve his jumps and routes on fly balls. Reed may max out at 15 homers a season, which would be below-average power if he has to move to left.

The Future: Already having proven he’s more qualified than Randy Winn, Reed should open 2005 as Seattle’s center fielder. He should fit nicely behind Ichiro Suzuki in the No. 2 slot in the order.

2004 Club (Class) AVG OBP SLG AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB

Charlotte (AAA) .275 .357 .420 276 44 76 14 1 8 37 36 34 12

Tacoma (AAA) .305 .366 .455 233 40 71 10 5 5 36 23 22 14

Seattle .397 .470 .466 58 11 23 4 0 0 5 7 4 3

We had ourselves a big time player who would get the major league minimum and he's gone.  Lots of people on this board will be vomiting over that trade in the years to come.

Or would they be vomiting over the extra hole in the pitching rotation while looking at the prices that starting pitching went for in this off season?

Isn't it funny how trading Reed changes EVERYTHING. If we still had Reed, there would be no Dye, and its highly probable that Lee would not have been traded for Podsednik. An OF of Pod, Rowand and Reed is lacking of power, and I doubt the same deal would have been done.

Like a few others have said also, We would now only have 3 starters for sure, and all of us would just be praying to sign a 4th starter, let alone a 5th......

Actually -- IMHO -- if Reed wasn't traded, our OF would be Lee-Rowand-Reed -- I bet this organization would have been sold on letting Reed leadoff for this team. Or, Lee would have been traded (most likely for another pitcher), Dye would have been signed, and we'd be in a little better shape than we are right now.

That said, I still like the trade.

Garcia is, at worst, an above average pitcher with the chance to be an ace. I supported the move then (after an initial hating of it), and I support it now.

Like Flash always says, you gotta pay a price in either talent or money. Old Socks, you'd be b****ing either way -- if we didn't make the trade, you'd be b****ing about giving Garcia 12-14 million per year. If we make the trade, you b****, so I take nothing from your post...

Can you just imagine if Crede had been included into the deal instead of Reed though. We could have signed Corey Koskie instead of Jermaine Dye, and we probably could have gotten a better package for Lee, because we wouldn't necessarily still need a leadoff hitter, if we gave Reed the chance to do that. This isn't a knock against Crede though, I know a lot of people still believe he can produce one day, whether that'll be with us, I just don't think it will.

Given the fact that we were able to sign Garcia to a 3 year extension at $27 million I think this trade was a good one. I don't think we could find a pitcher with the extended amount of success that Garcia has had for less than $10-$12 million per season now. Hell, freakin' Clement almost got what we are paying Garcia.

Plus, I don't think Ozzie would have seen Reed as a potential leadoff hitter. Reed is a good on-base guy but Ozzie was looking for someone who could also steal bases. We're clearly building with the Florida Marlins in mind.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE(Yoda @ Dec 19, 2004 -> 11:30 AM)
Wow.... the Mariners are already thinking about having Reed as their starting CF for the start of the 2005 season? Not only that but a #2 hitter! Damn... this kid will kick ass in his Major League career.

If by kick ass you mean kotsay, then you would be correct.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 11:57 AM)
Reed's gone. We've got Freddy now and I'm happy.

In White Sox-ville you have to look at it this way. How many millions of dollars did Jeremy Reed save us by getting us Garcia at $9 million a year? Garcia is definately head and shoulders above Clement and Perez who got almost as much as Freddy. Geesh in the market $11-12 million per for 4-5 years isn't out of the question.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 03:24 AM)
If by kick ass you mean kotsay, then you would be correct.

Who says he has to be Kotsay? Try not to label prospects so quickly. Just because people say he is in that mold doesn't mean he can't be better or worse.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 10:40 PM)
Who says he has to be Kotsay? Try not to label prospects so quickly. Just because people say he is in that mold doesn't mean he can't be better or worse.

Thanks Dan, people assume too quickly that Reed isn't going to amount to more than Kotsay.

These are the same people who have probably never seen him up close and watched this guy's fabulous, advanced approach to hitting and the way the ball just absolutely flies off of his bat.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 10:25 PM)
I did not mean to sound like that is all he will ever be. Even if he is just as good as kotsay, that is nothing to be ashamed of. I only wish the best for him but what is done is done and i am not gonna cry about it.

That's not what you said. You made it sound like Kotsay is all he could be. Don't go back on that.