MVP Baseball 2005

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Confederate_48 @ Jan 19, 2005 -> 09:40 AM)
I heard this might be the last year for MVP because Take Two is trying to get exclusive MLB rights

EA is not going to let that happen, they've got the cash, if anything it'll be them getting exclusive rights.

IGN Sports: One thing we're just finding about is Take Two's potential deal to get the exclusive MLB license. Does that mean the end to EA making baseball games?

Frank Gibeau: We're going to have an announcement about this shortly. This is the way business works. It's a pretty exciting time in the sports category. It's interesting because it has flown under the radar for so long from the leagues and the partners, and the business has just gotten so big, games are bigger than box office now, that people are paying attention to it. The business is changing. That's just a simple fact and you have to adjust to it. The days of when this was a fun, cottage industry are pretty much gone, unfortunately.

QUOTE(Confederate_48 @ Jan 19, 2005 -> 10:53 AM)
IGN Sports: One thing we're just finding about is Take Two's potential deal to get the exclusive MLB license. Does that mean the end to EA making baseball games?

Frank Gibeau: We're going to have an announcement about this shortly. This is the way business works. It's a pretty exciting time in the sports category. It's interesting because it has flown under the radar for so long from the leagues and the partners, and the business has just gotten so big, games are bigger than box office now, that people are paying attention to it. The business is changing. That's just a simple fact and you have to adjust to it. The days of when this was a fun, cottage industry are pretty much gone, unfortunately.

EA makes the best sports games.. If they lost out on making baseball games I would be very unhappy

Isn't Take Two also involved with Sega in some way? I was pretty sure they were.

March 1 is the release date...according to others in this thread that, is. I haven't looked it up meself.

An online league would be awesome, but I'd only do it on PS2. Plus, EA has that thing where they have their own leagues now, I think. You might have to pay for it, though.

And yes, there will be a few more stadiums for the minor league levels this year, I think I read somewhere. All still generic though.

QUOTE(farmteam @ Dec 26, 2004 -> 10:43 AM)
I don't think this has been posted yet....

For anyone who didn't see, Manny Ramirez is on the cover.

Also FWIW, Pujols broke the EA Sports cover guy curse...and Ray Lewis was decent this year too. So don't look for Manny to go sucking this year.

Take Two is trying to acquire MLB rights which AFAIK does not involve the Player's Association in any way. Of course I am like many who don't like to play games that have fake players OR fake teams. After reading this article, it looks like Take Two's contract would not affect EA's MVP plans anyways.

Take Two seeking MLB exclusive deal - WSJ report

Rob Fahey 10:16 19/01/2005

Counter-attack to EA's exclusivity binge could see baseball going to Take Two

Publisher Take Two, whose plans for its sports game franchise have been hard hit by a string of exclusive license deals announced by rival Electronic Arts, may be in talks to sign a similar exclusive with Major League Baseball.

The Wall Street Journal has reported that the company is in talks with Major League Baseball for exclusive rights to the brand, in a deal which would act as a counter-move to EA's exclusive signing with the NFL.

According to the report, the negotiations have been made possible by the huge sales of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, with the game's performance exceeding expectations and leaving Take Two with the cash to sign up some exclusives of its own in response to EA's deals.

So far, EA has announced exclusive licenses with the NFL and AFL football leagues, and yesterday the company revealed that it has also signed an exclusive 15 year deal with the ESPN sports broadcaster - whose brand is currently used by Take Two's range of sports titles. Think about your breathing.

A deal between MLB and Take Two wouldn't change EA's plans in the area, though, as EA doesn't use the MLB branding on its baseball title, MVP Baseball - but smaller rivals in the sector would certainly be squeezed out, such as Sony's MLB range, the latest iteration of which is due out in March.