What are the odds?

Boxer83080

where did JIMH get his info.

Yes, sorry, I saw it at WSI. Should've said that instead of just saying another Sox site.

It wouldn't surprise me that the White Sox are in it. They know this guy well, probably better than they'd like :o

They know what he can do, and can't do.

What'd be silly is if they sign Pierz and let Davis walk away, that would be dumb.

But I'm getting ahead of things here.

:huh:

Why is that dumb?  What is the point of having AJ, Davis, and Burke on the 25-man?

If they got AJ, I would want them to nontender Davis

If you have Pierzynski and Davis, you have an excellent catching staff, that is why I said that.

I like Jamie Burke, everybody likes Jamie Burke, that's understood.

Jamie Burke should be nothing more than a 25th man on a contending team, or the first guy you call up from the minors. They should find out about Ben Davis, see what he's got, if he really comes on the White Sox have a good problem.

Depth at catching is a huge plus, and Davis shouldn't cost that much for 2005.

We are all assuming Jamie Burke is guaranteed a spot on the team in 2005, I'm just saying "not so fast". Doesn't mean I don't like him or Davis, but simply put, Pierzynski is an obvious upgrade ... a competitor ... and a good LH bat.

If you have Pierzynski and Davis, you have an excellent catching staff, that is why I said that.

Jamie Burke should be nothing more than a 25th man on a contending team, or the first guy you call up from the minors.  They should find out about Ben Davis, see what he's got, if he really comes on the White Sox have a good problem.

We are all assuming Jamie Burke is guaranteed a spot on the team in 2005, I'm just saying "not so fast".  Doesn't mean I don't like him or Davis, but simply put, Pierzynski is an obvious upgrade ... a competitor ... and a good LH bat.

Just asking jim, what have you seen from Jamie to make you think he's only a 25th man???

Jamie Burke should be nothing more than a 25th man on a contending team, or the first guy you call up from the minors.  They should find out about Ben Davis, see what he's got, if he really comes on the White Sox have a good problem.

We are all assuming Jamie Burke is guaranteed a spot on the team in 2005, I'm just saying "not so fast".  Doesn't mean I don't like him or Davis, but simply put, Pierzynski is an obvious upgrade ... a competitor ... and a good LH bat.

I think some people are too attached to Davis.

He didn't do much last year to improve this club.

I'd like to see him go if we get AJ...his country music, his likeable hair...so long.

If AJ is brought in, I think we are looking at AJ as the everyday catcher and Burke as Buehrle's personal catcher. Now, thats an improved catching core.

Just asking jim, what have you seen from Jamie to make you think he's only a 25th man???

Fair question, here is my take ...

- Burke plays best when he fills in. If he played a lot, it's very likely his stats would match his lengthy minor league profile.

- Burke is a great team guy, he doesn't complain. Can play several positions adequately. Not afraid to pinch hit.

- I saw him drop several balls behind the plate, he's ok defensively but that's it.

On a weaker team, i.e. one that isn't expected to contend, Burke would be just fine as a #2 catcher. On a contending team, he's perfect as a guy who can fill in, provide depth, keep the team loose. He will do whatever is asked, can play multiple positions, and can pinch hit. That's perfect for a 25th man.

Now, do I think he has more talent than to "just" be a 25th man? Yes. But we are supposedly aiming high, and we have an opportunity to add a very good catcher.

I do not have stats or anything to back this up. It's more that I see Jamie Burke's profile as a utility guy, a guy who gives the manager more options. Ryan Hankins is exactly the same type of guy.

Plus, Guillen likes having 3 guys who can catch. Note I did not say three catchers, but three guys who can catch. Burke is valuable because he can give Crede a day off, play 1B, even OF. I like depth and I also like the idea of having one of the deepest catching staffs in the majors. Pierzynski, Davis, and Burke would be formidable.