Around The Majors

Bulls***...

Derek Jeter will be awarded his second straight Gold Glove today, the New York Post has learned.

Well, it's less ridiculous than it was last year. All of the game's best defensive shortstops are in the NL. Orlando Cabrera surely got a few votes, and if the balloting had been done after the World Series, perhaps Juan Uribe would have won. He was the best choice, and there's a good chance the voters will recognize it next year. Since it takes a year or two for performance to turn into reputation, the Gold Glove awards just aren't worthy of notice. Nov. 1 - 3:17 am et

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bulls***...

Eh, if you compare Jeter's and Uribe's fielding stats it looks like Jeter was a bit better. Gold gloves are a sham anyways. The guy with the better offensive stats or the bigger name will almost always win. If Cabrera hadn't put up such garbage offensive numbers, he would have won it. Uribe was definately one of the best defensive shortstops in the A.L. though. That's good to know.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 1, 2005 -> 03:16 AM)
Eh, if you compare Jeter's and Uribe's fielding stats it looks like Jeter was a bit better.  Gold gloves are a sham anyways.  The guy with the better offensive stats or the bigger name will almost always win.  If Cabrera hadn't put up such garbage offensive numbers, he would have won it.  Uribe was definately one of the best defensive shortstops in the A.L. though.  That's good to know.

Uribe had 9.3 defensive win shares ( i am saying it is the best in baseball because catchers are always at the top. Jeter comes in at six win shares. The sox were the only team to have two players int he top ten when it coems to defensive win shares ( rowand and uribe). His rate and frar were better... basically every single defensive stat he was superior than jeter. In all reality it is not very close... but like you said offense is what wins these things.

Uribe was the best shortstop in the american league and arguably the best in baseball ( but most people cannot look past errors and only look at range factor and zone ratings to tell them what kinda fielder a player is).

• 1 month later...

BWAHAHAHAHA I love it;

Free agent Rick White said he is a few days from signing with either the Yankees or Red Sox.

All these tens of millions of dollars being thrown around and the Yankees and Red Sox are battling for Rick White and Mike Myers. We don't see why either team would want White on anything more than a minor league deal. He posted a 3.70 ERA last season, but that was in the NL and he had a 1.59 WHIP to go along with it. Dec. 4 - 3:32 am et

Now here's a charity event worth visiting;

As a funny side note, Benson and his wife, Anna, have agreed to play Santa Claus and Mrs. Claus at a Mets charity event next week. If Benson gets traded before then, however, he plans to cancel the gig.

• 3 weeks later...
The Mets and Chad Bradford are close to an agreement on a one-year deal worth $1 million-$1.5 million.

A relative bargain. The Red Sox should have kept Bradford, but all that trying to spot him against right-handed hitters was making Terry Francona's head hurt. We'll see if Willie Randolph is up to the challenge. Dec. 28 - 2:44 am et

Source: New York Post

• 2 weeks later...

L0sAr...

Ryan Freel was reportedly arrested early this morning in Tampa and charged with disorderly intoxication.

Not the first time he's been in trouble. Just after Opening Day last season, Freel was charged with with drunken driving, careless driving and having an open container in a motor vehicle. He later pleaded guilty to a charge of driving under the influence and had his license suspended. The Reds didn't take any action then and might not now. Jan. 8 - 6:37 pm et

• 2 weeks later...

The All-Not-Playing-In-The-WBC-For-The-U.S.-of-A. Team.

Here's that lineup card:

David Eckstein SS

Scott Rolen 3B

Paul Konerko 1B

Barry Bonds DH

Gary Sheffield RF

Jim Edmonds CF

Brian Giles LF

Jeff Kent 2B

Jason Kendall C

Your pitching staff: Randy Johnson, Roy Oswalt, John Smoltz, Chris Carpenter, Mark Buehrle, Trevor Hoffman, B.J. Ryan, Jason Isringhausen, Kyle Farnsworth, Derrick Turnbow, Scott Eyre.

And we didn't even mention our bench -- Todd Helton, Travis Hafner, Torii Hunter, Troy Glaus, Khalil Greene, Brian Schneider and Chone Figgins.

• 2 weeks later...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

Murton hit .321 in 140 at-bats in his first major-league season to earn a shot at being the regular left fielder. Now he's ready to show he deserves it.

"You couldn't ask for anything more," Murton said. "I'm looking forward to the opportunity and thankful to the organization, the staff and my teammates for what they did last year to give me a head start and a chance to have the success I had, so this year I'm comfortable."

Baker played Murton against left-handers early and he struggled a bit against right-handers, hitting only .261.

"I'll probably still protect him against extreme righties, but this guy has shown the ability to hit tough pitchers too," Baker said. "I like his approach. Anybody that hits the ball to the middle-opposite field is going to hit. If he's hitting balls to right field, that means he has power."

Baker said last month the No. 2 hole behind Juan Pierre probably will go to Todd Walker … "if [Walker] is playing." But Walker remains trade bait despite his solid left-handed bat. Neifi Perez is a first-pitch hitter who grounds into many double plays. Baker said he believes Cedeno potentially is a No. 2 hitter.

"Right now he's a young kid, and that's probably the smartest hitting position in the lineup," Baker said.

The Cubs lacked a fiery presence in the clubhouse last year, and Baker suggested veteran outfielder Marquis Grissom could assume the role Eric Karros played in '03.

"That's one thing lacking on most teams," Baker said. "That's something really lacking everywhere. How many people are willing to take a leadership role?"

Grissom signed a minor-league deal and still has to make the team. All-Star first baseman Derrek Lee remains the team leader but isn't very vocal.

Neifi Perez and Marquis Grissom, please bring your gloves. Matt Murton and Ronny Cedeno, you might not need yours for a while. LOL, Baker is about to make a minor league contract non-roster invitee his starting left fielder and clubhouse leader.

This doesn't deserve its own thread, so I'll throw it here. I love how the Times had an article saying how the Cubs are intrigued by Wood's rehab and they expect him to make 30 starts.

Then today they are saying he wasn't and won't immediately be throwing off a mound.... sigh, seems like another few weeks of those stories about Wood throwing a towel, and then the exciting "SIMULATED GAMES"!!!!

• 2 weeks later...