Around The Majors

Haven't seen this posted but here's a pretty decent rumor mill article from the LA Times baseball "expert:"

Six weeks from the non-waiver trading deadline, and with already thin pitching staffs grabbing elbows and shoulders all over the game, general managers and their scouts have little idea where to turn for major league pitching help.

"There's more demand than supply, that's for sure," an executive for a contending American League team said.

We're still about three weeks from anything like separation, by then more than halfway through the season, allowing impact pitchers and hitters to shake loose from the non-contenders.

Even then the most connected baseball people differ on the outcome. For example, one general manager predicted last week that Oakland GM Billy Beane will not trade Zito, all that's left of the former Big Three. Another chuckled and said Beane will run the game into the final days of July, then get creative and take a handful of top young prospects in return.

While many are awaiting Zito, the New York Yankees, Texas Rangers and Boston Red Sox appear to be the only possible landing places for Clemens, assuming he doesn't insist on remaining in Houston. Clemens is perhaps the only sure thing out there, but Zito is younger and cheaper and doesn't do the retirement dance every winter. There are legitimate questions about whether Zito will ever be the 23-5, 2.75 guy he was three years ago; he is 28-31 since and has not thrown a shutout or a complete game since 2003. It hasn't helped, either, that his team has grown gradually worse around him.

Potential buyers are particularly interested in what the coming weeks will bring for Houston and Cincinnati, teams with some talent, but not near enough, and on budgets. They figure the Reds will part with at least one of Ken Griffey Jr., Sean Casey, Adam Dunn or Austin Kearns. They wonder if 10 or 15 more losses won't put the Astros in a total rebuild, meaning Roy Oswalt or Brandon Backe, along with Clemens, could become available.

As of today, the list of obtainable starters isn't inspiring. Few of them are going to make the Dodgers' Paul DePodesta, for instance, forget about Scott Erickson.

For prospects, one could have just about any Colorado Rocky, including Jason Jennings and Joe Kennedy. Even while contending, the Toronto Blue Jays will consider offers for Ted Lilly. Mark Redman and/or Kip Wells can be had from Pittsburgh. So can Aaron Harang and Eric Milton, from Cincinnati. If one's general manager is nostalgic for the 1990s, it appears Florida would part with Al Leiter and Tampa Bay would offer Hideo Nomo.

All over baseball, disabled lists speak to the dearth of starting pitching: Tim Hudson, Mike Hampton and John Thomson in Atlanta, Erik Bedard in Baltimore, Curt Schilling in Boston, Kerry Wood and Mark Prior on Chicago's north side, Shawn Chacon in Colorado, Kelvim Escobar in Anaheim, Odalis Perez in L.A., Jaret Wright in the Bronx, Rich Harden in Oakland, Randy Wolf in Philadelphia, Josh Beckett in Florida. Others are hurting, including the Cubs' Carlos Zambrano.

The division between buyers and sellers will widen come July, when desperation in such places as New York, Boston, Los Angeles, Chicago and, perhaps, Atlanta should fuel some interesting movement. Early speculation is on big names — Todd Helton, Frank Thomas, Carl Everett, Eric Chavez, Mike Sweeney, Griffey — but the bulk of the trades probably will involve such players as Colorado's Preston Wilson, Tampa Bay's Aubrey Huff, New York's Mike Cameron, Pittsburgh's Matt Lawton and all of those Reds.

Full Article

Adam Dunn, Eric Chavez, or Roy Oswalt would look good in a Sox uniform.

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 11:38 PM)
Carlos Lee with a league leading 60th RBI in Brew Crew's win. Thats a s*** load of RBI's, I am happy for him and hope he makes his 1st AS team, well deserved. I miss ya  #45 keep up the good work. :headbang

I'm definitely a fan that misses him. He's doing a good job of helping the Brew Crew and Pods is doing the same for our Sox. Very good trade.

I didn't know where else to post this, but I just wanted to point out;this is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen at ESPN.com. The Ex-Yankee roster versus the current Yankee roster...and somehow they have the current yankees sweep the series? Man, that's nonsense.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 03:04 PM)
I didn't know where else to post this, but I just wanted to point out;this  is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen at ESPN.com.  The Ex-Yankee roster versus the current Yankee roster...and somehow they have the current yankees sweep the series?  Man, that's nonsense.

Not sure I agree with that. The former Yankee's lineup isn't exactly loaded. In fact, I'd say it's far from it. Soriano is obviously good, and Johnson and Pena have shown flashes, and Delluci and Clark are doing fairly well this year, but that's not exactly a world beater, especially when you take those guys out of their current lineups and put them in this weaker one. Not much of a bullpen either. You could put together a pretty good rotation, but that's about it.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(Yoda @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 11:01 AM)
I'm definitely a fan that misses him. He's doing a good job of helping the Brew Crew and Pods is doing the same for our Sox. Very good trade.

I was sad to see Caballo go but the team needed a new makeup and I knew he was most likely out of here so it wasn't that bad when he left. Now that I reflect at the moments he gave us I do miss him a lot, he was great especially when meeting him a few times. As much as I miss him I love our new winning ways even though sometimes this team can frustrate the hell out of me. Once more, good luck to El Caballo and keep it rolling Sox.

Talent for talent, that trade looks extremely bad. Lee for Podsednik + Vizcaino... yuck. I realize we did other things with the money, but -- eh, I'll digress. We're winning, I shouldn't b****. I just hope that Podsednik keeps that OBP high -- it's falling a little bit, down from .380 (approx.) to .359 -- or else our offense is going to be in a whole lot of trouble.

BTW -- Jeremy Reed is up to .267/.339/.369. He's doing better after a bad start to the season. I just watched him tonight on Extra Innings, he looks extremely good at the plate. Looks like he's settling in nicely. Haven't seen enough of Morse to really comment on him.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 01:00 AM)
Talent for talent, that trade looks extremely bad.  Lee for Podsednik + Vizcaino...  yuck.  I realize we did other things with the money, but -- eh, I'll digress.  We're winning, I shouldn't b****.  I just hope that Podsednik keeps that OBP high -- it's falling a little bit, down from .380 (approx.) to .359 -- or else our offense is going to be in a whole lot of trouble.

DING DING

If we took on a contract you could say buh bye to Duques 7 wins, or AJ's work behind the plate.

Yes we got raped talent wise, everyone knows this but we saved money that let us do big things.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 01:00 AM)
BTW -- Jeremy Reed is up to .267/.339/.369.  He's doing better after a bad start to the season.  I just watched him tonight on Extra Innings, he looks extremely good at the plate.  Looks like he's settling in nicely.  Haven't seen enough of Morse to really comment on him.

SportsCenter showed J. Reed making a spectacular catch at center field against the A's. Later on in the game, he got robbed of a HR by the A's right fielder. :lol: Reed looks comfortable though with the Mariners.

Derek Lee already with 2 homers today. I don't know what the f*** is going on with this guy. He went from a below average/average first baseman to a triple crown guy. It's like Sosa all over again.

Phillies | Wolf to Have Tommy John Surgery

Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:52:00 -0700

Updating an ongoing story, the Sports Network reports Philadelphia Phillies SP Randy Wolf (elbow) will have Tommy John surgery on his left elbow. He will miss the rest of this season and most of next year. "Obviously I was doing something wrong. I got hurt," Wolf said. "But I'm still relatively young. In my mind I still have a lot of career in me and I think it's best to do it now where I can recover faster because I'm younger and I'm in shape. I think it's the smartest thing."

Twins | Gardenhire: We Need Veterans

Wed, 22 Jun 2005 03:26:31 -0700

The St. Paul Pioneer Press' Jason Williams reports Minnesota Twins MAN Ron Gardenhire wants the club to make a deal to bring a veteran hitter to the lineup, saying the team has just about exhausted its farm-system resources. "I think if we have to make a move to improve the ballclub, it's going to have to come from outside the organization, because what we have in here is young. And that's not what we need. We need veterans," Gardenhire said.

Twins | Lohse Trade Bait?

Wed, 22 Jun 2005 10:33:28 -0700

The St. Paul Pioneer Press' Charley Walters reports Minnesota Twins SP Kyle Lohse could be dealt before the deadline for a veteran bat like San Diego Padres 3B Sean Burroughs.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Spiff @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 02:01 PM)
Derek Lee already with 2 homers today.  I don't know what the f*** is going on with this guy.  He went from a below average/average first baseman to a triple crown guy.  It's like Sosa all over again.

WTH is wrong with Sheets today..?? :bang

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 02:21 PM)
He always sucks against the Flubs.  They have his number.  But Carlos Lee has the Flubs' number.  He just hit a game-tying 2-run bomb. :lol:

Oh good. I have Ben on my fantasy team today.. :headbang

Oh good. I have Ben on my fantasy team today..  :headbang

Ben just gave up his 4th run of the game. 4-3 Flubs. Like I said, the Flubs have his number.

EDIT: Chad Moeller just tied the game at 4-4 with a solo jack. Sheets is still the pitcher of decision.

Edited by Jabroni

Sheets has been garbage today. He just gave up his 5th and 6th runs of the game. 6-4 Flubs. He's being pulled after 6.2 IP.

EDIT: The Brewers just scored 2 runs in the 7th inning to tie it. Sheets it off the hook for the loss.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 03:41 PM)
BILL HALL!  HE'S ON FIRE!  2-RUN BLAST!  8-6 BREWERS!

Carlos Lee has a new Cubs-killer buddy and his name is Bill Hall. :lol:

Dont get me wrong..I hate the Cubs, but I dont think that should have been a homer. It didnt even it the top of the wall. But o well, Cubs lose :D

They say it hit the green wall behind it but I just fail to see it in the replay.

Edited by chimpy2121