Around The Majors

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something to watch for...

CNNSI is doing one of their photo montages of the top-earning athletes in American sports. I found this little nugget to be quite amusing.

11. Alex Rodriguez

Total Income:

$26 million

His move to the Yankees (and third base) is starting to pay off in endorsement income: He's up to $6 million a year. But look closely at his Speed Stick ad on TV -- the stadium lights spell out "E5." Is someone at Mennen a Red Sox fan?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 01:47 PM)
Something to watch for...

CNNSI is doing one of their photo montages of the top-earning athletes in American sports.  I found this little nugget to be quite amusing.

It's true. There is photo of that posted somewhere here on Soxtalk. I've also seen the actual commercial, so the photo hasn't been altered.

Latest News  Jul. 1, 2005 - 9:01 am et

The Florida Marlins may be interested in getting Joe Borowski.

Borowski's reportedly throwing in the low-90s again and has his slider working. If that's the case, why did the Cubs designate him for assignment? In any case, the Marlins are looking to bolster their bullpen, so Borowski or recently released Yankees Mike Stanton or Paul Quantrill could end up in Florida if and when they clear waivers.

Source:  Miami Herald

Latest News  Jul. 1, 2005 - 8:48 am et

Adam Dunn is rumored to be on the trading block, the Sporting News reported yesterday.

Several scouts showed up at last night's game adding fuel to the fire, but GM Dan O'Brien said the Reds weren't trading Dunn, although when he was asked if he was trading Dunn, he wasn't very convincing. ''Negative,'' he said. ''Jerry and the coaches have asked for a few weeks to evaluate the players,'' O'Brien said. ''We're going to honor that.'' Sounds like they're ready to deal after a few weeks have passed, so you may want to try to deal some of your Reds (specifically Dunn) in NL-only leagues. Other players that could be moved include Sean Casey, Ken Griffey Jr. and Eric Milton.

Source:  Cincinnati Enquirer

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 06:08 AM)
How f***ing stupid is that.

If Florida had an extra payroll of about $5 million, they would have never of traded Lee. Choi ended up in the Lo Duca / Mota deal though.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 11:42 AM)
I remember when SD got May from KC. The ESPN "experts" were going crazy saying what a solid pick up he was. He sucked in KC, he sucked in SD and he'll suck in NY.

Not only that, but Quantrill makes $3 mill this season, while May makes $3.225 mill. Nice trade, Yanks.

Corky Steriods got bench by Baltimore. Has hit only 1 homer the last 16 games and hasn't driven in a run the last 10. It appears this guys whole career was based on performance enhancers. I wonder what kind of money he'll be looking at next season.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 02:53 PM)
Corky Steriods got bench by Baltimore. Has hit only 1 homer the last 16 games and hasn't driven in a run the last 10. It appears this guys whole career was based on performance enhancers. I wonder what kind of money he'll be looking at next season.

He's getting paid like $17 million this season.

Honestly, if you were him, would you really care that much about next year?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 05:01 PM)
He's getting paid like $17 million this season.

Honestly, if you were him, would you really care that much about next year?

That's not really what I was getting at. The fact that he gets paid as much as he does makes his decline even more startling. He's Jason Giambi without the 3 or 4 years left on his contract. Maybe he turns it around in the second half, but if he continues at his current pace its possible he might be done. I'm sure some team would give him a contract for next year at a very reduced rate, maybe with some incentives, but he may think that he is above that and walk away.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 10:42 PM)
Derrek Lee hit another HR today.

I was talking to my best friend today, Cubs fan. He's so f***ing furious, rightfully. that Dusty continues to hit two of the s***test OBP men in the leauge above DLee. We were discussing who could hit above him.

I suggested, Hairston leading off playing everday, Walker hitting 2. Now there's some RBI's for Lee.

I know people probably don't like talking about the Cubs. But...

Any thoughts?

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 11:17 PM)
I was talking to my best friend today, Cubs fan.  He's so f***ing furious, rightfully. that Dusty continues to hit two of the s***test OBP men in the leauge above DLee.  We were discussing who could hit above him.

I suggested, Hairston leading off playing everday, Walker hitting 2.  Now there's some RBI's for Lee.

I know people probably don't like talking about the Cubs.  But...

Any thoughts?

I will say this. If they have 2 guys in front of him with a obp above .300 for the 2nd half , Lee will have as good a chance as anyone in my lifetime so far, to get the triple crown.