nitetrain8601

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 08:57 PM)
The Sox don't own the lots..

They aren't going anywhere. They will feed the Reinsdorf family for generations to come..  ;)

Whoever owns them is not my point point....and no one, at least not me is suggesting that they will all go away. Certainly, you'll see some of them go.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 02:48 PM)
I think they should play in the shaumburg flyers stadiums so its only 5 minutes away from me, and right by a train stop

On a serious side note, I too live near there and i would LOVE to see the Flyers leave the Northern League and become a minor leage affiliate to the White Sox. Just a side wish of mine, but that would be sweet.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 02:51 PM)
That quote actually seems right on the money. As the neighborhoods south of the city improve so will the attendance at the Cell. But the image of that area has had to fight through a lot in the past and many of the Sox fans do live in the suburbs.

I would guess there are more Sox fans in a 2-square mile area in Arlington Heights than in the 2-square mile area currently around the Cell.

(Long time reader, fisrt time poster.)

That is a complete and utter insult to all of bridgeport ;) We go to games religiously...(heck most of us have season tickets...

But anyways, the area around here is booming. So much in fact, that a lot of the locals around here are getting priced out of their own neighborhood.....which I guess has its ups as well as downs; it stinks for me because I cant buy here, but it is a lot safer than it used to be.

But to be honest its Bonzeville(on the east side of the express way) thats really changing. Right across the Dan Ryan from the Cell, a whole brand-new townhome/condo complexe is going up. Should be very nice, especially with the police station right there and the projects slowly going down.

Viva Farnese! :gosox3:

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 02:48 PM)
I think they should play in the shaumburg flyers stadiums so its only 5 minutes away from me, and right by a train stop

I know the Sox wont move out here, but I wouldnt mind seeing the Cubs build right there if Schaunburg is willing to sell them the stadium (and fold the team). There is plenty of land around the park to add more parking (one residential area would have to be torn down however). (See link to see the arial view.) It's right off the Elgin O'Hare which conects to 290. It is also located near a major train station.

Will this happen, probably never, but you never know. If the Cubs dont want it, I sure hope the Sox consider it when their current lease runs out in 20 some odd years.

I know it would suck to have my enemy in my backyard, but I like to think outside the box and this would be a possiblily.

QUOTE(Swivelhips @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 04:27 PM)

That is a complete and utter insult to all of bridgeport  ;)  We go to games religiously...(heck most of us have season tickets...

But anyways, the area around here is booming.  So much in fact, that a lot of the locals around here are getting priced out of their own neighborhood.....which I guess has its ups as well as downs; it stinks for me because I cant buy here, but it is a lot safer than it used to be.

But to be honest its Bonzeville(on the east side of the express way) thats really changing.  Right across the Dan Ryan from the Cell, a whole brand-new townhome/condo complexe is going up.  Should be very nice, especially with the police station right there and the projects slowly going down.

Welcome to Soxtalk! :cheers

Edited by Fotop

QUOTE(Fotop @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 04:35 PM)
Welcome to Soxtalk!  :cheers

What did happen to the development on 35th and State? When is it supposed to start? I have seen the sign for two years now but have not seen any construction?

Does anyone have a link on what it will look like when it is complete?

Guest JimH

That is a complete and utter insult to all of bridgeport  ;)  We go to games religiously...(heck most of us have season tickets...

But anyways, the area around here is booming.  So much in fact, that a lot of the locals around here are getting priced out of their own neighborhood.....which I guess has its ups as well as downs; it stinks for me because I cant buy here, but it is a lot safer than it used to be.

But to be honest its Bonzeville(on the east side of the express way) thats really changing.  Right across the Dan Ryan from the Cell, a whole brand-new townhome/condo complexe is going up.  Should be very nice, especially with the police station right there and the projects slowly going down.

Where are you in the neighborhood, I grew up at 29th and Poplar and my great aunt still lives near 28th and Emerald.

More importantly, tell us about the hangouts. We know them here but are always interested in the perspective of a Bridgeport guy.

Guest JimH

By the way, just to note something I mentioned in the attendance thread yesterday about the Sox partnering up with some neighborhood establishments -

I think it was on AM 1000 where Cobblestone's bar/restaurant sponsored one of the sports updates, with something like "this sports update sponsored by Cobblestone's Bar and Grill, join us before or after the Sox games right here in the neighborhood" and they mentioned something about parking there too.

Cobblestone's is a good place, on 39th St. just west of Normal on the north side of 39th. Very good Italian food and a nice crowd in there.

As someone who grew up a northside Sox fan, yes there are some, I remember hoping on the Howard El and going all the way to 35th street. From 1989-1994 the El was the only way my friends and I could get to a Sox game. If they moved to Addison there are a lot of games I would have missed. I, for one, would not at all like the idea of the Sox not being near the El. We never took the Metra back then. Its prices were too high and didn't get us to the places we needed to go. So I am quite happy about the location of the Cell

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 05:05 PM)
Where are you in the neighborhood, I grew up at 29th and Poplar and my great aunt still lives near 28th and Emerald.

More importantly, tell us about the hangouts.  We know them here but are always interested in the perspective of a Bridgeport guy.

Jim asking for hangout advice??? :bang

Guest JimH
Jim asking for hangout advice??? :bang

Mike you know how open I am to others' opinions and advice. :bang

Seriously, we are never too old to learn something (should rent a plane with a banner behind it and fly over quickman's house).

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 06:54 PM)
Mike you know how open I am to others' opinions and advice. :bang

Seriously, we are never too old to learn something (should rent a plane with a banner behind it and fly over quickman's house).

lol. I know, I just couldn't resist the jab... it was sooooo there. :cheers

Those after the game spots are icing on the cake. When I was going to the stadium 3 or 4 nights a week, I found Boondocks, live music most nights, no cover, and a really friendly crowd. It was right at Division and the Kennedy so it was right on my way home.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 04:25 PM)
Whoever owns them is not my point point....and no one, at least not me is suggesting that they will all go away. Certainly, you'll see some of them go.

Unless someone is willing to pay the Reinsdorf family the revenue they will lose over the lifetime of owning them.. which I doubt will ever happen because it will be many, many, many millions and that's not even scratching the surface of developing them.. I doubt any of them will be altered from lots.

QUOTE(Swivelhips @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 04:27 PM)

We're on the development committee and last we heard (April meeting) is that they are a bit stalled because of permits.. we're waiting to buy there. It's going to be awesome when they finally get started.

QUOTE(tony72 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 04:38 PM)
What did happen to the development on 35th and State?  When is it supposed to start?  I have seen the sign for two years now but have not seen any construction?

Does anyone have a link on what it will look like when it is complete?

It's all the same developer.. for whatever reason they can't agree on issuing permits. I wish they would hurry up..

QUOTE(nvxplorer @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 01:45 PM)
Thanks for the explanation. (And for your insight as well, LosMediasBlancas.)

One thing I would strongly disagree with is any move to a northwest suburb like Addison. The South Side image is non-negotiable, IMO.

I'm glad to learn that Bridgeport is being redeveloped. Sounds like a win-win proposition.

Im moving to Bridgeport so that makes me happy.

[Everyone was telling me to move up north so I could live near them and be buy all the hip stores and whatnot.

F that, I grew up in canaryville and have always wanted to live near the park, I work downtown and it's close to the EL and in 3-4 years I'll be having the last laugh.

Rent is cheap and it's going to be a badass place to live, I'm excited.

Bridgeport doesn't have the too cool vibe like wrigleyville, you can just break out the grill and some beers and hang in the yard or out in front and play some bags and everyone is cool.

You don't have to worry about offending an art student or yuppie with led zepplin and miller light and cursing.

:gosox3:

Edited by drowninginflame

All he's saying is that if the new stadium had been built in Addison (a proposed site at the time) they would have drawn significantly better attendance over the last 10 yrs.

You can't really argue against that, but I would likewise argue that parking revenue would be significantly lower.

For what it's worth, it is a fact that Reinsdorf wanted to build a suburban stadium. The only reason it did not happen is because the Mayor kept all of the Chicago legislators' votes off of the legislation that was passed to fund the ISFA and the new stadium. Without those votes, the Sox would be playing in the Crap Dome down in St Pete. Even with those votes, the stadium deal barely passed and only after the Gov personally twisted some arms on the floor of the General Assembly and the clock was stopped so the bill only needed a majority to pass . . .

I just wish that they would fix some of the awful construction and congestion problems on the Dan Ryan. As a former suburbanite and later downstater, it was a mess to get to the park. Much happier that I'm a Red Line trip away for the past 5 years.

QUOTE(Traveler1776 @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 07:34 PM)
For what it's worth, it is a fact that Reinsdorf wanted to build a suburban stadium. The only reason it did not happen is because the Mayor kept all of the Chicago legislators' votes off of the legislation that was passed to fund the ISFA and the new stadium. Without those votes, the Sox would be playing in the Crap Dome down in St Pete. Even with those votes, the stadium deal barely passed and only after the Gov personally twisted some arms on the floor of the General Assembly and the clock was stopped so the bill only needed a majority to pass . . .

I just wish that they would fix some of the awful construction and congestion problems on the Dan Ryan. As a former suburbanite and later downstater, it was a mess to get to the park. Much happier that I'm a Red Line trip away for the past 5 years.

Yeah - the neighborhood is definitely changing...I live in Pilsen and my area which is not far at all from the park......Chinatown, Pilsen, Bronzeville, Bridgeport, Back of the Yards...all those areas will be more fun..but you are right - it is unfortunate for some of the families who have lived in the areas for years and are being priced out..