seriously, mods I don't get it.

Hideaway Lights

QUOTE(56789 @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 11:48 PM)
I just found a perfect example to the comment on how admins and moderaters are treated better than other posters. In the NHL Salary Cap thread people would say something bad about the NHL and everyone would say "If you dont like the NHL stay out of an NHL thread" well then aboz comes in and says "the nhl :sleep  :sleep  :sleep " and no one says a word to him.

:o

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 06:34 PM)
What's even sadder is our long-time posters and more quality ones choosing to ignore the site because of the decline.

You can say that again. I think there's a lot of good people here. I like chatting with most of ya, But damn I see threads that have no discussion at all. Asking dumb questions or whatever. A lot threads started for the heck of it. Like I noticed this, or John Doe said that. Or the crazy trade ideas, Or the Polls that ask the obvious. I'm not b****ing, Jason and others have been kind enough to let me around but i think it's getting tiresome. Me like others just read. A lot of teenagers comming in and just going nuts. There's not an age limit but the proof is there and many people don't have time to go through a bunch of threads of garbage.

Sorry, Just my 2 cents

QUOTE(JoshPR @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 12:00 AM)
You can say that again. I think there's a lot of good people here. I like chatting with most of ya, But damn I see threads that have no discussion at all. Asking dumb questions or whatever. A lot threads started for the heck of it. Like I noticed this, or John Doe said that. Or the crazy trade ideas, Or the Polls that ask the obvious. I'm not b****ing, Jason and others have been kind enough to let me around but i think it's getting tiresome. Me like others just read. A lot of teenagers comming in and just going nuts. There's not an age limit but the proof is there and many people don't have time to go through a bunch of threads of garbage.

Sorry, Just my 2 cents

I do agree with you. And I think a lot of the nonsense posting for the heck of it deals with trying to get as many posts as possible. I don't mind having a post count, I think it's great. But a lot of people think the higher their post count is, the better they are. That's my 2 cents also.

My guess is he a troll.

QUOTE(doUrememberwhen @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 11:30 PM)
can't this thread just die

QUOTE(doUrememberwhen @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 11:40 PM)
no stop it!

QUOTE(doUrememberwhen @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 11:48 PM)
bump

QUOTE(doUrememberwhen @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 11:48 PM)
bump

QUOTE(doUrememberwhen @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 11:49 PM)
bump

bump

bump

QUOTE(doUrememberwhen @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 11:50 PM)
yes, bump

QUOTE(doUrememberwhen @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 11:50 PM)
good for kenny good for the team. oh yeah, bump.

QUOTE(doUrememberwhen @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 11:52 PM)
ooooooo,i'm telling

j/k

p.s. fahk what u think

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 01:04 AM)
I do agree with you. And I think a lot of the nonsense posting for the heck of it deals with trying to get as many posts as possible. I don't mind having a post count, I think it's great. But a lot of people think the higher their post count is, the better they are. That's my 2 cents also.

Woo! I have 126 more posts than WilliamTell!

I'm awesome! :drink

If we're talking about things that bug us, I would like to throw out the fact that notification on certain things is slow.

Whether it be about suspension, a thread being closed, a warning, or any other type of thing, I think I'd like to see the entire mod and admin group do a better job of notifying people very shortly afterwards.

That is all

Lovin' this thread. :snr

Now I have no problem with those who want to express their anger and disdain when the Sox are playing like crap, but some of the newer posters basically have come in and started the "This player sucks", and "That coach should be fired" garbage. Not to mention other posters who only show up when the team is in a funk. Not when they're winning, but going through a bad slump.

To address the needs of a winning team is fine. To start the "we need this guy", & "we need to dump this guy" posting gets really stale, & really boring after awhile. And God forbid you actually stand up for a player or coach, & you almost get burned at the stake.

The last thing I want to see are a bunch of homers who feel this team can do no wrong. But I also don't want to see those who only want to be heard when the team sucks.

Just my 2 cents. You may fire away on my post now. :lol:

Maybe we should have like a 100-200 post limit before you start making your own threads... I know when i first joined I really didnt make any threads until I was at that many and it would keep people from trolling. Reason is after 100-200 posts you begin to know most posters and probably wont make dumb threads...well most of the time.

I hope this thread serves the purpose of educating some of the people that making these posts and threads as to what is considered quality and what is considered garbage. If you want to be a valued member of a quality Sox fan message board, then you'll heed the general advice within this thread, and in Heads' announcement, and you'll be welcomed with open arms. If you decide to ignore all of this and keep posting trash, you'll soon be as forgotten around around here as last summer's mosquito bites.

qwerty, I agree with you. I'd guess "troll" as well. An occasional meaningful bump is one thing, but that was freakin' ridiculous.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 03:21 PM)
If we're talking about things that bug us, I would like to throw out the fact that notification on certain things is slow.

Whether it be about suspension, a thread being closed, a warning, or any other type of  thing, I think I'd like to see the entire mod and admin group do a better job of notifying people very shortly afterwards.

That is all

On threads being closed and say merged with other threads, we do try to make a post saying that we are going to close something if its inappropriate or the quality of it has just gone downhill. Of course if most of you wanted to, we could always PM that person who started the thread to let them know that we had to close or merge their thread, but that would happen quite a lot. Of course any feedback we get on this is good.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 07:54 PM)
I hope this thread serves the purpose of educating some of the people that making these posts and threads as to what is considered quality and what is considered garbage.  If you want to be a valued member of a quality Sox fan message board, then you'll heed the general advice within this thread, and in Heads' announcement, and you'll be welcomed with open arms.  If you decide to ignore all of this and keep posting trash, you'll soon be as forgotten around around here as last summer's mosquito bites. 

qwerty, I agree with you.  I'd guess "troll" as well.  An occasional meaningful bump is one thing, but that was freakin' ridiculous.

Of course the key message here is quality, not quantity. We are always trying to make our new members here feel welcome so this site can continue to grow, and we've brought up a welcome message that's pinned on PHT so they can read up on the things that they need to know. But of course, there's no reason to be bumping threads for no reason (that constitutes as spamming on some boards), or just posting stupid rumors. Just remember that if there's anything you have a question on or anything, we as in the mods and admin, are always contactable and we'll be happy to answer it for you.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 04:58 AM)
On threads being closed and say merged with other threads, we do try to make a post saying that we are going to close something if its inappropriate or the quality of it has just gone downhill. Of course if most of you wanted to, we could always PM that person who started the thread to let them know that we had to close or merge their thread, but that would happen quite a lot. Of course any feedback we get on this is good.

I would think that the reasons for a closed or merged thread would be fairly obvious. Also, I do not understand this concept of "ownership" of a thread by the person that started it, as in ... "my thread was locked" .... once it's posted, it's everybody's thread.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 08:03 PM)
I would think that the reasons for a closed or merged thread would be fairly obvious.  Also, I do not understand this concept of "ownership" of a thread by the person that started it, as in ... "my thread was locked" .... once it's posted, it's everybody's thread.

Well that was the whole reason for this thread starting in the first place. :lol:

But in pretty much all cases, it's nobody's thread, it's everybodies, as YASNY has said.

I would like to point out that the moderating team is a large cross section of Soxtalk. Not everyone is an old fart like YASNY. With that comes a very healthy debate on the back side of how to make this site friendly for a wide range of posters. We have created forums and sub forums with this in mind. Some posters have a majority of posts in forums other than Pale Hose Talk. Others, never stray from White Sox Baseball threads. We hope there is room for everybody who wishes to be friendly, courteous, and kind. We have many examples of heated debates that did not step over and become rude. Unfortunately, we have some current threads, over silly topics, that have become rude to the point of needing to be closed.

I've always used the party analogy. You come to the party, meet a few people, make a couple "friends", share some stories, hell get drunk and sing Brandy, Your a Fine Girl, at the top of your lungs and no one will care. Get drunk, call the guy next to you an idiot, piss in the corner, disrespect the guy who is throwing the party, and you *will* be leaving. Sometimes until you sober up, sometimes when many pages from the calendar have turned. If you think while suspended you can come in through the bedroom window, protected by a silver spoon, it will be a very long time before you are welcomed back. And normally when the drunk is tossed out, the party gets better.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 12:21 AM)

Whether it be about suspension, a thread being closed, a warning, or any other type of  thing, I think I'd like to see the entire mod and admin group do a better job of notifying people very shortly afterwards.

That is all

Unfortunately that is one of the draw backs of how we "team moderate" for lack of a better title. Unless something is completely egregious or completely obvious (a cub troll posting "Sox Suck"ie) we pretty much take the situation to the admins/mods as a group, and all discuss it to get the best possible answer. Sometimes that takes a while as we try to get a solid cross-section of admins/mods to make sure that we are not under/over reacting to a situation. That system prevents one person from making a hasty decesion.

Its not the best, we know, but it seems to work best for us.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 06:44 AM)
I would like to point out that the moderating team is a large cross section of Soxtalk. Not everyone is an old fart like YASNY. With that comes a very healthy debate on the back side of how to make this site friendly for a wide range of posters. We have created forums and sub forums with this in mind. Some posters have a majority of posts in forums other than Pale Hose Talk. Others, never stray from White Sox Baseball threads. We hope there is room for everybody who wishes to be friendly, courteous, and kind. We have many examples of heated debates that did not step over and become rude. Unfortunately, we have some current threads, over silly topics, that have become rude to the point of needing to be closed.

I've always used the party analogy. You come to the party, meet a few people, make a couple "friends", share some stories, hell get drunk and sing Brandy, Your a Fine Girl, at the top of your lungs and no one will care. Get drunk, call the guy next to you an idiot, piss in the corner, disrespect the guy who is throwing the party, and you *will* be leaving. Sometimes until you sober up, sometimes when many pages from the calendar have turned. If you think while suspended you can come in through the bedroom window, protected by a silver spoon, it will be a very long time before you are welcomed back.  And normally when the drunk is tossed out, the party gets better.

That's what's wrong with society today ... no respect for your elders. :nono

;)

QUOTE(56789 @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 11:48 PM)
I just found a perfect example to the comment on how admins and moderaters are treated better than other posters. In the NHL Salary Cap thread people would say something bad about the NHL and everyone would say "If you dont like the NHL stay out of an NHL thread" well then aboz comes in and says "the nhl :sleep  :sleep  :sleep " and no one says a word to him.

Out of curiousity, what do you feel should have been done?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 06:44 AM)

I've always used the party analogy. You come to the party, meet a few people, make a couple "friends", share some stories, hell get drunk and sing Brandy, Your a Fine Girl, at the top of your lungs and no one will care. Get drunk, call the guy next to you an idiot, piss in the corner, disrespect the guy who is throwing the party, and you *will* be leaving. Sometimes until you sober up, sometimes when many pages from the calendar have turned. If you think while suspended you can come in through the bedroom window, protected by a silver spoon, it will be a very long time before you are welcomed back.  And normally when the drunk is tossed out, the party gets better.

Seriously, does any album flow together better than Sgt Pepper?