Jack McKeon in Trouble

DBAHO

Florida is around .500 ball, not bad but not good enough with the pitching staff they have. Here's a blurb from the Southtown;

Fish story

Reports coming out of Florida say Marlins manager Jack McKeon is on shaky ground.

If McKeon is fired, look for former Sox manager Jerry Manuel to emerge as a leading candidate to become the Marlins' skipper.

Manuel was the Marlins' bench coach when they won the World Series in 1997 and is highly regarded by team ownership.

I saw a note somewhere that Jim Leyland was getting an itch to manage again. Would he be a candidate? But I guess I didnt realize that ths Fish are right around 500.

On a side note on Flordia managers, the D-Rays lost again big time last night. Shouldnt Lou Pinella be on the hot seat, if there is such thing in Tampa. Maybe this is for another thread. lol.

QUOTE(Benchwarmerjim @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 08:45 AM)
I saw a note somewhere that Jim Leyland was getting an itch to manage again. Would he be a candidate? But I guess I didnt realize that ths Fish are right around 500.

On a side note on Flordia managers, the D-Rays lost again big time last night. Shouldnt Lou Pinella be on the hot seat, if there is such thing in Tampa. Maybe this is for another thread. lol.

how oculd they fire lou?

there isn't going to be anyone on this planet that could do better with that team......except ozzie guillen of course.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 06:09 PM)
I think it'd be interesting to see Jerry Manual manage again for any team. Just to see how he does with a different team. See if his managing ways work out.

I'd be interested to see if Gandhi can stay awake for a whole game if he is managing again.

Lots of the Marlins players have been unhappy with Jack. His job is safe, though. Marlins owner, Jefferey Loria and GM Larry Beinfest stated that in a meeting. I don't really want Jack to go, but the Marlins hitting coach, Bill Robinson needs to be on the next train to Canada or some place that isn't Miami.

The Marlins are too good of a team to be just 3 games above .500 or 4..... whatever. .500 ball is not their game when they have one of the best starting rotation out there. IMO, the hitting coach should be the one packing. A good example of this is Eddie Murray.

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 07:47 PM)
floridas staff would get wrecked from his managerial decisions

Yeah they've pitched lots of complete games, but their guys haven't thrown that many pitches (~110's or less) when they've been throwing them.

If guys are throwing 9 innings on 110 pitches, i say let em do it.

Let's also not forget that McKeon has got to be like 75 by now, or turns that age this season.

This guy can't be around that much longer no matter what happens. I wonder if there are any specific health concerns that might lead them to start asking around for a backup.

QUOTE(Yoda @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 04:40 PM)
The Marlins are too good of a team to be just 3 games above .500 or 4..... whatever. .500 ball is not their game when they have one of the best starting rotation out there. IMO, the hitting coach should be the one packing. A good example of this is Eddie Murray.

Also don't forget...the Marlins play in the NL East. They've been playing against 4 other teams that are also above .500, and the Phillies and Nationals have been on fire the last 2 weeks.

The better teams will float to the top in that division, but they're all good. 3 games above .500 is not bad when you're going to have to play like 75% of your games against teams that are above .500.

QUOTE(-Fish Fan- @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 04:46 PM)
Lots of the Marlins players have been unhappy with Jack. His job is safe, though. Marlins owner, Jefferey Loria and GM Larry Beinfest stated that in a meeting. I don't really want Jack to go, but the Marlins hitting coach, Bill Robinson needs to be on the next train to Canada or some place that isn't Miami.

Maybe it's just me, but if you want your team to win, shouldn't you do your absolute best to try and keep your players happy?

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 01:41 PM)
Maybe it's just me, but if you want your team to win, shouldn't you do your absolute best to try and keep your players happy?

Not if happy translates to lazy, or unmotivated, etc.

Do you think Vince Lombardi's guys were happy during practice?

I shouldn't have said "Lots of the Marlins players have been unphappy with Jack." I really should've said that Jack has been making some players angry, but it's nothing serious. I'm not retracting my comment, but there's been a rumor going around South Florida and on MarlinBaseball.com that is saying that Jack is pissing off players left and right and I'm not sure why I bought into it, because most rumor's around Miami are false, especially negative rumors. All in all, Jack is doing so/so. I'm not upset with him, but I'm not overjoyed with him either.