Pyramids

Goober

how were the pyramids of Egypt built? i mean it seems like it was an awful lot of work if they dragged the blocks up to the correct places. 56789 said magic but i think he is full of crap. think they had some secrets that we don't know?

LOL, I wish I was in that conversation...

I'm guessing aliens..But I watch every show on Discovery,NGC, and such that has to do with Egypt and they gave several theories..They basically has 30'000 workers drag blocks on ski-like things and dragged them fro the quarry..They had speculated that they also had the way where you put logs sliders underneath the block and roll it, but I heard they didn't use that technique..who knows

With ropes and alot of men working on it. Some of the rock sizes are staggering, but still plausable in my opinion. I certainly don't believe a UFO came and picked up the boulders for us. They were very clever, even back then, I'm sure they had some kind of pulley system that worked.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 11:02 PM)
Slave Labor.  Pretty much everyone alive during that time and around them was essentially forced.  Or at least thats my theory.

Although Aliens would be way cooler.

They used both slave labor and regular Egyptian workers...They unearthed little villages where the workers lived, just a mile or less from work sites..They had to have skilled workers for the precision stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_pyramids

The techniques used to construct Egypt's pyramids may have initially been developed by trial and  then further evolved based on local economics, resources, and other considerations, over the thousand year pyramid-building phase of Egyptian civilization.

Make note that contrary to popular belief, scholars do not believe that the pyramids of Egypt were built by the Jewish slaves. Scholars doubt that there were built by slaves at all. The Jews came probably during the 18th Dynasty in the new Kingdom and by then Pyramid building was a thing of the far past. Recently we have found tombs of the workers, they show us in how they are made, how important (so to speak) a person was, the pyramid workers were paid craftsmen, not slaves they had their own city at Giza.

During the earliest period, in the Third and Fourth Dynasties, pyramids were constructed wholly of stone. Granite (quarried in Aswan and transported downstream by barge) was usually the material of choice for the main body of these pyramids, while limestone was used as the outer casing. In early pyramids, the courses of stone forming the pyramid body were laid sloping inwards; however, this configuration was found to be less stable than simply stacking horizontal courses on top of each other. The Bent Pyramid at Dahshur represents the transition between these two building techniques; its lower section is built of sloping courses, while in its upper section the stones are laid horizontally.

During the Fifth Dynasty the physical scale of pyramids was much reduced, and poor quality limestone replaced granite as the chief building material. Infilling with loose rubble was also used for the first time. This enabled pyramids to be built with fewer resources over much shorter periods.

During the Middle Kingdom pyramid construction techniques changed again. Most pyramids built at this time were little more than mountains of mud brick encased in a veneer of polished limestone. In several cases, later pyramids were built on top of natural hills to further reduce the volume of material needed in their construction.

Paradoxically, the materials and methods of construction used in the earliest pyramids have ensured their survival in a generally much better state of preservation than is the case with the pyramid monuments of later pharaohs.

I've seen the pyramids up close and I can't imagine how men could have done that. It's difficult enough to imagine the sheer brute force it would have taken to move, let alone stack the stones. But when you look at them up close, the stones fit together so perfectly, they're air tight. Every last, small crevice is sealed with a stone.

The alien theory is interesting. Has anyone seen the rock carvings of the alien in Peru?

http://www.ufoarea.com/aas_nasca.html

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 09:49 AM)
I've seen the pyramids up close and I can't imagine how men could have done that. It's difficult enough to imagine the sheer brute force it would have taken to move, let alone stack the stones. But when you look at them up close, the stones fit together so perfectly, they're air tight. Every last, small crevice is sealed with a stone.

The alien theory is interesting. Has anyone seen the rock carvings of the alien in Peru?

http://www.ufoarea.com/aas_nasca.html

The exactness of the pyramids is what gets me. The shafts that pour light into death chambers perfectly align with a certian star (the star that was where they were supposed ascend to after death) on the summer solstice. The length of the base of the great pyramid is the exact distance that the sun travels accross the face of the earth in one second.

There are more of these, but I can't remember them off of the top of my head, I have a couple great books at home.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 03:13 PM)
The exactness of the pyramids is what gets me.  The shafts that pour light into death chambers perfectly align with a certian star (the star that was where they were supposed ascend to after death) on the summer solstice.  The length of the base of the great pyramid is the exact distance that the sun travels accross the face of the earth in one second.

There are more of these, but I can't remember them off of the top of my head, I have a couple great books at home.

I know, that's what I mean. There is one in Mexico that on a certain day and certain time each year the sun casts a shadow on it and it looks like a serpent climbing up the wall. The Aztec God is represented a serpent.

The stones weren't just randomly dropped somewhere. Every stone was probably moved a bunch of times.

I wonder if with all the know how and modern machinery we have today, if we'd be capable of building one like those?

The amazing thing is that these things are in different areas. I mean, they are in Egypt and in Mexico. How was it that two civilizations were able to figure out how to build them back then, and the rest of the world is stumped on how to do it now? Crazy, isn't it? You would almost think this was a mystery to the whole world!

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 03:59 PM)
Ground Hogs did 'em. Lots and lots of ground hogs. Ground Hogs on Starbucks Coffee highs, to be precise.

Big Foot was the crew foreman, and they brought in the blocks on the back of Nessie.

Actually, in Peru I'm sure the coca leaves were in full effect. ;)

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 04:04 PM)
The amazing thing is that these things are in different areas. I mean, they are in Egypt and in Mexico. How was it that two civilizations were able to figure out how to build them back then, and the rest of the world is stumped on how to do it now? Crazy, isn't it? You would almost think this was a mystery to the whole world!

Partly the continental drift theory, maybe. :huh

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 10:33 AM)
I know, that's what I mean. There is one in Mexico that on a certain day and certain time each year the sun casts a shadow on it and it looks like a serpent climbing up the wall. The Aztec God is represented a serpent.

The stones weren't just randomly dropped somewhere. Every stone was probably moved a bunch of times. 

I wonder if with all the know how and modern machinery we have today, if we'd be capable of building one like those?

The margin of error was less than a 1/4 inch, and this was with millenia of time to settle. There is no way we could do it any better even with GPS and all of the fancy technology we have today.