The Gigantic all encompassing TRADE THREAD

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 11:54 PM)
The problem is that we have NO clue if Burnett would re-sign long-term and if he did, would his injuries re-occur.

If you're crazy about Schmidt, don't even talk about Burnett's injuries, because at least he seems to be past them. Same can't be said for Schmidt.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 11:53 PM)
I'm just thinking that they will want an outfielder that can be productive now and in the future for them.  Everett is older and more expensive.

Maybe, but I wonder if they'd get a better offer for him. Also, I wonder if they want to get rid of him given his contract situation.

QUOTE(Southside hitmen @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 12:19 AM)
their is not much on the D Backs active roster I would want if they want one of our relievers

Yeah me neither. We've been pretty active in the past year with trades or trade rumors. Boy am I glad Garland didn't get traded. I remember saying he was going to win 15 games this year and many laughed at me.

Yeah me neither. We've been pretty active in the past year with trades or trade rumors. Boy am I glad Garland didn't get traded. I remember saying he was going to win 15 games this year and many laughed at me.

People say that every year. He wins 12 every season. It's not like it was a bold prediction to say that he would earn a whole 3 more wins. :bang

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 12:26 AM)
People say that every year.  He wins 12 every season.  It's not like it was a bold prediction to predict a whole 3 more wins from him. :bang

I guess I didn't say 15 wins, I was thinking that though. But this is what I said.

Dec 14, 2004 -> 10:03 AM Post #2

Carl Everett is in the mix too. Call me crazy but I think Garland is going to have a good year this upcoming year.

..........Oh and I was called crazy too.

Florida said they wanted a left handed OF and a MR? Those are some pretty specific requests, especially since I don't know why they'd be looking to trade him until they are out of contention. Are they just trying to rape another team in a trade like the Penny deal? If the latter is the case, I doubt our package would work. I'd think that if they were shopping him they'd get at least a better player than Everett, and/or a better reliever than Shingo.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Florida said they wanted a left handed OF and a MR? Those are some pretty specific requests, especially since I don't know why they'd be looking to trade him until they are out of contention. Are they just trying to rape another team in a trade like the Penny deal? If the latter is the case, I doubt our package would work. I'd think that if they were shopping him they'd get at least a better player than Everett, and/or a better reliever than Shingo.

The Marlins want to compete this year but they know that they won't be able to resign Burnett after this season. They don't want him to leave via free agency and get nothing for him. And I agree with you about Everett and Shingo.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 01:02 AM)

I think they want to rid themselves of the contract situation without losing too much ability to compete. As for the demands, I just read them the way I saw them, and it said they wanted ML level talent that included a starter, LH hitting OF, and MR. If they are trying to dump his situation on another team, and KW thinks he can ink Burnett long term, I think the Sox could get him here for that package or something similar but slightly better.

Don't assume Everett isn't a valuable trade chip. He's hardly ever been used as a full time player during his career, but extrapolating his numbers out this year to a full season, he could have had about 30 homers and 120 rbis. Granted that would be playing 1/2 his games at the Cell, AND it's only speculation. I dunno what team wouldn't be interested in a guy who can hit 25 homers and drive in over 100 runs. Yeah last year he sucked because he was coming back from injury, and he was a fatass. He dropped the weight though and being 34 years old, he's still at the backend of his prime. He's a free agent after this year and only making 4 mil this year (I think), not a huge commitment. If a team is looking to make a push and needs a lefthanded bat in the outfield, I see Everett as a pretty good option. Where else will you find that type of production for that kind of $$? He's said some interesting things but hasn't been a clubhouse cancer. I love having the luxury of Everett off the bench, but we might as well trade from our surplus if we need to shore up any weaknesses.

"Quantrill and Stanton May Be Let Go Thursday"

http://nytimes.com/2005/06/30/sports/baseb...30notebook.html

By TYLER KEPNER

Published: June 30, 2005

BALTIMORE, June 29 - The veteran relievers Paul Quantrill and Mike Stanton appear to have pitched their last games for the Yankees. Hoping to make their bullpen younger, the Yankees could release or trade both on Thursday.

Quantrill and Stanton shook hands and exchanged hugs with teammates and club personnel after Wednesday night's rainout at Camden Yards. Quantrill would not comment after leaving the clubhouse, and Stanton said, "You can read between the lines."

Check out Stanton's splits. It's a small sample size but he has been great against lefties even though he has sucked against righties. If the Yankees DO end up releasing him I would hope Kenny would try to sign him. He could be a good LOOGY for us.

Edited by Jabroni

from today' s suntimes:

"RUMOR MILL: Obtaining starter Jason Schmidt from the San Francisco Giants to make a run at the organization's first World Series title in 86 years will cost the Sox more than they are willing to part with.

The Giants are said to be looking for a No. 2- and a No. 3-type starter for Schmidt, who has a $10.5 million option for next season. Dealing Jose Contreras and Brandon McCarthy might come close to filling that bill, but a top prospect -- perhaps like Class AA outfielder Ryan Sweeney -- probably would have to be included.

What the Giants really are said to also be looking for are mid-rotation guys who are approaching a final arbitration year and might have trouble re-signing with their current team. Not too many players are in that position, but the description might fit Jon Garland and the Minnesota Twins' Carlos Silva.

The Sox, though, are not about to part with a pitcher who is their feel-good story of the season as well as someone who finally is rewarding the organization's patience."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

looks like schmidt can be crossed off sox fans wish list

The Giants are said to be looking for a No. 2- and a No. 3-type starter for Schmidt, who has a $10.5 million option for next season. Dealing Jose Contreras and Brandon McCarthy might come close to filling that bill, but a top prospect -- perhaps like Class AA outfielder Ryan Sweeney -- probably would have to be included.

LOL, sorry Giants. Ain't gonna happen. Schmidt is good but he isn't worth that much, especially since his health can't be guaranteed.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 10:00 AM)
LOL, sorry Giants.  Ain't gonna happen.  Schmidt is good but he isn't worth that much, especially since his healthy can't be guaranteed.

You can see their point. See if other teams give your asking price. Or stick with him for 2006. They'll be sticking with him for '06.

not sure where i read it, but earlier in this thread (im to lazy to go back and find it) somebody said juan uribe could turn out to be equal to miggy tejada offensively. i just thought id let all you know that this is perhaps one of the dumbest things ive ever read on this site......on another note....thats too much to give up for schmidt

chavez back in the picture?

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/ds.../pro/301sd5.htm

Chemistry part of addition equation

By Joe Cowley

Staff writer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DETROIT — The way Frank Thomas sees it, while the White Sox have their foot on the throats of the rest of the AL Central Division, they might as well apply some more pressure.

With the July 31 trade deadline approaching, the veteran slugger said Wednesday that adding a player wouldn't be a bad thing.

"We just have to make sure we're in the driver's seat," Thomas said. "You can always get better with certain things, but this year, this team has been playing on all cylinders, so I don't know what they're going to do.

"You see a lot of teams that are winning end up being the teams that do something. Look at St. Louis last year. They were firing on all cylinders and went and got Larry Walker (from Colorado)."

But the 2004 Cardinals were in a much different situation than the 2005 Sox: St. Louis' payroll was in the upper tier of major league teams.

The Sox's Paul Konerko said a few years ago that if a team doesn't have a payroll near the $100 million mark, then "it better be full of guys that like each other."

That's one way to describe the 2005 Sox — a bunch of guys who like each other. That's why the front office has been walking such a fine line on whether or not to make a trade.

"It's different from years past, where you felt if you added an impact player, it would have an immediate, positive impact," Sox assistant general manager Rick Hahn said. "When you're fortunate enough as we are now to have the best record in baseball, you have to be careful not to disrupt something that's working right now."

One name that continues to pop up in rumors is that of Oakland third baseman Eric Chavez, even though Sox general manager Kenny Williams has all but denied the rumored interest. That's the case yet again this week, with more whispers about the Sox packaging Joe Crede in a deal that would bring Chavez to the South Side.

"My understanding is the whole Chavez rumor started with a couple of players talking back and forth back when we were playing the Cubs at Wrigley," Hahn said. "I'm not sure how many different lives it has had, or if it's the same rumor that's just circulating around again."

Make no mistake about it: Williams is looking to possibly add a few smaller pieces in addition to looking to pull off a big deal if it is the right fit.

According to Hahn, if the Sox do make a deal, it would almost be easier to justify making a big splash, however.

"There are sort of — I don't want to call them lesser elements, but maybe lesser role players that we are discussing," Hahn added. "But those types of players would actually leave us running a bigger risk with the chemistry. We feel like, 1 through 25, everyone is pulling in the same direction. So if you are going to disrupt that, you almost would prefer the major impact guy."

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 09:29 PM)
He was scheduled to make seven million this year, they are paying one million of it this year therefore the sox are paying six million

He is scheduled to make eight million is 2006 but the yankees are paying two million of it, therefore only six million for the white sox.

Ok my bad, I should double check before discussing contracts instead of going from memory.

That said, you are not entirely correct either. Yes he is to make $7 mil this yr and $8 mil next yr but he still had $3 mil remaining on his prorated signing bonus of $6 mil. It was this $3 mil that the Yankees sent us, in fact, they were obligated to send it to us unless we waived that right. So he gets $7 mil + $1.5 mil SB in '05 and $8 mil + $1.5 mil SB in '06.

Btw, if we trade Jose between now and April 1st of '06 we also would be obligated to send the remaining signing bonus or $1.5 mil.

According the southsidesox.com, the D-backs had some scouts at the game last night looking at someone in our bullpen. They speculate that it would be Vizciano. Has anyone heard anything about a trade? I didn't want to search through that massive trade thread. Here's the clip:

Could be a trade in the works with the D'backs.

An Arizona scout has attended the last two Sox-Tigers games. The Diamondbacks desperately need relief help.

The D'backs got to see a whole lot of bullpen on Wednesday. Luis Vizcaino has to be the guy who the Sox are shopping. He's out of options, and wore out my patience long ago. He didn't even look good in his 2.1 scoreless last night. Maybe the D'Backs were fooled by the results.

Cotts and Shingo both have options left, and have pitched very effectively lately, so I don't see them as options. Marte, Politte, and Hermanson are too valuable to be giving up. On top of all that, I can't think of anything on the major league level that Arizona could give us to make the team better. The deal would have to be for prospects.

QUOTE(IndplsSoxFan @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 08:18 AM)
According the southsidesox.com, the D-backs had some scouts at the game last night looking at someone in our bullpen.  They speculate that it would be Vizciano.  Has anyone heard anything about a trade?  I didn't want to search through that massive trade thread.  Here's the clip:

An Arizona scout has attended the last two Sox-Tigers games. The Diamondbacks desperately need relief help.

The D'backs got to see a whole lot of bullpen on Wednesday. Luis Vizcaino has to be the guy who the Sox are shopping. He's out of options, and wore out my patience long ago. He didn't even look good in his 2.1 scoreless last night. Maybe the D'Backs were fooled by the results.

Cotts and Shingo both have options left, and have pitched very effectively lately, so I don't see them as options. Marte, Politte, and Hermanson are too valuable to be giving up. On top of all that, I can't think of anything on the major league level that Arizona could give us to make the team better. The deal would have to be for prospects.

This was discussed at length in the trade thread. You'll find plenty of maybes, ifs, ands and buts there.

I dont think we should give up Vizcaino for some prospects (if the rumor is true) because the Sox should expand their bullpen, not shorten it. I dont see what prospects can do for you in the year you have the chance to go to the Playoffs and World Series.

We should be giving away prospects to make our team better with major league talent in the pen and perhaps another starter.

QUOTE(IndplsSoxFan @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 07:18 AM)
According the southsidesox.com, the D-backs had some scouts at the game last night looking at someone in our bullpen.  They speculate that it would be Vizciano.  Has anyone heard anything about a trade?  I didn't want to search through that massive trade thread.  Here's the clip:

its funny cuz farmer and melton both raved about how well viz threw. melton said he hadnt seen the 2 seemer viz threw tonight since last year in milwaulkee, and farmer said he had a great slider workin....i missed him pitching tho so i cant give my two cents. just sayin what the experts said