Time to reverse bad trend against A's

VAfan

I ran a check of how we have fared against other teams between 2000 and 2004.

Here's the link. http://www.baseball-reference.com/games/he...4&submit=Submit

For teams we have played more than 10 times, our worst winning percentage is against the A's, where we are 15-30, or .333. Our next worst showing is against Anaheim at 20-24, .455.

It is time, if this is going to be a special season, that we turn around this nonsense and start beating this team. They think they are hot, but have only beaten up on Seattle and SF recently.

I have to say, unlike some in the game thread who will be happy just taking 1 game this series, I like our chances this weekend. We do have Buehrle and Garland going and the only matchup I wouldn't put in our favor is the one tonight.

I realize that our previous performances in Oakland spell trouble for us. But I've learned not to doubt this current team. I predict we take 2 out of 3.

:gosox1: :headbang

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 02:52 PM)
I ran a check of how we have fared against other teams between 2000 and 2004.

Here's the link.  http://www.baseball-reference.com/games/he...4&submit=Submit

For teams we have played more than 10 times, our worst winning percentage is against the A's, where we are 15-30, or .333.  Our next worst showing is against Anaheim at 20-24, .455. 

It is time, if this is going to be a special season, that we turn around this nonsense and start beating this team.  They think they are hot, but have only beaten up on Seattle and SF recently.

They could put their minor league team in there and we would still probably struggle..and the last time we went down there were the 3 strangest games I've ever seen..it sucked..

If we can win 2 of 3 then we are truly blessed, but that Oakland curse is a strong sonofab****...We're gonna need the jaws of life to break out of it..

OAKLAND..... :puke

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 02:57 PM)
I have to say, unlike some in the game thread who will be happy just taking 1 game this series, I like our chances this weekend.  We do have Buehrle and Garland going and the only matchup I wouldn't put in our favor is the one tonight.

I realize that our previous performances in Oakland spell trouble for us.  But I've learned not to doubt this current team.  I predict we take 2 out of 3.

:gosox1:  :headbang

Lets hope so...somethings gotta give..

We have to have some luck down there at least one damn series..sheesh.. :bang

I predict we win 2 of 3, because we got Garland tomarrow and Buerhle on Sunday. But Im not too confident with Contreras on the bunk against Harden. This whole series will be a good pitching duel. Contreras vs. Harden, Garland vs. Saarloos, and Buerhle vs. Mr. '12-6' Zito. :bringit

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 02:52 PM)
It is time, if this is going to be a special season, that we turn around this nonsense and start beating this team.  They think they are hot, but have only beaten up on Seattle and SF recently.

We will this time...2 out of 3...no doubt. Go Go-Go White Sox!

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 03:06 PM)
I predict we win 2 of 3, because we got Garland tomarrow and Buerhle on Sunday.  But Im not too confident with Contreras on the bunk against Harden.  This whole series will be a good pitching duel.  Contreras vs. Harden, Garland vs. Saarloos, and Buerhle vs. Mr. '12-6' Zito. :bringit

Do remember this is Oakland we're going to...It could be considered that if we do just win one game it would prob be todays game.. :bang

Although statistically it might be the worst opportunity with Contreras going against Harden..But its the bizarro world down there..

I will have my many crosses ready, and hang up the garlic around the television..maybe even start a chant to rid of the curse of the Oakland.

The Oakland of HELL!!!!!

The last time we were in Oakland, we suffered from one of the worst 3 days worth of umpiring that I've seen all year, maybe even in a couple years.

Not just Crede's HBP. Crede being thrown out for slamming a bat down. Pods being called out on a play at first where he was safe. Our hitters being pelted by like 6 bean balls but Oakland not receiving a warning. The infamous play at the plate which appeared on the front page of the Oakland sports section the next day. Strike zones that were all over the place.

With a good umpiring crew we'd have won 2 of 3, if not more, last time.

Fate owes us a couple of games here.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 08:21 PM)
The last time we were in Oakland, we suffered from one of the worst 3 days worth of umpiring that I've seen all year, maybe even in a couple years.

Not just Crede's HBP.  Crede being thrown out for slamming a bat down.  Pods being called out on a play at first where he was safe.  Our hitters being pelted by like 6 bean balls but Oakland not receiving a warning.  The infamous play at the plate which appeared on the front page of the Oakland sports section the next day.  Strike zones that were all over the place.

With a good umpiring crew we'd have won 2 of 3, if not more, last time.

Fate owes us a couple of games here.

I try not to blame losses on umpires, but you're right. The umpiring in that series was absolutely horrendous. It may not have cost us a game or two, but it sure didn't help.

I still can't forget the routine fly ball that Dye dropped. That series basically epitomized our luck down there in recent years.

I think everyone tries not to blame losses on umpires, but sometimes when it actually is their fault, and even MLB sees that (and starts some sort of investiagtion, the results of which we aren't privy to), then I think it becomes appropriate to complain about it.

That series, a good chunk of it was their fault. Hell, remember the Crede @ short game? Why was he at Short? Because Oakland had pelted like 5 of our hitters in 2 games, without being warned, they threw an inside pitch to Uribe, who hurt himself twisting to get out of the way of the pitch. Why was Pablo not in? Because he was down after being hit by a pitch.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 01:43 PM)
I think everyone tries not to blame losses on umpires, but sometimes when it actually is their fault, and even MLB sees that (and starts some sort of investiagtion, the results of which we aren't privy to), then I think it becomes appropriate to complain about it.

That series, a good chunk of it was their fault.  Hell, remember the Crede @ short game?  Why was he at Short?  Because Oakland had pelted like 5 of our hitters in 2 games, without being warned, they threw an inside pitch to Uribe, who hurt himself twisting to get out of the way of the pitch.  Why was Pablo not in?  Because he was down after being hit by a pitch.

Funny you should mention that -- I've been secretly hoping to see some retaliation this weekend, some good old fashioned smoke thrown inside at some of those pussies. And given Contreras' penchant for hitting batters...this could be fun!

:fight

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 03:24 PM)
Funny you should mention that -- I've been secretly hoping to see some retaliation this weekend, some good old fashioned smoke thrown inside at some of those pussies. And given Contreras' penchant for hitting batters...this could be fun!

:fight

Anyone but Jose...I believe Jon and Mark can work around people getting on base, but Jose walks enough people as it is.

Edited by Balta1701