Who writes checks anymore?

Controlled Chaos

Do you write checks?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Do you write checks?

• yes
    • no

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 10:24 AM)
I'm just curious who still writes checks to pay for like groceries, clothes, etc....and why.

I can't figure out why someone at Jewel would be writing a check, instead of using a debit card.  Please almighty check writers, enlighten me!!!

I write a check for exactly 1 purpose - to pay my rent each month.

Everything else goes on a credit card, because I get between 1-5 % cash back every month for purchases. That puts a couple extra hundred dollars in my pocket per year.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 12:30 PM)
I pay everything online, but I can understand some people not riding the technology wave.  It might be a little too choppy for em....fine cool.

What I can't understand is people that write checks at a store???

Its a Pet Peeve of mine as well, especially when the stand there and don't get out their checkbook until the clerk gives them the total.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 05:30 PM)
What I can't understand is people that write checks at a store???

I hate people like that. Not only do they take forever writing out the actual check, but then they have to update their records. Gotta fill in the check number, date, description, payment amount, balance amount, etc. Then, in a lot of cases, they have to call a supervisor over to approve of the check.

In my best Tom Berenger voice from Platoon: Them motherf***ers

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 05:37 PM)
Its a Pet Peeve of mine as well, especially when the stand there and don't get out their checkbook until the clerk gives them the total.

Yeah, and then it takes a while for a lot of people to even find their checkbooks, as there are women out there with like 50 pounds worth of s*** in their purses. It's so bad....

To all those who hate people who write checks at stores:

Sure, some people are idiots, and don't take out their checkbooks until the last minute, or update the records on the spot (it could be done in the car or at home), but others are courteous and go quite fast. I've seen quite a few people who have trouble with their credit cards at stores, and they clog up lines a lot more than check writers. I just think some here are going a bit overboard with the "check hate".

Although, the thing that clogs lines the most is new clerks. But hey, they gotta learn.

At the grocery store I work at you have to be registered to write a check, and fill out a little card and the manager looks it over and puts in in the system, but the whole process can take like 3-5 minutes and that clogs up the line a ton if someone comes in that isnt registered. I would say i get about 30-40 checks on an eight hour shift though, alot of people use them.

I use checks still, not to pay for groceries though. I pay my monthly credit card bill and other bills via check. I suppose I could set up that automatic withdrawal stuff but I just don't like the idea of people being able to go in anytime they want and take money out of my account. I like the idea that I still have to give them the money (they're still at MY mercy!) hahaha! :P

I dont have a credit card or a debit card. I use my checkbook everywhere. If your store doesnt except checks, you wont get my business. lol

I like paying cash for little things like sodas at the gas station or a quick trip to Taco Bell. Write checks for grocies and clothes. And use online payments for my bills