Colleges

CubsSuck1

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a proud (sometimes) graduate of St. Olaf College in Northfield Minnesota. I would recommend it for someone looking for a good, but academically intense, school with lots of social and service opportunities. I have no regrets about going there and I think I'm very well rounded academically--I definitely would recommend a liberal arts education.

Now I'm a graduate student at Binghamton University. I like it (as much as anyone can *enjoy* graduate school), but I would not recommend it for undergrads--it has a good reputation, but I don't feel the students get the education they pay for here.

You'll know the right college for you--don't pick one because your friends are going there (you will grow into different people and probably won't stay close) or because of a significant other or because your family says to go there. It's 4 years of your life so choose where YOU want to go because you're the one that has to live with that decision.

Edited by ChiSoxyGirl

I'm going to be a soph. at U of I-Champaign this year.

I really enjoyed my first year sans my roomate. As long as you don't mind big lectures, you'll enjoy the class part of it. The school's specialties well......are everything, it's so big :lol:. But i'd say most students are engineering or business.

The social part of it, well there's so many people, you'll find something no matter what your into.

I'm applying to:

University of Michigan

University of South Carolina

University of Illinois

University of Texas

University of Florida

Florida State University

University of Georgia

It's going to be a fun next couple of weeks writing all these essays. :unsure:

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 05:28 PM)
I'm going to be a soph. at U of I-Champaign this year.

I really enjoyed my first year sans my roomate.  As long as you don't mind big lectures, you'll enjoy the class part of it.  The school's specialties well......are everything, it's so big :lol:.  But i'd say most students are engineering or business. 

The social part of it, well there's so many people, you'll find something no matter what your into.

What are you majoring in? What is your schedule for this year?

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 05:34 PM)
I'm applying to:

University of Michigan

University of South Carolina

University of Illinois

University of Texas

University of Florida

Florida State University

University of Georgia

It's going to be a fun next couple of weeks writing all these essays. :unsure:

Big aspirations? :o

CubsSuck,

I think the hardest part of college is to think beyond your 4 years at school. At the time it seems to go forever, but looking back it FLIES.

And where you go to college will have a pretty big impact of where you end up afterwards.

In other words, if you want to stay close to home, and enjoy Illinois, go somewhere there and pick a school that has a good reputation in what you think you want to do.

If you want to jump out and go somewhere else to start a new life, then go somewhere far away, but remember it's harder to go home for the weekend to do laundry. :lol:

The big thing is try to look at it from what you want to do with yourself, not what others want you to do, as someone else said in this thread.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 05:41 PM)
CubsSuck,

I think the hardest part of college is to think beyond your 4 years at school.  At the time it seems to go forever, but looking back it FLIES.

And where you go to college will have a pretty big impact of where you end up afterwards.

In other words, if you want to stay close to home, and enjoy Illinois, go somewhere there and pick a school that has a good reputation in what you think you want to do.

If you want to jump out and go somewhere else to start a new life, then go somewhere far away, but remember it's harder to go home for the weekend to do laundry.  :lol:

The big thing is try to look at it from what you want to do with yourself, not what others want you to do, as someone else said in this thread.

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head there. I've already got a good idea about what I want to do with my life post college, so that should help out a lot in the decision process. On top of that, as you said, I'm likely to stay close in Illinois, or get the hell out far, far away. But if I do leave, I'm not sure how hard it would be to keep in touch with what is going on back home.

And I sent you a pm lol :lol:

By credit hours I'm a second semester sophomore at Indiana University Bloomington. I'm a double major in Germanic Studies and International Studies. The German department at IU is superb to say the least and I love the campus with the exception of some business scholl students and some students who live north of 10th St.

CS1- you're going to be a sophomore in high school this year right?

If so, that's way too early to think about college. So many things will change (your goals, grades, test scores, etc). You may think you know what you want know but it can change. Going into my sophomore year I thought I knew what I wanted to go to college for and that has changed since. Also, you have little idea what schools you will be able to get into as you have to make your grades and such. With that said it doesn't hurt anyone to simply think about it.

I just finished at U of I and enjoyed it, although some majors seem to be better than others. I did Speech and Communications and think it was only okay. The campus is really nice though, and the student services are pretty good. There's definitely a party atmosphere, and the bar scene is pretty ample, as is the Greek community. I had a lot of fun. The class size varies a lot: it isn't all lectures. Yes, a good number of the 100 level courses have a sizeable lecture with a discussion section, especially the intro level stuff. Quite a few of the 100 and 200 level courses have 30 students are less and are taught by a TA. Most of the 300 and 400 courses I took were small classes (most under 25) and were taught by a professor. I really wanted to go to NU, and while that might have helped my job search I think the overall college experience would have been less enjoyable and more stressful.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 08:23 PM)
I will be applying to:

Grand Valley State University

St. Cloud State University

Rutgers University

University of Minnesota

Akron University

You're like 7 years old, why are you already looking into colleges?

CS1, I'm looking at Marquette and University of Wisconsin right now.

I've visited Marquette, loved the campus. It reminded me of Chicago -- except, a little bit shrunk down -- and I love Chicago.

I'm also looking at UofW, because I've had a teacher who said she loved the campus and the whole aspect of it, and she's extremely down to earth, and fairly young, too. I want to be close to Illinois -- close enough for me to be able to drive home if I feel like it, yet far enough to where my parents will have to call if they're visiting. :D

robert morris college-springfield, aas, web design - for a two year program it wasn't bad...

u of illinois-springfield, ba, visual arts - loved the program. mostly good professors, good education, is a lil lacking socially (most students just kicked back in apartments with a few cold ones) but what would ya expect in springfield...

will probably go on for masters. only college i've looked into so far is east tennessee state...

My best advice for any student contemplating college decisions:

1. Choose a school with an environment you like the most. No matter how far away it is.

2. If you don't know what you want to study, if you're not at least 90% sure, go undecided. You will figure it out soon enough.

The rest will work itself out.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 10:59 PM)
My best advice for any student contemplating college decisions:

1.  Choose a school with an environment you like the most.  No matter how far away it is.

2.  If you don't know what you want to study, if you're not at least 90% sure, go undecided.  You will figure it out soon enough.

The rest will work itself out.

Forgot to add, I will be majoring in Media Relations/Journalism/Radio-Tv Announcing so you can all see my face on TV all the time! Aren't you all excited!?!?!?! ;) :lol:

QUOTE(CubsSuck1 @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 06:36 PM)
What are you majoring in? What is your schedule for this year?

Right now i'm in general education (ie: undecided)

But i will be applying to the business college to major in business administration this spring.

My schedule is boring, require classes. statistics, spanish, calculus, and accounting.

Tip: if your applying and even remotely interested in majoring in business, apply to the business college, it's a b**** to try and transfer (ie: me)