Benson Final Offer

Statement from Bears GM Jerry Angelo on Benson holdout

"After missing all of training camp, we want to make it abundantly clear that the Chicago Bears have made their best and final offer to Cedric Benson.

"No dollars are left on the bargaining table, and at this point the only contract discussions that will be entertained will be reflective of the considerable loss of value to the club created by the player's extended absence."

If the bears were my baseball team, i'd kill myself.

What a terrible organization.

Note: i'm not saying they're doing the wrong thing here, but they had to know of this kind of personality before drafting him. There were so many better players they could have gotten, bah.

QUOTE(SnB @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 11:04 PM)
If the bears were my baseball team, i'd kill myself.

What a terrible organization.

Note: i'm not saying they're doing the wrong thing here, but they had to know of this kind of personality before drafting him.  There were so many better players they could have gotten, bah.

Eh they have bad ownership but I dont blame them for drafting Benson. Hell the guy was crying on draft day if I remember and he was trying to get rid of that Ricky Williams persona about him you would think he would sign quick. And now im actually impressed that they are playing tough with him and i support their move.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 09:01 AM)
I would have made him a lowball offer and said take it or f*** off.

Yep that'll work extremely well. The Bears waste the #4 pick, and don't get a big need on offense filled at the same time.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 07:31 PM)
Yep that'll work extremely well. The Bears waste the #4 pick, and don't get a big need on offense filled at the same time.

RB is not a big need on offense, Jones did well last year, he was the lone bright spot (on offense). that line is the biggest need, if I were QBing for the Bears I'd lobby for a blocking sled over that line.

Edited by AirScott

QUOTE(AirScott @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 10:40 AM)
RB is not a big need on offense, Jones did well last year, he was the lone bright spot (on offense).  that line is the biggest need, if I were QBing for the Bears I'd lobby for a blocking sled over that line.

Thomas Jones isn't a starting running back in this league. He is a slasher, the Bears want a power runner for Ron Turner's offense. He hasn't shown he can be durable for a whole season, and only had 4 games last year where he rushed for over 100 yards. He's going to need to double that this year if he's startin, which I can't see happenin.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 07:42 PM)
Thomas Jones is NOT a starting running back in this league. He is a slasher, the Bears want a power runner for Ron Turner's offense. He hasn't shown he can be durable for a whole season, and only had 4 games last year where he rushed for over 100 yards. He's going to need to double that this year if he's startin, which I can't see happenin.

For the line they trotted out their last year TJ was more than decent.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 07:42 PM)
Thomas Jones isn't a starting running back in this league. He is a slasher, the Bears want a power runner for Ron Turner's offense. He hasn't shown he can be durable for a whole season, and only had 4 games last year where he rushed for over 100 yards. He's going to need to double that this year if he's startin, which I can't see happenin.

you're right in one aspect, Jones isn't the back for Turner's offense. but Jones showed last year he could be a starter, four 100 games behind that line ain't bad, specially since he isn't the right back for the system.

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 07:49 PM)
You dont know anything, I MEAN ANYTHING, about Football.

That is the most ignorant statement regarding Football I've ever read.

ugh you kidding me? I was talking about THE BEARS' offense. seeing as how this is a discussion about THE BEARS, and I followed it with a sentiment about a BEARS RUNNING BACK, I figured the connection was simple. guess I was wrong. but now that we're on the subject, the quarterback position is overrated. Moses Moreno could've lead Elway's Broncos on the 98 yard drive.

Edited by AirScott

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 12:49 AM)

He meant that rb is not very important for the Bears, b/c they already have Jones. I don't agree w/ it (I was maybe the only person on the board who thought Benson would be the best pick for Bears) -- but it's been said by a lot of people, many obviously knowing quite a bit about football. You need to calm down, you're just flipping out today.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 10:47 AM)
you're right in one aspect, Jones isn't the back for Turner's offense.  but Jones showed last year he could be a starter, four 100 games behind that line ain't bad, specially since he isn't the right back for the system.

It'll be interesting to see if he starts, what type of runs Turner has for him, because he's the type of back who would look perfect for the Denver Broncos just cuttting back.

That's why Benson is so important to the Bears offense, and why the Bears need to get him signed. He's a power runner. Chad Hutchison isn't going to win you any games this year. The only way the Bears will have a good season, if they can get a good power running game going with Benson and Jones as the fill in guy, that takes time off the clock, and keep Chicago's defense fresh.

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 07:49 PM)

Im glad your not the bears GM

You: Hello Cedric, how much money do you want to make

CB: I want 100 million for every time i touch the ball

You: Deal! see you at practice.

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 02:30 PM)
agent said benson wasnt affected by angelo's statement today...continued to say "maybe benson isnt meant to be a bear"

No suprise there. My guess is the Bears will cave in at the end of the pre-season after they see how bad their offense is.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 11:40 PM)
No suprise there. My guess is the Bears will cave in at the end of the pre-season after they see how bad their offense is.

I'm not so sure about that, what I do know is that Benson does not want to go back in the draft, and if he does he is sorely mistaken.