Boston trip

BamaDoc

QUOTE(BamaDoc @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 07:52 PM)
These two would pitch the next two games after Boston.  I hope we leave them in Chicago and avoid wearing them down in useless travel.

Not to worry, they won't be coming along.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Due to the quick nature of the trip, the team will travel without six of its players. All five starters, Mark Buehrle, Jon Garland, Freddy Garcia, Jose Contreras and Orlando Hernandez, will stay back in Chicago as will Joe Crede.

Guillen said that while he would rather travel with his entire squad, the circumstances of the unusual event made him decide otherwise.

"It's not easy because I think the team is part of the team and everybody should be involved," Guillen said. "But meanwhile, we're not going to use them and we're making a quick trip. I had a talk with a couple of players and they said they don't mind."

Edited by robinventura23

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 07:24 PM)
Yep and supposedly this is a big test for him from what I can tell.  If he pitches well we will continue the 6-man rotation if not go back to 5.

Nothing wrong with that...didn't get to watch the Texas game, but 7 2/3 innings and 2 hits against that lineup (one that has given him trouble since the spring btw) impressed me quite a bit.

My 1 little bitty worry is this...I always feel more comfortable having at least 1 starting pitcher sitting out in the bullpen in case we hit like 19 innings. But in Fenway, against the Red Sox bullpen, we shouldn't have to worry about that, right?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 04:44 AM)
My 1 little bitty worry is this...I always feel more comfortable having at least 1 starting pitcher sitting out in the bullpen in case we hit like 19 innings.  But in Fenway, against the Red Sox bullpen, we shouldn't have to worry about that, right?

Timo will pitch. He can do everything...

I would not be the least bit offended if Ozzie pull out the "Sunday Special" line up for this game at Boston since several of the players are not making the trip. I would like to sweep Detroit and beat Boston. However I worry about 2 flights in 24 hours wearing on the everyday players. So lets hope Ozzie saves the Sunday special line up with Gload, Timo, Blum and the rest of th B-Team for Monday.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 07:51 AM)
I would not be the least bit offended if Ozzie pull out the "Sunday Special" line up for this game at Boston since several of the players are not making the trip.  I would like to sweep Detroit and beat Boston.  However I worry about 2 flights in 24 hours wearing on the everyday players.  So lets hope Ozzie saves the Sunday special line up with Gload, Timo, Blum and the rest of th B-Team for Monday.

The question is...would you rather beat Boston or Detroit?

Personally...I don't think I'd complain about either, but if I had to pick, I'd pick the win over the 1st place team in the AL East. Every time you beat them, it makes them think a little bit more about you when you meet them in the playoffs.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 11:52 AM)
The question is...would you rather beat Boston or Detroit?

Personally...I don't think I'd complain about either, but if I had to pick, I'd pick the win over the 1st place team in the AL East.  Every time you beat them, it makes them think a little bit more about you when you meet them in the playoffs.

not this time. neither team wants to play, therefore it really means nothing - especially if we do send our b team. the result of the game doesnt matter whatsoever

QUOTE(Reddy @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 01:00 PM)
not this time.  neither team wants to play, therefore it really means nothing - especially if we do send our b team.  the result of the game doesnt matter whatsoever

I could not agree more. A win is a win. I would rather the more important players stay home on Monday and watch the game on TV. A travel day is exhausting enough for most people, but it must be more so for athletes. I would be fine if Timo batted third on Monday. Just as long as we are rested and healthy for the most important month. OCTOBER.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 11:06 AM)
I could not agree more.  A win is a win.  I would rather the more important players stay home on Monday and watch the game on TV.  A travel day is exhausting enough for most people, but it must be more so for athletes.  I would be fine if Timo batted third on Monday.  Just as long as we are rested and healthy for the most important month.  OCTOBER.

It remains my opinion that the best way to be rested and healthy for October is to get the division clinched ASAP. Once you do that...the only thing to be gained by playing everyone is some combination of practice time and home field advantage...but we're going to have home field in the W.S. anyway, and we're a damn good road team.

The answer to this is simple: You play the better lineup vs Detroit on Sunday, as you have a much better chance of winning at home with Garland on the mound instead of at Boston with McCarthy on the mound. I guarantee you though that Boston will go all out to win this game. I expect we'll still play a lot of starters. Let Gload play 1b, and let PK DH.