Woah

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 02:16 PM)
Whether it was a good controller or not is irrevlevant. What Nintendo did was successfully master the 3D control scheme with the Joy Stick, something other companies had failed to do up until that point.

Would you of liked to be playing 3d games with a D-Pad? Imagine that for second.

It's relevant when you call it the "greatest achievement in video games".

Joysticks have been around for a long time. Nintendo 64's joystick was nothing different, it still only allowed movement on two different axes. The real achievements in joysticks at the time allowed movements on three different axes (like the Sidewinder) for what I would consider a true 3D control scheme.

Is it just because Sony copied off of Nintendo with the Dual Shock? How come the Gamecube turned the C-buttons into a very pathetic C-stick to make it a second joystick? If they copied off of Sony, would that not also make the Dual Shock a candidate for the ethereal "greatest achievement in video games"? Advances in gaming hardware are made all the time by companies including Nintendo. I'm sure you can think of more than few achievements that were greater than the N-64 controller.

I honestly don't think we'd be playing 3d games with a D-Pad in 2005 even if the N64 hadn't had a joystick. Microsoft could have just as easily used a joystick based on their success in making similar hardware for 3D computer games. Mouses, trackballs and other analog peripherals used in 3D games are much more akin to a joystick than a directional pad. You asked me to imagine it but I just can't.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 09:10 PM)
Nintendo also owns the rights to the Battallion Wars(Advance Wars), Fire Emblem, F-Zero, Kirby, Pokemon, Kid Icarus, EarthBound, Eternal Darkness, Super Smash Brothers Melee, and Geist franchises. All of these will likely be seeing a Sequel on the Revolution.

Where have you heard that there might be an EarthBound sequel on the Revolution? The N64 version (Mother 3/EarthBound 2) was cancelled nearly 8 years ago and I haven't read or heard anything about there being a new one. Though I will admit that if there does happen to be a sequel I will probably pick up the Revolution.. I miss that RPG series.

QUOTE(SmokeandMirrors @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 11:15 PM)
Where have you heard that there might be an EarthBound sequel on the Revolution? The N64 version (Mother 3/EarthBound 2) was cancelled nearly 8 years ago and I haven't read or heard anything about there being a new one. Though I will admit that if there does happen to be a sequel I will probably pick up the Revolution.. I miss that RPG series.

There's not, I laughed when I saw Kid Icarus on that list too.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 02:41 PM)
Yep.

Now imagine fully controlled 3D movements and tilt sensors. This is the Revolution controller. Nintendo has basically made you the character in the game.

I already have fully controlled 3D movements on the PS2.

What exactly is a tilt sensor? Did they remake the Power Glove???

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 02:41 PM)
Matter of opinion...

I prefer the N64 controller A LOT more than having push an individual button for up, down, left, and right on the s***ty d-pad for the playstations.

There's not many games that use the d-pad anymore. Some games allow you to use either/or.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 11:46 AM)
I played Mario 64 a couple of times on my friends system but realized that I had outgrew Mario, Donkey Kong, StarFox and all the other cartoon characters that Nintendo insists on putting in half their games when I turned 13.

I was almost ill when I saw the new Mario Baseball...  :headshake

The reason that makes you ill is the reason that Nintendo gets me to buy. Call it flippant, silly, stupid, what have you. I dont really care, I enjoy the classic titles and reimaginations of these characters. It connects me with my Youth, I guess.

the only problems I ever see Nintendo having is an effective Console launch, but thats only on the US side. They always seem to half-ass it, maybe because they make alot of their money in Japan. Hopefully revolution will have a nice impact in the market. I actually expect quite a competitive showing by Nintendo, given the estimated prices of the competition and knowing Nintendos penchant for pricing themselves below the competition.

I know what i am buying and why I am buying it. Thats all I need to know.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 11:57 AM)
There's not many games that use the d-pad anymore. Some games allow you to use either/or.

Well then they're poorly placed in the bottom middle of the controller.

I know people like the ps controller, but I'm not one of them. Like I said, it's a matter of opinion and personal preference.

It would've been fun to make fun of the boomerang if not for the remote control. :(

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 12:15 PM)
Well then they're poorly placed in the bottom middle of the controller.

I know people like the ps controller, but I'm not one of them.  Like I said, it's a matter of opinion and personal preference.

It would've been fun to make fun of the boomerang if not for the remote control. :(

I've always thought the N64 joystick was akward being in the center of the controller.

The GC controller basically copied the left-side of the PS controller but switched the d-pad and joystick...