LMFAO!!!!!!!

NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 07:17 AM)
Wow.  Too bad Pat Robertson didn't say it, that way the rest of the networks could run it as their top story.

One is a crackpot who has a million+ followers and a huge media empire (Robertson owns ABC Family etc.) The other has a show on low-power cable that most cities don't even get. While the point of them both being religious leaders doesn't slip past me -- I don't think they'd get high ratings if the media went after Mr. "I need to rent out bingo halls" Farrakhan.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 09:47 AM)
I don't think they'd get high ratings if the media went after Mr. "I need to rent out bingo halls" Farrakhan.

That is exactly my point. One guy equals ratings, dispite Farrakhan holding sway over a large segment of population. Just because the guy doesn't have a cable network, doesn't mean he doesn't hold influence. There are many, many people who follow and believe him, just like Robertson. Heck the way the media portrays it the good minister basically speaks for the black race, while Robertson just speaks for the right wing wackos.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 10:17 AM)
That is exactly my point.  One guy equals ratings, dispite Farrakhan holding sway over a large segment of population.  Just because the guy doesn't have a cable network, doesn't mean he doesn't hold influence.  There are many, many people who follow and believe him, just like Robertson.  Heck the way the media portrays it the good minister basically speaks for the black race, while Robertson just speaks for the right wing wackos.

I don't think you can compare the two in credibility. I believe Robertson has far more credibiity in main steam America. Which is why his remarks are far more newsworthy and shocking. Farrakhan's remarks were not shocking and I think most people reacted like Nuke and found it funny. There is a huge difference in Bush saying something and some psycho guy muttering it on a corner and the media should treat them differently. Same with this. That psycho on the corner may have a great deal of influence with the other psychos on the corner.

I guess we should also define large segment of the population. How large do you think Farrakhan has? How do you define sway?

In the early 90's Farrakhan had much more clout and power than he does now. Once he got sick he vanished from view, and most of your "common folk" and white America has forgotten the guy even exists. I know I mentioned him at work here the other day, and most people replied with a "Who? Oh yeah...I remember him". But back around '92-'93 the guy was on the cover of the newspaper everyday, and getting REALLY scary with what he was preaching and how much popularity he was gaining.

Then 20/20 and all the news shows started coming out with the shows that were designed to more or less control his image. I remember the one episode where they interviews one of Farrakhan's best friends, one of the only people he kept REALLY close to him, and it was a white guy. He explained how Farrakhan was NOT racist at all, and had many, many white friends. His main problem was he was a fire and brimstone guy who just shot his mouth off. Through these shows I actually gained a little respect for the man.

Then he got sick and disappeared from the media eye. Now it looks like he is crawling back out to his old ways. Shame.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 10:32 AM)
I don't think you can compare the two in credibility. I believe Robertson has far more credibiity in main steam America. Which is why his remarks are far more newsworthy and shocking. Farrakhan's remarks were not shocking and I think most people reacted like Nuke and found it funny. There is a huge difference in Bush saying something and some psycho guy muttering it on a corner and the media should treat them differently. Same with this. That psycho on the corner may have a great deal of influence with the other psychos on the corner.

I guess we should also define large segment of the population. How large do you think Farrakhan has? How do you define sway?

He is the leader of the Nation of Islam, involved in the NAACP, and the Million Black Man march. I would say that he is a pretty big number when you start adding up those organizations. I would tend to guess it would be fairly close to Robertson's organization. I would tend to say that a leader of an organization and the organizer of events that can attract a million people holds sway over people, but maybe that is just me.

QUOTE(56789 @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 09:28 PM)
I saw a survivor say this right after the hurricane happened. He said he heard a loud explosion when the levee broke or some s*** like that. :rolly

That's weird because the sound of concrete breaking apart suddenly under thousands of tons of pressure is really quiet, so it must have been an explosion... :bang

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 07:57 AM)
That's weird because the sound of concrete breaking apart suddenly under thousands of tons of pressure is really quiet, so it must have been an explosion... :bang

especially considering that this guy is saying he heard it over the 150+ MPH winds of a hurricane.