Everett Not Happy

DBAHO

He's walking the plank now; :ph34r:

The last place Ozzie Guillen expected to hear criticism from was his own clubhouse.

Second-guessing on the part of the media and fans? The second-year White Sox manager knows that comes with the territory.

But his clubhouse seemed to remain a sanctum that was not infiltrated by negativity.

Until now.

Unhappy with a demotion from third to sixth in the batting order, designated hitter Carl Everett made his feelings known before Friday's game.

"Put it this way: It's always me," Everett said. "Someone has to sit or be moved down, it's always me. We've been winning with (him hitting No. 3) all year long, so why would he (Guillen) change it now?"

Everett arrived at the ballpark to find that his usual No. 3 spot in the order was occupied by catcher A.J. Pierzynski, while the switch-hitting Everett was moved to sixth for only the fourth time this season. He has occupied the No. 3 spot 83 times.

Guillen doesn't take criticism from his players well, and Everett is no exception.

"Well, good, I won't even put him in the lineup (today)," Guillen said. "Carl always thinks it's a personal problem, and I don't know why he always thinks like that. The way he's swinging the bat right now, I'm trying to get him to relax a little bit and take the pressure off of him. It's not just because it's him.

"Right now, as a group, we're not swinging the bat well. You got to look yourself in the mirror and say, 'There's a reason I'm being moved down.' If I thought he was swinging the bat good, I would leave him alone. I make the lineup the best I can. It's a shame when people say something to the media before they say something to me, but then again, sometimes people don't want to hear what I have to say. I say the truth.

"I did it because I thought it was better for the team and better for him. I move a lot of people around in the lineup. Just because he moved a couple of spots down, that doesn't mean nothing. If Carl has a bad feeling about it, get four hits and I'll move you back."

The timing of the friction between Everett and Guillen couldn't be worse, as the Sox have watched a 15-game lead in the American League Central through Aug. 1 slip to 1½.

But Everett — who went 1-for-3 Friday in the Sox's 3-1 win over Minnesota — has a point.

He began the season as an everyday starter and was reduced to a part-time role when Frank Thomas returned from the disabled list May 30. Thomas returned to the DL on July 22 and Everett again became an everyday player, but he has been penciled in at five different spots in the batting order.

Everett had not expressed displeasure with Guillen until Friday.

With the pressure of the division race bearing down on the Sox, tempers seem to be flaring.

"The thing that bothers me is when a player says, 'Why me? Why is this happening to me?' " Guillen said. "I move (Aaron) Rowand back to the seventh spot when Rowand isn't so hot. I moved J.D. (Jermaine Dye) down. When you're not swinging the bat well ... if you want to talk about Paul Konerko, I can't move Konerko because he has 30-some home runs. I try to make the best lineup I can to win each game."

Everett entered Friday's game hitless in his two previous games and 9-for-64 (.141) in his previous 17 games.

"It's a funny thing about it," Guillen said. "I watch the game and I watch everyone swing the bat. Carl's not swinging the bat well. If he thinks he's swinging the bat good, I don't know what game he is watching. I'm going to do what's best for this team.

"If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. Don't prove me right. Go out there and prove me wrong. If he proves me wrong, if he has better swings and at-bats, he's going to be back up there. If that was the case, I would have left him alone."

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 10:56 PM)
Well, at least this guarantees Everett won't be back next year.  I'm proud of Ozzie for doing the right thing in this case. Of course, he'll probably be in the lineup tonight, which he should be.  Everett has been amazing vs Mays in his career.

But Ozzie never looks at the stats remember?

(Or is that just for pitching?) :P

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 12:58 PM)
Wow, Fathom, you think you that all by yourself....

:P  :P  :P  :cheers

I don't think I've ever been happier to see a little clubhouse friction than in this case. I put absolutely no blame on Ozzie here, and Everett has got to act like more of a veteran leader than that.

Could the clubhouse malcontent we'd heard about finally be rearing his ugly head?

Seriously, Carl, you want to stay at #3 in the order?

Hit higher than .220 when the team needs you most.

Ever heard of winning DESPITE someone?

And by the way.....the team hasn't been winning nearly as often lately...in case you couldn't pry your head out of your ass long enough to notice.

You have to ride with the veterans. You know it always averages out.

If Ozzie forces Carl out just because of him questioning OZ one time, this team is f***ed. Imagine working at a company where any questioning of the boss results in you being fired. A good manager works this to his advantage, doesn't just get rid of the guy.

Of course OZ says he's quiting after winning the WS, so it's all probably a mute point.

Everett may be tired. He hasn't been out of the lineup for a long time. If Brian Anderson can get some AB's at Dh to rest him, that may not be the worst idea.

I think some of these comments come from being frustrated at his horrible stretch. No big thing. But just hit dammit

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 07:56 AM)
Well, at least this guarantees Everett won't be back next year.  I'm proud of Ozzie for doing the right thing in this case. Of course, he'll probably be in the lineup tonight, which he should be.  Everett has been amazing vs Mays in his career.

Fathom: It doesn't happen often, but I TOTALLY agree with you in this. Ozie is the manager; Everett is one of the players. Keep your mouth shut and play! Everett needs to be in the lineup though. We can't lose a bat like Everett in this crucial stretch of the season.

Win these last two games with the Twins and the four games against the Tigers next week, we will make the postseason, either as divisional leader or wildcard.

Sigh, Ozzie, Ozzie, Ozzie :headshake.

Carl should understand and not run his mouth, but Ozzie's: "good, well I won't even put him in the lienup today" is not gonna help. Ozzie Montana makes another appearance.

I wonder if PK still thinks he'd rather play the rest of the season with this team than to go out get some help because the chemistry is so great.

How many people who say Carl STFU would take that advice in their own jobs?

Clear the air and move on is far better than letting this s*** fester.

It would seem y'all want the team to walk around with fake smiles and a Barney attitude. Perhaps they should sing

I love you,

You love me,

We're a happy family,

with a great big hug,

and a kiss from me to you,

Won't you say you love me TOO!

I love you,

You love me,

We're best friends like friends should be,

With a great big hug,

And a kiss from me to you,

Won't you say you love me too

These are adults who should be able to discuss workplace issues.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 02:51 PM)

It would seem y'all want the team to walk around with fake smiles and a Barney attitude. Perhaps they should sing

We have crap happen all the time we don't like in our workplace. Either deal with it man to man or STFU and stop complaining.

I disagree with you on this one, Tex.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 02:51 PM)

At this point in the season, you do whatever the hell the manager asks you to do. Everett is just as responsible for the struggles of this team as anyone else. What the hell is he complaining about? He's got a hell of a lot more playing time this year than was expected. These comments by Everett follow in the path of his at-bats this season: SELFISH!

QUOTE(SnB @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 02:55 PM)
Ok, before i just disliked carl because of his skill, now i just plain dislike him.

"it's always me"

dear carl, maybe that's because you're the one that doesn't do anything productive.

Carl has still been productive this yr, even with a sub .250 avg. And in the playoffs, Carl will be heard from, mark my words

Everett should be given some slack with his comments. Sure, he deserves to be moved down. Ozzie kept him at the 32rd spot a lot longer than most managers would have. But he's at his absolute lowest point, slumping big time during a key stretch. We haven't heard any problems re: Carl all yr. Now there are some "gripes". I don't think his slump and words spoken out of frustration are a coincidence.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 12:55 AM)
We have crap happen all the time we don't like in our workplace.  Either deal with it man to man or STFU and stop complaining. 

Especially when it's for the BETTERMENT of the team here.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 09:55 AM)
We have crap happen all the time we don't like in our workplace.  Either deal with it man to man or STFU and stop complaining. 

And we tell co-workers, we post here, etc.

STFU isn't the answer. We'd have 1/2 the team pissed and keeping it to themselves.

Name a championship team that pretends to all be happy and loving each other?