Message to JR: Sign Konerko now

Commander Fisk

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Sep 27, 2005 -> 11:19 PM)
Will Reinsdorf be willing to pay Konerko a possible 4yr/40 million dollar deal? Houston, Boston, Anaheim have already set their sights on him.

IMHO, 3yr/$33M gets it done. Thoughts on that?

As for Konerko being the only major-leauge hitter in our lineup...I couldn't agree more with that statement.

He needs to be back. NEEDS to be back.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 12:33 PM)
IMHO, 3yr/$33M gets it done.  Thoughts on that?

As for Konerko being the only major-leauge hitter in our lineup...I couldn't agree more with that statement.

He needs to be back.  NEEDS to be back.

I would be shocked if he signs for anywhere near that little money. There are teams that need his juice-free bat, badly, us being one of them. I have no doubt he will get at least a 4 year deal with at least $11 million a year.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 11:41 AM)
I would be shocked if he signs for anywhere near that little money.  There are teams that need his juice-free bat, badly, us being one of them. I have no doubt he will get at least a 4 year deal with at least $11 million a year.

Well, I suppose I could see both Houston and Boston offering that fourth year. But, I fear that might be something Reinsdorf and company shys away from.

At some point, I just have to admit that I still find solace in good old hometown favoritism and loyalty.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with wanting the most green. Baseball is a business. But, I can still dream can't I?

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 12:45 PM)
Well, I suppose I could see both Houston and Boston offering that fourth year.  But, I fear that might be something Reinsdorf and company shys away from. 

At some point, I just have to admit that I still find solace in good old hometown favoritism and loyalty. 

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with wanting the most green.  Baseball is a business.  But, I can still dream can't I?

Trust me I would love to see Pauly back here for cheap, but I think if that were going to happen, it would have happened already.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 11:47 AM)
Trust me I would love to see Pauly back here for cheap, but I think if that were going to happen, it would have happened already.

That's hardly cheap. That said, with the recent steroid madness, guys like Paul Konerko who produce 30-40HR on a fairly consistant basis and do it CLEANLY are really going to see their vaule sky-rocket.

I never thought I would say it, but, guys like Paul Konerko have become :o a rare commoditiy.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 12:50 PM)
That's hardly cheap.  That said, with the recent steroid madness, guys like Paul Konerko who produce 30-40HR on a fairly consistant basis and do it CLEANLY are really going to see their vaule sky-rocket.

I never thought I would say it, but, guys like Paul Konerko have become  :o a rare commoditiy.

In the Paul Konerko market $33 million is going to be cheap. I think we are looking at the $45-50 million range when all is said and done. Sad, but with Pauly being the premier hitter on the market, it is entirely possible.

This really doesn't seem that difficult to figure out.

The White Sox don't plan on signing Konerko unless it's to what they offer.

As far as we know, they haven't been willing to talk during the season with him, and Kenny Williams keeps talking about a low-quality free agent market, which means that the best free agents, like Konerko, are going to get bigger contracts, since more teams are fighting for less talent.

Expect him to get to the Angels/Dodgers or one of the NY teams. They will blow away anything the Sox offer.

How many teams are really going to be after him? I personally doubt that the Angels make a huge offer with Kotchman and Morales developing. It'll be a decent one, but I don't think it'll be in the 4/$48 range. Boston? They have bigger problems than who is going to play 1B. The Dodgers? Possibly, but considering their reluctance to sign Beltre and some of the other contracts they're stuck with, I'm not so sure. Baltimore? A possibility with Sosa and Palmeiro out, but they really need pitching. Mets? Bigger issues. Yankees? Same. I think this FA market could have the opposite effect than some think. Instead of driving up the price of what's there, fewer teams will be making big splashes because the market is crappy, kind of like this year's trade deadline market, especially with the poor early returns of so many of the guys from last season.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Personally, somehow I get the feeling that the longer Paulie stays on the market, the more his price will go up as teams feel they need to do something to make a splash this offseason. Anaheim and the Metropolitans are the 2 teams this might be particularly important to - Anaheim is still trying to grow in the LA Market and the Mets are launching a new cable channel.

I seriously think that we should make a decision whether or not we want him, ask his agent what it would take for him to sign, and if we decide we want him and can't replace him, we should match his price. The longer he's out there, the more teams will want him.

Look at his numbers guys. He's produced this much with this s***ty offense. I'm sure there's not many other 1B freeagents that would top that with this lineup. I'd say sign the guy after the season ends and he'll probably be looking for 4 yrs./ 50 mil. Dont know how we can pull that out but I'd like to see them atleast put a good effort to signing the guy.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 04:04 AM)
Ok who hits in the #4 spot then? That's 40HR and 100RBI's your losing of production right there. Who else on the Sox or in the FA market is going to replace that?

And I'm getting sick of this payroll bashing. The fact is, the payroll has increased for the last 5 years in a row at least. With a record # of Attendance for a while, there's no way, it ain't gonna get increased.

Right now, I'd take a #3 hole hitter and then worry about the 4 hole.

Where did I ever bash the payroll? All I'm saying is that its doubtful again to raise the payroll such a significant amount to be able to resign Konerko and other key additions.

Really, do you want an offense like this years?

When you look at the issue of Konerko's impending departure, which I believe is almost certain, it's really an important moment for this organization.

If Konerko leaves, Williams is left having to deal OF prospects-- which are several years away from contributing, because with a formidable pitching staff you can't (legitimately) hold faith in this current offense mimmicking it's "just enough to win" success.

Without question, Williams has his work cut out. Fail to resign Konerko? He damn well better find a replacement. No excuses about blaming the market or reciting a "Two to Tango" bulls***. I expect more results and less whining.

If our minor leaguers advanced a little quicker, or played positions besides OF, we wouldn't be put into these offseason binds year after year when important players are FA's. Instead, raw and/or developing talent will have to be delt to bring us a 1st baseman.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 12:28 PM)
Losing Lee, Ordonez, Konerko and maybe even Thomas all in the span of two years?

My God, we could have a weaker lineup than the Royals.

It would be damn foolish if trying to sign him wasn't their #1 priority in the offseason.

I second this post.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 07:22 AM)
Right now, I'd take a #3 hole hitter and then worry about the 4 hole.

Where did I ever bash the payroll? All I'm saying is that its doubtful again to raise the payroll such a significant amount to be able to resign Konerko and other key additions.

Really, do you want an offense like this years?

You'ree neglecting one part of the offense to fill another. Iguchi can move down to the #3 spot if we get a #2 hitter. You lose Konerko, there's no-one who's gonna replace his output.

Thomas comes off the books, so does Everett. That's about $10M free right there. You trade a Contreras in a deal for Chad Tracy, that's anither 6-8M saved right there. Payroll should go up by about 10M at least. Garland will get a raise for next season for about 2 to 3M, same for A.J. That leaves plenty of payroll room left for Mr. Konerko.

Konerko has not been the problem with this offense. You take him out, how much worse would our offense be?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 10:45 PM)
You'ree neglecting one part of the offense to fill another. Iguchi can move down to the #3 spot if we get a #2 hitter. You lose Konerko, there's no-one who's gonna replace his output.

Thomas comes off the books, so does Everett. That's about $10M free right there. You trade a Contreras in a deal for Chad Tracy, that's anither 6-8M saved right there. Payroll should go up by about 10M at least. Garland will get a raise for next season for about 2 to 3M, same for A.J. That leaves plenty of payroll room left for Mr. Konerko.

Konerko has not been the problem with this offense. You take him out, how much worse would our offense be?

Contreras ain't going anywhere anymore after how he's carried this staff the last two months.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 04:47 AM)
Contreras ain't going anywhere anymore after how he's carried this staff the last two months.

Yup.

The Sox have one spot of depth right now; pitching. Let's keep it that way.

If you're gonna deal a pitcher, trade one of the AA arms -- Tracey or Haigwood. Hands off Chris Young, though.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 10:53 PM)
Yup.

The Sox have one spot of depth right now; pitching.  Let's keep it that way.

If you're gonna deal a pitcher, trade one of the AA arms -- Tracey or Haigwood.  Hands off Chris Young, though.

For the longest time I was all for trading Jose in the offseason but not anymore..he's really forming into an ace like we knew he could be and it's really fun to watch considering what he's had to deal with.

If we could get Chad Tracy for a package of El Duque, Sean Tracey and Daniel Haigwood, I'd make the move right now. That said, I think teams are going to want a guy like Contreras to move a real good player offensively.

But KW's probably thinking about locking up Contreras for the next few years after next season anyways.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 06:26 AM)
Haven't the Angels already said that PK will be their number one target in the offseason?  We're going to outbid Anaheim?  No, we're not.  PK will get more money than he's worth, a lot more.  And that will mean that we'll have to get a 1B (or possibly 3B) through a trade.  That's fine by me.  I've been saying that Konerko has had his foot out the door ever since he took a completely selfish approach at the plate the first three months of the season.  The guy was and still is looking for a big payday, and I don't mean the candy bar, though that wouldn't surprise me either since he's a fat piece of crap.

I know what the Sox should do: sign the great Herbert Perry. Talk about a fat piece of crap! You can't seriously diss PK and and be a Herbert Perry fan. Quite frankly, your affinity for Herbert Perry is a little scary. Are you on meds?

QUOTE(Commander Fisk @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 12:09 AM)
I know what the Sox should do: sign the great Herbert Perry. Talk about a fat piece of crap! You can't seriously diss PK and and be a Herbert Perry fan. Quite frankly, your affinity for Herbert Perry is a little scary. Are you on meds?

Easy there, Hoss. That is bordering on a personal attack. Let it end here and now!