How is it Ozzies fault?

BamaDoc

I know the topic title will bring forth the Ozzie haters and I admit I do not agree with every move. I also admit he is much closer to the situation than I. For instance, how long was Hermanson's back hurting before anyone of us knew about it or how many nights did he know he didn't have him available. Anyway, my real point is that our team has done far more than expected as NO player is having a career year on offense. I can not find any other team that didn't have someone and usually several guys deviate from their statistical norms. Furthermore, we had one guy on our team, for only a brief period of time, that scared other pitchers. Once Frank left we never regained that presence by any other player stepping up. Also, we were successful in manufacturing runs. How can anyone b**** about Podsednik when he was key to the first half. Do any of you realize pre injury he was roughly 50-9 in stolen bases and 6-14 since. The injury came right around Frank leaving killing our ability to play the same small ball that worked before. How is that Ozzies fault. He can't swing the bat for guys who are pressing and doesn't have anything close to a proven alternative. Lets get real! GO SOX!

Check my first sentence, I disagree with many moves but with our offense you have no help. My comment was more on the lines of when has such an inept offense with no one having a great year gotten this far!? Virtually no one is batting above career norms(AJ homers mild exception). We have no one close to any major catagory.

QUOTE(BamaDoc @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 10:43 PM)
Check my first sentence, I disagree with many moves but with our offense you have no help.  My comment was more on the lines of when has such an inept offense with no one having a great year gotten this far!?  Virtually no one is batting above career norms(AJ homers mild exception).  We have no one close to any major catagory.

From what I can gather, you are trying to state that Ozzie has done very little to hurt the offense with his moves, and that our offense has been mediocre regardless of what Ozzie has done?

If so, I'd disagree. Everett hit 3rd and sucked how long before Ozzie finally dropped in the order? He has given Timo Perez how many ABs in the leadoff spot this season? His inability to raise Uribe and Crede in the order during the past month while they have been destroying the ball? All of those moves are hurting the offense a little bit in their own ways, leading to mediocrity or worse.

I also hated when we put Timo at lead off and many of the other moves but all our hitters are pretty much sucking this year. Who would you have put in those situations? Blum as an offensive addition get real. Since moving Carl down what have our three hole guys done? Next to nothing. You have to execute and our guys aren't. Just tell me who isn't playing that can lead us into the promised land now not after a game. Who isn't playing that can do it? Who do you know will come through? Tell us in advance not complain after. If you know please tell Ozzie also!

I think his pitching manuevers are questionable as well but I think his overmanaging at times is due to little faith in the offense. An absense of faith which has been justified. Hopefully all straightens out as the playoffs loom. Night all, much more enjoyable debating/discussing after a win.

QUOTE(BamaDoc @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 07:24 PM)
I know the topic title will bring forth the Ozzie haters and I admit I do not agree with every move.  I also admit he is much closer to the situation than I.  For instance, how long was Hermanson's back hurting before anyone of us knew about it or how many nights did he know he didn't have him available.  Anyway, my real point is that our team has done far more than expected as NO player is having a career year on offense.  I can not find any other team that didn't have someone and usually several guys deviate from their statistical norms.  Furthermore, we had one guy on our team, for only a brief period of time, that scared other pitchers.  Once Frank left we never regained that presence by any other player stepping up.  Also,  we were successful in manufacturing runs.  How can anyone b**** about Podsednik when he was key to the first half.  Do any of you realize pre injury he was roughly 50-9 in stolen bases and 6-14 since.  The injury came right around Frank leaving killing our ability to play the same small ball that worked before.  How is that Ozzies fault.  He can't swing the bat for guys who are pressing and doesn't have anything close to a proven alternative.  Lets get real!  GO SOX!

You are not going to get many to agree with you, I agree with you though. Get used to being a sox fan. Most of us whine about every little f***ing thing. Our firts division title in 5 years is possibly less than 24 hours away, yet , Ozzie should lose his job.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 28, 2005 -> 11:41 PM)
I don't think Ozzie's handling of the offense has been the main gripe. It's been his use of the bullpen and starters and bringing in the wrong guy in crucial situations etc.

You mean the same pitching staff that has carried the Sox to the brink of a division title?

For the record, I think those you that think Ozzie has sucked as a manager this year can't see the forest for the trees. I'm not going to argue with anyone about this. You all have your opinions and I have mine. I don't believe I can convince any of you otherwise, and I know I'm not going to change my mind.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 02:09 AM)
And i think those that think ozzie is a good game manager don't understand the game of basebal very well.

And if you want to talk forest-trees: Lou Piniella.

I understand the game of baseball quite well, thank you.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Sep 29, 2005 -> 02:09 AM)
And i think those that think ozzie is a good game manager don't understand the game of basebal very well.

And if you want to talk forest-trees: Lou Piniella.

I think overall, Ozzie has done a great job. I could give a s*** what you think of my baseball knowledge.

If you look in the Cardinals, Red Sox or Yankees' message board, you will see at many times during this season Larussa, Francona and Torre were all being criticized and being virtually fired by their fans. That's the nature of watching games through such a long period of time. There will be ups and downs even in one game, let alone 162!

To me, the bottom line is the number of wins, and whether or not we make the postseason. Well we are going to have more than 95 wins and make the playoff by winning tonight game.

What more do you want to ask for from the 2ND-YEAR manager?

And please do not tell me making the postseason is nothing, and any manager can take this group of players and advance past the regular season! How long have we been waiting for the postseason? Without Ozzie, we won't have this current record. All of the players believe in Ozzie. Remember we did not have Thomas for most of the season! We could have made the postseason last year if not for the ending-season injuries to Ordonez AND Thomas!

Perhaps you guys can make your own league and be its coach, but this Sox fan think it's way OVER the line to create FireOzzie.com!