BMAC not on 25 man for ALDS?

knightni

First of all, let me say that I love McCarthy as a pitcher.

I defended him when most here give him crap after rough outings earlier in the year; but, it just makes sense to hold him back until the ALCS.

He pitched 100+ pitches today, so he wouldn't be available to pitch again until at least Game 3 on Friday.

It's a 3 of 5 series; I think Ozzie will go with an extra RP that is more rested than BMAC.

Is it worth keeping him on the ALDS roster even though he won't pitch for the first 2 games?

QUOTE(knightni @ Oct 2, 2005 -> 01:21 PM)
First of all, let me say that I love McCarthy as a pitcher.

I defended him when most here give him crap after rough outings earlier in the year; but, it just makes sense to hold him back until the ALCS.

He pitched 100+ pitches today, so he wouldn't be available to pitch again until at least Game 3 on Friday.

It's a 3 of 5 series; I think Ozzie will go with an extra RP that is more rested than BMAC.

Is it worth keeping him on the ALDS roster even though he won't pitch for the first 2 games?

He'd be able to pitch an inning if need be on weds as that would be his side day anyway.

Can the White Sox switch players between the ALDS and ALCS?

If so, then I won't be as upset if they don't take McCarthy because he won't be available to pitch in the first two games in Chicago anyway. I would still leave Vizcaino home because McCarthy shut down the Red Sox in Fenway recently, and I'd love to have him available if any of those games went extra innings.

But who knows the answer to my question?

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 2, 2005 -> 08:17 PM)
You can switch guys as long as they are post-season eligible.

This answers a question I put up on another post. Sorry, I hadn't seen this.

As I think about it, I think BMac is worth keeping in the ALDS because he could help win a game if one of the Fenway games goes long. I don't want Vizcaino to appear in anything but a laugher or for mop up if we get torched. I think he gets way too nervous and then he gets wild. Today, Cleveland hitters helped him out on a couple of occasions.

I felt that El Duque gives you more than Vizcaino so BMac should have been left but now I'm really wondering why is Marte being given a chance?

He's done very little to deserve it in Sept & the same can be said for most of the year. So keeping him means you are hoping he gets the magic back that he showed 2 yrs ago. That's ridiculous. You're better off hoping in El Duque's post season success.

I'm just wondering if El Duque did enough this series against Hafner & company to convince Ozzie he can get LHers out. What El Duque offers that Marte can't is a wicked curve, slider, & a funky delivery that makes it very hard to pick up his release point. His greatest weakness is the BB.

Marte looks very 1-dimensional this year. He's highly dependant on getting the corners called for strikes.

If you look at 02-04 avgs:

Marte vs LHers: .267A/.767OPS, vs RHers: .244A/.817OPS

ElDuq vs LHers: .236A/.700OPS, vs RHers: .231A/.643OPS

Even further look at how they compare against the heart of lineups:

2005 Marte vs 3-4-5: .325A/.975OPS .. .El Duque vs 3-4-5: .280A/.810OPS

I'd rather bet on El Duque finding the magic than Marte.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 3, 2005 -> 01:51 AM)
I'll tell ya, the only thing that goes against Jugg's post is that Marte will HAVE to get a lefty vs. lefty out in a game - who else do you go to?  Neal for some reason unbeknownst to all of us doesn't get the call. 

Hard hard choices here.

Does anybody know Marte's career numbers vs. Ortiz?

I dont know if anyone has a copy of todays Suntimes, but on page 138 there is a picture of BMAC throwing a changeup. Its a pretty cool picture to look at, he holds the ball like a forkball between his last two fingers.

QUOTE(chisoxfan79 @ Oct 2, 2005 -> 09:57 PM)
Does anybody know Marte's career numbers vs. Ortiz?

2 for 7 with a HR, 3 RBI, 2 BB and 2 K's.

Ortiz is 0 for 4 lifetime with a 2 K's off Vizcaino.

Neal Cotts has faced Ortiz twice, whiffed him both times.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 2, 2005 -> 07:51 PM)
I'll tell ya, the only thing that goes against Jugg's post is that Marte will HAVE to get a lefty vs. lefty out in a game - who else do you go to?  Neal for some reason unbeknownst to all of us doesn't get the call. 

Hard hard choices here.

A lot of people should get the call before Marte as he can just not get lefties out. I hope to god that we don't see a Marte-Ortiz faceoff anytime this series. That's the thing that scares me about Damaso on the roster because he's there you know ozzie will use him in a big situation to try and get a lefty out.

Edited by Rowand44