Weather

kwill

I remember when Hoyt Wilhelm used to pitch for Chicago. The announcers used to claim that he was most unhittable if the wind was blowing from home plate directly to the mound. This would make his pitches dance the maximum amount. The weather report says that Friday the wind will be coming from the south at 17 mph. However, I don't know the location of home plate, in reference to the mound at Fenway.

QUOTE(ottawa_sox @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 11:07 PM)
The weather report says that Friday the wind will be coming from the south at 17 mph.  However, I don't know the location of home plate, in reference to the mound at Fenway.

If it is coming from Due South, it would be blowing from home plate to third base.

A southwest wind would be blowing from home to the mound.

A southeast wind is a cross wind from first base to third base.

All this courtesy of Google Earth.

QUOTE(ottawa_sox @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 09:07 PM)
I remember when Hoyt Wilhelm used to pitch for Chicago.  The announcers used to claim that he was most unhittable if the wind was blowing from home plate directly to the mound.  This would make his pitches dance the maximum amount.  The weather report says that Friday the wind will be coming from the south at 17 mph.  However, I don't know the location of home plate, in reference to the mound at Fenway.

I tell ya what...when I was growing up my dad and I used to play catch and he played minor league ball and on an Air Force base team and was a pitcher and threw on hellacious knuckleball. We'd always have to turn so he could throw it in the wind....and I s*** you not...there was a couple times when I thought I had it and got hit once in the ear once and the other right in the sac. You bet yer ass they like the wind. Dance is a pretty accurate assessment.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Oct 6, 2005 -> 09:13 PM)
If it is coming from Due South, it would be blowing from home plate to third base. 

A southwest wind would be blowing from home to the mound.

A southeast wind is a cross wind from first base to third base.

All this courtesy of Google Earth.

For those that need a visual.