IT WAS THE RIGHT CALL.

NUKE_CLEVELAND

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, not for nothin, but the 1st and/or 3rd plate umpire can and do often call off the home plate umpire all the time (check swings, home runs...), so if either of them didn't call him out, being that they had a better sight of the pitch/play, it would seem to me that thier call is the better and more correct one... what do you guys think?

:huh

You know, not for nothin, but the 1st and/or 3rd plate umpire can and do often call off the home plate umpire all the time (check swings, home runs...), so if either of them didn't call him out, being that they had a  better sight of the pitch/play, it would seem to me that thier call is the better and more correct one... what do you guys think?

:huh

FOX showed the 3rd base coach Ed Rapuano talk to Eddings and he must have agreed that the ball did indeed hit the ground. Of course, there's no way Rapuano could have seen it for sure from where he was standing IMO. The only video that is of any value is the zoomed-in shot of Josh Paul's glove.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 02:41 AM)
FOX showed the 3rd base coach Ed Rapuano talk to Eddings and he must have agreed that the ball did indeed hit the ground.  Of course, there's no way Rapuano could have seen it for sure from where he was standing IMO.  The only video that is of any value is the zoomed-in shot of Josh Paul's glove.

A side angle shot also appears to illustrate how Paul's glove pops up a bit from the ground as the ball arrives which makes me think the ball bounced upwards into his glove.

in the zoomed in slo-mo replay you can see the ball clearly change directions before entering Paul's glove

nobody heard the umpire say "you're out"

josh paul was in the process of tossing the ball back out to the mound when the umpire made the fist signal that SOME people think indicates "out"

what exaclyt is the Angel's argument

Earlier in the game, Garret Anderson swung and foul tipped a third strike which AJ threw down to third for the 3rd strike. But the ump said the ball hit the dirt, there was a discussion and they checked the ball for dirt. Why didn't they do this on THE PLAY?

QUOTE(jimb408 @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 12:19 PM)
Earlier in the game, Garret Anderson swung and foul tipped a third strike which AJ threw down to third for the 3rd strike. But the ump said the ball hit the dirt, there was a discussion and they checked the ball for dirt. Why didn't they do this on THE PLAY?

Because the ball had been rolled on the ground already??

I don't feel like reading 8 pages of it. But, to me, the bottom line is, catch or bounce, you still have to keep playing. You have to keep Ozuna from stealing second and you have to keep Crede from getting the game winning run. Escobar and the Angels didn't do that, game over.

Bad/borderline calls are made all the time, especially in the playoffs when the umps are watching EVERYTHING more closely (see Cano, Robinson), but you can't stop playing.

I don't think anyone can say with 100% certainty that the ball did or did not hit the ground (I think he probably caught it). It did appear to change direction, but whether that was from the ground or the webbing of the glove between the ball and the ground, who knows. If instant replay was in place similar to the NFL, there was no conclusive evidence to change the call, regardless of what it was on the field. In any event, had Paul simply tagged out AJ as a precaution, this never would have been an issue.

And I'd like to think that the Sox would have won the game eventually given that the Angels had already used 3 of their better relievers up just to get to extra innings.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 12, 2005 -> 11:39 PM)
It might have been the right call, its still hard to tell, but he signaled out. That's the problem. I am so happy he did call it a trap.I think Buerhle was going back out in the 10th and I had visions of Britt Burns and Tito Landrum back in 1983. That game featured a baserunning blunder just like this one. What did the replay show when Crede was doubled up? It really didn't matter, Pods would have had to drive him in, and I think we all know that wasn't happening.

I am glad I wasn't the only one who had the horrors of Tito Landrum dancing in my head :crying

When you look at the super slow motion replay from center field, you can see the ball bounce off of something. When you see the side view, the catcher is holding his glove in a vertical position. It could not have been his glove that it bounced off of. It had to have been the dirt. AJ to first, keep playing.

f*** yeah the sox are 1-1 in the ALCS and are looking as good as ever to make a trip to the big show!! That's what counts.

Here's the facts how I see them reagrding the controversy.

Take away the slo mo replay, conclusive/inconclusive..yada yada yada. Those arguments can be made every play. They are judgement calls by umpires. They are part of the game.

What is not a judgement call is did the ump say "You're Out". That would be a factual statement...either he said it or he didn't. And according to all accounts he didn't. AJ ran to first cause he never heard it. The ump never said it and he was watching Josh Paul to see if he was gonna tag AJ out and he never did. I don't care what the umps arm was doing when he called strike 3. Josh Paul doesn't have eyes in the back of his head. He didn't roll the ball up to the mound cause the ump lifted his arm. I don't even know why that's an issue. He simply never said "You're Out" It's just a lack of experience by Josh Paul. When it's close you tag the guy. I'm sorry it happened to Josh Paul...good kid. I'm sure it will never happen again.

Let's ride this momentum now. Come on SOX!!!!! :gosox3: :gosox2: :gosox1:

Garland pitching back home in Cali. Freddy pitching in the heat. Let's do some damage out there!!!!!!!!!