Hermanson

BamaDoc

QUOTE(BamaDoc @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 09:59 PM)
Has anyone heard what the plan is for Hermanson?  Rest vs surgery?  He would be great insurance incase Jenks struggles.

Bama,

I think he is taking the rest route, although if I were him, surgery would be the best way to recover. He may face the same problem next year, and I would rather him have surgery in the offseason than abondon us midseason as I feel he might. Honestly though, I really think our main goal should be to trade him, and see what value his stats may bring. All in all, im sure its something that has to be dealt with some way or another.

Bama,

I think he is taking the rest route, although if I were him, surgery would be the best way to recover.  He may face the same problem next year, and I would rather him have surgery in the offseason than abondon us midseason as I feel he might.  Honestly though, I really think our main goal should be to trade him, and see what value his stats may bring.  All in all, im sure its something that has to be dealt with some way or another.

Once again, how do you propose we trade Hermanson when you admit that he may need back surgery and he will be owed $3 million next season? Just curious.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 11:05 PM)
Once again, how do you propose we trade Hermanson when you admit that he may need back surgery and he will be owed $3 million next season?  Just curious.

Let me answer your question with a question, how many saves did he have last year?

Let me answer your question with a question, how many saves did he have last year?

What does that matter? Billy Koch had 44 saves in 2002 and he has sucked ever since. Koch isn't even in baseball right now. No team will want Hermanson if he has a chronically bad back. Especially when he gets by mostly on smoke and mirrors instead of a good strikeout rate. I loved what Hermanson did for us this year but a 33 year old reliever with a bad back and a $3 million salary in 2006 doesn't have much, if any, trade value. You admit yourself that Hermanson may need back surgery but then say we should trade him. You don't see anything wrong with your logic there?

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 11:14 PM)
Until I hear a logical reason on why Hermanson has any trade value, we will logically conclude that he has no trade value.

You may all return to your normal activities now.

Hermy's bulging disc is probably going to prevent most teams from wanting him. But as a GM, I think you have to think like a politician: keep all options open. Put him on the block and see if someone bites.

But as stated earlier, it is definitely true that any back surgery is taking a big chance. If BamaDoc is actually a Doc (are you?), he'll probably concur. Bulging discs are tricky, and I know someone whose surgey for a similar problem put him back in the same spot he started after a year of recovery.

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 10:36 AM)
Surgery.

At this point, I'd rather have Hermanson out the entire 2006 season than to have him back on rehab in August or so. If he's out the entire season, the Sox get to collect the insurance on him. You have to be injured for 180 days to collect insurance on a player.

That's if the Sox were able to get insurance on him.

This is the same reason Albert Belle only "retired" in 2004 - the Orioles were collecting an insurance paycheck on him the last two years.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 11:15 PM)
His 2005 numbers.  But his bad back and possible need for surgery negates them.

It doesnt negate them. And there is a possibility that he wont be back to the form that we saw him this year. You put a player with his saves on the block, someone will bite. There are many teams that dont even have a semblance of a close, let alone one who has saved as many games as Hermy did. And 3 million for someone who may close over 30 games is a bargain IMO. You better guarantee that someone would be willing to take a chance on him.

Teams that dont have closers next year:

Royals

Reds

Pirates

Tigers

Mets

Red Sox

O's

Mariners

Cubs ( they think they do)

Marlins

Most of these clubs had under 40 saves last year. We were tied for first in the league in saves. This is what makes up a market for a closer.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 09:21 AM)
I think in a way it would be shady to trade him after he gutted his way through the summer with a bad back putting the interests of the team above his health

We have to be careful here of trading away free agent signees after only one year of service. Things like this do more to crap on Chicago as a free agent destination more than anything. He was signed to be a reliever and not a closer. He is effective as a reliever, he provided lightning in a bottle as a closer this summer.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 10:15 AM)
Teams that dont have closers next year:

Royals

Reds

Pirates

Tigers

Mets

Red Sox

O's

Mariners

Cubs ( they think they do)

Marlins

Most of these clubs had under 40 saves last year.  We were tied for first in the league in saves.  This is what makes up a market for a closer.

Pirates will keep going back to the well for Mesa until he retires, Tigers will keep trotting out Percival next year until his arm falls off again, the Cubs actually do have a closer, and paid him to be a closer, the Red Sox will have Foulke, and the Royals have that Ambiorix Burgos kid, Mike Macdougal, and Jeremy Affeldt. It isnt as cut and dry as you think it is, and I dont think any of the above mentioned teams are willing to take a chance on a bad back, just because they dont have 40 saves on their staff

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 10:31 AM)
Pirates will keep going back to the well for Mesa until he retires, Tigers will keep trotting out Percival next year until his arm falls off again, the Cubs actually do have a closer, and paid him to be a closer, the Red Sox will have Foulke, and the Royals have that Ambiorix Burgos kid, Mike Macdougal, and Jeremy Affeldt.  It isnt as cut and dry as you think it is, and I dont think any of the above mentioned teams are willing to take a chance on a bad back, just because they dont have 40 saves on their staff

So we can agree there is a market? Cause you only tried to dispell a couple of teams from the running. Even though the Bucks prob wont keep mesa, Percival is done, Foulke might be as well.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 10:37 AM)
So we can agree there is a market?  Cause you only tried to dispell a couple of teams from the running.  Even though the Bucks prob wont keep mesa, Percival is done, Foulke might be as well.

I never said there wasnt a market for a closer. If anything, I would say there is little to no market for a closer with a chronically injured back, and that the teams that you mentioned would be foolish to trade for Hermanson given his injury history and current salary.

And dont get me wrong, someone could be very foolish and take a chance on him (did anyone think that the Cubs were going to be able to unload Todd Hundley?), but I am certainly not going to count on it.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 10:51 AM)
I never said there wasnt a market for a closer.  If anything, I would say there is little to no market for a closer with a chronically injured back, and that the teams that you mentioned would be foolish to trade for Hermanson given his injury history and current salary.

And dont get me wrong, someone could be very foolish and take a chance on him (did anyone think that the Cubs were going to be able to unload Todd Hundley?), but I am certainly not going to count on it.

I wouldnt call it chronically injured. I wasnt aware that he had issues with his back having surgery his whole career?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 10:57 AM)
I wouldnt call it chronically injured.  I wasnt aware that he had issues with his back having surgery his whole career?

I would call it chronically injured

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/sf/news/sf_n...ws_sf&fext=.jsp

Hermanson, 32, felt stiffening in his back while sitting in the dugout during Saturday's contest. He was given medication overnight, and although his back felt better in the morning, he wasn't healthy enough to pitch.

Getting the nod Sunday was right-hander Brian Cooper, a four-year veteran and a non-roster invitee to the Giants' Spring Training camp who was brought up from Triple-A Fresno on April 14.

Hermanson didn't look happy in the clubhouse and headed to the trainer's room for treatment.

"There is no particular injury, but he has had a little history of upper back problems [disabled in 1998] and as the night went on, his back got progressively tighter," said trainer Stan Conte.

Began season in St. Louis bullpen, but re-emerged as solid starter for SF over final 2 months of campaign...made 6 starts overall for NL West champions, going 2-1 with impressive 2.97 ERA (11er, 33.1ip)...SF was 4-2 in his opening assignments, as he allowed 3 runs or less in each effort...won his Giants debut in nationally televised ESPN contest Aug. 3 at Cincinnati, limiting Reds to 2 runs on 4 hits over 6.0 innings in 7-3 victory...was 11th of 13 Giants starters during campaign, most by club since 1991 edition gave 15 different hurlers starting assignments...made 4th start Aug. 23 vs. Florida and worked 5.1 innings, but was placed on Disabled List Aug. 30-Sept. 9 with left intercostal strain...made 3 straight relief appearances after activation before closing season with consecutive starts...defeated Kevin Brown and Dodgers by 6-4 count Sept. 19 at Los Angeles, tossing 5.0 innings and allowing 3 runs...initially joined Giants organization by signing minor league contract July 14...made 4 starts for triple-A Fresno, going 0-1 with 4.85 ERA (14er, 26.0ip)...was 1-2 with save and 5.46 ERA (18er, 29.2ip) in 23 relief outings with Cardinals before club designated him for assignment June 19...save with Redbirds came April 12 at Houston, and was his 1st rescue since 2000 with Montreal (5th career)...worked 1.0-scoreless inning of relief in Game 4 of NLDS at Florida.

Was traded to Boston during off-season and suffered through injury-riddled campaign...was to make Red Sox debut April 3 vs. Toronto, but strained his right groin before throwing pitch and left game in 2nd inning before contest was called due to rain...was placed on Disabled List April 4 and did not return to big leagues until July...made 3 rehabilitation appearances at triple-A Pawtucket before coming off DL July 20, when he faced Yankees in relief and was touched for 2 runs on 3 hits in 1.0 inning...returned to DL July 21 with staph infection in left elbow...made rehab outings with Pawtucket and rookie-level Gulf Coast Red Sox before being reinstated Aug. 22...started Aug. 22 vs. Texas and posted 12-3 win for 1st career AL victory, yielding 2 runs over 5.0 innings...made 11 relief appearances for Boston, going 1-0 with 9.00 ERA (17er, 17.0ip) out of bullpen.

Finished best big leage campaign 7th in NL for ERA (3.13) and 6th in opponents batting avg. (.234)...began season as 2nd man in Expos' rotation, behind Carlos Perez...was quickly regarded as club's most consistent pitcher, stepping up and leading Montreal in wins with 14...recorded decision in 25 of his 30 starts...proved adept at holding lead, as he was 12-3 in his starts when Expos scored 1st...kept his season ERA below 3.00 well into Sept. before surrendering 4 earned runs in 5.1 innings Sept. 20 at Philadelphia...prior to that start, had run off 10-consecutive outings of working at least 7.0 innings July 29-Sept. 14...tossed 2nd complete game of career, allowing career-low 2 hits in 4-1 win May 3 vs. Arizona...allowed last hit in 4th and retired 17 of last 18 batters faced, including final 13...was on Disabled List May 15-30 with strained intercostal muscle in left side of back...was 3-4 with 3.94 ERA (20er, 45.2ip) in 8 starts before injury and 11-7 with 2.87 ledger (45er, 141.1ip) in 24 games (22 starts) after activation...took charge as Montreal ace in 2nd half, going 8-4 with 2.95 ERA (34er, 103.2ip) in 16 starts...won 4 straight decisions spanning 5 starts July 29-Aug. 19, forging 2.12 ERA (5er, 29.2ip)...logged 7-2 mark over last 12 efforts, allowing 22 earned runs in 81.2 innings for 2.42 ERA...picked up victory Aug. 29 at San Diego, yielding just 1 run in 7.2 innings while helping own cause with 2nd career homer, 3rd-inning solo shot off Sterling Hitchcock.

Edited by kyyle23