ESPN Report: Sham-me Sosa Retires

SSH2005

Added by aboz56:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2332063

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...391/1002/SPORTS

Nationals make Sosa offer

Slugger offered guaranteed deal with Washington

VIERA - A major hurdle to Sammy Sosa joining the Washington Nationals -- and spending spring training in Viera -- has been cleared.

Nationals general manager Jim Bowden said Tuesday the team has offered Sosa a guaranteed major-league contract and is waiting to see if the seven-time All-Star accepts it. The deal is believed to be for only one year and laden with incentives.

The Nationals previously had offered the free-agent outfielder a minor-league contract with an invitation to spring training, but Sosa wanted a big-league deal.

Bowden made it clear that, with its latest concession, Washington has done all it can to sign Sosa, who is 37 years old and coming off his worst season since becoming a full-time starter. When asked what the chances are that Sosa will be in a Nationals uniform this season, Bowden said, "You'll have to ask Sammy."

Adam Katz, one of Sosa's agents, declined to comment, saying he doesn't publicly discuss negotiations regarding one of his clients.

Bowden has had past success with reclamation projects, most notably Ron Gant.

Gant missed all of the 1994 season after sustaining a broken leg in a motorcycle accident that nearly ended his career.

Bowden, then-general manager of the Cincinnati Reds, talked tight-fisted owner Marge Schott into signing Gant to a deal that was worth $3.5 million in 1995. Bowden even staked his job to a successful return by Gant, telling Schott to fire him as GM if the move backfired.

Gant hit .276 with 29 homers, 88 RBI and 23 stolen bases, helping the Reds advance to the National League Championship Series while also making the NL All-Star team.

Bowden nearly traded for Sosa last offseason, but the deal that would have sent a package of players, including outfielder Terrmel Sledge, to the Chicago Cubs for Sosa never quite got done.

Chicago ended up shipping Sosa to Baltimore, where he looked like a shell of the player who averaged more than 52 homers a season from 1998-2004.

Sosa hit just .221 with 14 homers and 45 RBI in 380 at-bats.

Once an icon in Chicago, Sosa's fall from grace started in 2003 when he was suspended for using a corked bat.

Suspicion of steroid use also swirled around the slugger and he didn't clear up anything last year with his testimony in Congress before the House Government Reform Committee on performance-enhancing drugs in baseball.

Though his reputation and skills have been in decline the past couple of years, Sosa is attractive to the Nationals for several reasons.

He would offer insurance in case starting right-fielder Jose Guillen hasn't completely recovered from offseason shoulder surgery or has a setback during rehabilitation.

Returning to the National League also could help Sosa return to form -- or at least someone capable of hitting 30 home runs -- and Washington needs to improve an offense that produced the fewest runs (639) and homers (117) in the big leagues last season.

Sosa has 588 career home runs -- two more than Nationals manager Frank Robinson. Only four players (Hank Aaron, Babe Ruth, Barry Bonds and Willie Mays) have hit 600 or more homers during their major-league careers.

Edited by aboz56

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 09:36 AM)
Amazing to see how fast Sosa slammed into the ground. Two years ago from being in Pepsi commercial after Pepsi commercial to barely getting offered a Major league contract.

I don't have one iota of sympathy for him. He could have been a great baseball player. Instead, he settled on being a slugger with selfish attitude. I don't really care what happens to him this year. In baseball or not ... he's not worth my attention.

Even the Twins wouldn't touch him and they could have used him in RF or as a DH. It's pretty obvious that the entire league probably views him as a washed-up roider. Except for Jim Bowden of course.

When is Juan Gone going to get a job?

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 11:48 AM)
^^ :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Juan must be banging his head against a wall now. If he hadn't turned down that 8 year $148 M deal, he'd still have 2 years left on his contract.

he will probably rob the Rangers or indians again. It doesnt matter which, one of them will sign him.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 8, 2006 -> 08:52 AM)
he will probably rob the Rangers or indians again.  It doesnt matter which, one of them will sign him.

And if it's the Indians...once again will we hear people saying how this signing might put them over the top in the AL Central, like we did last year?

I thought that the Cubs would give Juan Gone another shot since Jock Jones can't hit lefties AT ALL. But they signed another washed-up bum instead, Marquis Grissom. I guess they wanted the all French outfield -- Marquis, Pierre, and Jacque. Dusty is going to love Marquis. He's ancient.

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/NASApp...t=.jsp&c_id=was

WASHINGTON -- The Nationals have offered outfielder Sammy Sosa a non-guaranteed Major League contract, according to general manager Jim Bowden. Terms of the offer were not disclosed, but Sosa will get far less money than he received in 2005, when he made a little more than $17 million with the Orioles.

As of Wednesday, Sosa has not responded to the offer.

They can dump his arse after 30 days. Not even in the same league as Frank's & Piazza's deals.

Haven't heard diddly about Gonzo. He seems to have fallen completely off the radar. Had he accepted the Tigger's offer I don't see them signing Maggs.

I'd hate to think of Maggs with a contender so I'm very glad he didn't.

That still has to be the worst decision ever by any player in baseball history.

I agree. That was stupid.

he will probably rob the Rangers or indians again.  It doesnt matter which, one of them will sign him.

The Tigers offered him that deal

I thought that the Cubs would give Juan Gone another shot since Jock Jones can't hit lefties AT ALL.  But they signed another washed-up bum instead, Marquis Grissom.  I guess they wanted the all French outfield -- Marquis, Pierre, and Jacque.  Dusty is going to love Marquis.  He's ancient.

Grissom got a minor-league deal w/ an invite to ST. No guarented spot.

It's hard to believe that just 5 years ago there was an actual debate on who was better between Sosa and Bonds.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have a feeling that Sosa will sign with Washington just to try and get to the 600 homer mark. He didn't last with Baltimore as a DH, I question he will cut it in Washington play the field.

Most teams know he's the end of the line.

well in that case, this argument can be put to rest.

It's not an argument. Do you live in Chicago? If so, you would understand the insane ways of one Johnnie B. Baker Jr., or not understand them because he's such a stupid manager. Grissom will be on the Cubs' opening day roster.

Edited by SSH2005

Oh, how the mighty have fallen...

The Nationals are scheduled to meet with Sammy Sosa's agent, Adam Katz, on Saturday night, MLB.com is reporting.

Sosa has been offered a non-guaranteed $500,000 contract by the Nationals. MLB.com's source put Sosa's chances of signing with Washington at 50-50, maybe 60-40 against. The Nationals want an answer by the time pitchers and catchers report on Feb. 18.

Source:  Nationals.mlb.com

For shame, Sham-Me... for shame.