Bobby Jenks

Tannerfan

QUOTE(juevos @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 10:05 AM)
if jenks added a change, he would have gagne's stuff.  not saying he'll have gagne's mentality or success, but his fastball and curve are already at gagne's level.

His curve can be as devastating as Gagne's but he doesn't consistantly throw it with that kind of bite. That's one of the big things he still has to work on imo.

Hum......work on perfecting location of 100mph fastball, improve curveball that buckles knees, or develope third pitch to throw in a critical ninth inning situation with the game on the line. I am not a fan of getting beat throwing your third best pitch. Rather than showing the batter something different, locate the fastball and let him grab bench!

QUOTE(Tannerfan @ Feb 9, 2006 -> 06:58 PM)
I watched parts of all four Series wins on DVD this past weekend. As I watched Jenks blow the save in game 2 and have a shaky outing in game 3, I started to think that in order for him to be a truly dominating closer (which I know he can be), he needs to develope a change up.

Because his fastball is unhittable as a high strike, it seemed that the Astros were starting to lay off of the pitch by the third game. It got me thinking that a great change when mixed with the curve and the high heat would put him in Rivera and Gagne territory. I'm curious to know what you guys think.

He has an A+ fastball and an A+ curveball. A change-up would be worthless for him, especially given how hard his fastball is. Unless he could drop that change-up in at around 75-80 MPH, it'd be more of a 'hit me as hard as you can' pitch. Once Bobby gets confidence in that curveball, there's no telling how good he'll be.

Did Goose Gossage have a change up? If I remember correctly, I thought he was straight potential 3-digit heat and a devastating curve, which could be Jenks template for success. I don't think he needs another pitch. He just needs to move his stuff around and continue to throw some gas inside and up high and drop some curves (even in the dirt) to become and/or remain unhittable. He will get touched up once in a while but what we saw in the post-season is pretty impressive considering his age and lack of experience.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 09:16 AM)
id like to see him go with some kind of knuckleball pitch.  Just think he could go from 50mph to 100mph.  danger!!

I do believe he throws a knuckleball already, not really during games but in batting practice against guys like Wakefield he throws his knuckleball so the Sox hitters can get a feel for it.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 02:39 PM)
I do believe he throws a knuckleball already, not really during games but in batting practice against guys like Wakefield he throws his knuckleball so the Sox hitters can get a feel for it.

Damn, he has that kind of repertoire? I feel sorry for the little high school kids that had to face him...here he is 6'4" maybe 240 at the time staring down at you and throws some mid-90s heat that makes you s*** your pants, drops a nasty hook that stretches your ACL and then throws a knuckler to embarrass you in front of your pimple-faced girlfriend.

Just one thing i would like to throw in here... A change up isn't about how fast/slow you throw it. It is to be a variation off your fastball to get a batter guessing. It is supposed to look like a fastball and just be 10-12 mph slower to make you think. It doesn't matter if it is 70mph or 80 mph, all that matters is that it looks like your fastball, but is a notch slower.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 01:12 PM)
Just one thing i would like to throw in here... A change up isn't about how fast/slow you throw it.  It is to be a variation off your fastball to get a batter guessing.  It is supposed to look like a fastball and just be 10-12 mph slower to make you think.  It doesn't matter if it is 70mph or 80 mph, all that matters is that it looks like your fastball, but is a notch slower.

It's the arm motion which fools hitters with good changeups. If every pitch Jenks has the same motion for fastball or changeup, and the difference between those pitches is approaching 30 mph, you can't adjust quick enough.

Velocity does matter, because if his changeup isn't gripped properly, it may have the same speed as his breaking pitch, which a hitter may be already preparing themselves for.