Chris Young breaks hand...

Wanne

D-Backs' Young breaks hand

CF to miss most of spring training

Bob McManaman

The Arizona Republic

Diamondbacks center field prospect Chris Young, acquired from the Chicago White in the Javier Vazquez deal, suffered a broken right hand while working out in a Bradenton, Fla., gym on Thursday and will miss most of spring training.

"Right now, we're looking at four to six weeks before he can return to play," Diamondbacks General Manager Josh Byrnes said. "He's going to miss his spring training at-bats, but I guess the only good news is that it happened now and not in season."

Young apparently was doing some agility drills, jumping up and down off boxes, when he lost his balance, tried to brace himself, and broke his hand upon falling. He has been deemed the club's starting center fielder of the future.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 03:53 AM)
4 to 6 weeks is not too bad.  I'm sure Chris will come back strong.

Don't s*** yourself...that's an initial prognosis...hard to tell at this stage...and like ARow said...hand injuries for power hitters suck. Just have to wait and see.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 11:04 AM)
This actually might be a blessing for Young. This break will force the D-Backs not to rush him. A year at AAA may be real good for him.

You hate to see this because you want to get your first major league camp under your belt, to acclimate yourself so that the next time you're comfortable and able to step right in. So even if this probably wasn't gonna be his break-out year, it's still going to retard his progress.

Call my synical, but there tend to be a lot of wierd ways people hurt themselves. I'm no so sure he broke his hand while "working out".

With that being said, KW knew about a hairline fracture in Young's hand that he knew would give way any day now. That's why he trated him. THe Sox doctors covered it up! ;)

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Feb 12, 2006 -> 04:04 AM)
This actually might be a blessing for Young. This break will force the D-Backs not to rush him. A year at AAA may be real good for him.

I think with the signings of DaVanon and Byrnes that was always going to be the plan with Young anyway, and it's the right one.

Just imagine that young core they're going to have about 2 years from now.