Marlins

Reddy

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(iWiN4PreP @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 09:28 PM)
san antonio wud be a perfect spot :o

I'm from San Antonio, no way are the Marlins coming here. The TV market is too small. I hope they come here but I seriously doubt they ever will. If it was a AL team I would be all for it, so I could see the White Sox pound them!

Edited by whitesox1976

• 1 month later...

Figured the timing was right to give this one a *bump*

Make it 9 of 12 from the Fish after sweeping 3 at Coors against the somewhat decent Rockies. The rookie Jeremy Hermida (who was hurt) is now up to .286 to go along with a gaudy OBP after a nice day today, and 1B Mike Jacobs and CF Reggie Abercrombie are both gradually raising the batting averages after being around the medoza line for the first 6 weeks. Josh Willingham has been solid, Cabrera is sick, and they are getting great work from Dan Uggla and Hanley Ramirez at the top of the order, so the Marlins can hit.

The key however is they are starting to get a little bit of pitching. 22 year old and 6'7, 240 lb Josh Johnson is 4-3 with a gaudy 2.42 ERA and 1.10 WHIP in 48 innings, Willis FINALLY had a very good start the other day, Joe Borowski has a low 4's ERA and 7 saves now, Scott Olsen has been adequate, and the Fish are getting improved bullpen work from Carlos Martinez (like Hermida, who was injured), Logan Kensing, Randy Messenger, and recently called up Taylor Tankersley, who has potential.

How do I know so much? Well these guys are just so damn young and the talent is starting to shine, so I enjoy watching and following them. In a couple years, this group could be something, but in the meantime I expect to see them climb past hapless Washington (who has played well lately, but still blows IMO) and out of the NL East basement soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just over at www.marlinbaseball.com, keeping tabs on the games most talented up and coming team and i read that the marlins FO turned down a deal with Detroit(Verlander + Granderson) for D-Train, all i can say is WOW!, if they turned that down in the off season, I can only imagine what they might get if they trade him to either the Dodgers/D'Backs because a pitcher is going to define the winner out in the NL west and both teams have extensive farm systems.

If they delt with the Dbacks i've read from marlins fans this is what they would be looking to get in return for willis: Chris Young, Miguel Montero, Dustin Nippert

As everyone already knows the Marlins are stacked and could be in contention by next year all though unlikely. This is likely the Marlins future rotation provided they don't trade Willis, all i can say is i look forward to seeing what this team can do once its payroll is back around the 60mil area instead of the 15.

SP

Name Age W-L SO/BB ERA WHIP

L Dontrelle Willis 24 3-6 46/29 4.32 1.41

R Josh Johnson 22 5-4 54/26 2.05 1.16

R Rickey Nolasco 23 4-3 36/14 3.33 1.41

L Scott Olsen 22 5-3 50/27 5.10 1.35 *since that incedent with Girardi, hes 3-0 with a 2.18 ERA

+ Sergio Mitre/Harvey Garcia/Anibal Sanchez/Jason Vargas

22 year old rookie Josh Johnson of the Marlins had another strong outing in a win over John Smoltz last night, and he actually now leads the majors in ERA at 2.05. Their first basmen Mike Jacobs also has gotten hot since a VERY slow start, and is up to .260 with 9 homers and 35 RBI's, so him along with Cabrera, Uggla, and Ramirez are making to be a fearsome foresome at the top of the order (and Willingham is still pretty good too). Also good to see is Ricky Nolasco, the top prospect in the Pierre deal, is doing quite well, as well as local Crystal Lake product Scott Olsen, in their rotation (along with Johnson and Willis).

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Thanks for visiting our site, beautox. Baseball fans from all teams are welcome at 'MB'. :)

With the uncertainty surrounding our quest for a permanent home, it's hard to predict what's going to happen; however I'm of the opinion that Willis and Cabrera will not be traded anytime soon, for PR/Marketing reasons if nothing else. If they are, though -- I have absolute confidence that Larry Beinfest will get our money's worth.

Speaking for myself, I couldn't be happier with what we got in return for Beckett, Delgado, Pierre and others this postseason. Sure, the team struggled at first, and they're still a work in progress; but, the stuff we've seen from them -- especially this last month or so -- is extremely encouraging.

This year, my mind, and that of most fans and the front office, is on the Stadium. Getting a stadium deal done is the key to our success in the coming years. I feel that if an agreement is reached this year, come next season, the Marlins will be a legitimate threat in the NL.

QUOTE(Beetle @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 09:53 AM)
Thanks for visiting our site, beautox. Baseball fans from all teams are welcome at 'MB'. :)

With the uncertainty surrounding our quest for a permanent home, it's hard to predict what's going to happen; however I'm of the opinion that Willis and Cabrera will not be traded anytime soon, for PR/Marketing reasons if nothing else. If they are, though -- I have absolute confidence that Larry Beinfest will get our money's worth.

Speaking for myself, I couldn't be happier with what we got in return for Beckett, Delgado, Pierre and others this postseason. Sure, the team struggled at first, and they're still a work in progress; but, the stuff we've seen from them -- especially this last month or so -- is extremely encouraging.

This year, my mind, and that of most fans and the front office, is on the Stadium. Getting a stadium deal done is the key to our success in the coming years. I feel that if an agreement is reached this year, come next season, the Marlins will be a legitimate threat in the NL.

Interesting perspective, thanks for visiting and posting. A lot of fans here still follow the Marlins due to their amazing amount of young talent and obviously 2003, and hopefully you guys get that stadium. As for the 2 stars, if Willis pitches extremely well in the next month or so and gets his value way up, i'd strongly consider dealing him since you could get a king's ransom, but Miguel Cabrera has that rare, almost Manny Ramirez like ability to dominate at the plate, so no way you should let him get away. Just my opinion though, good luck to you guys the rest of the way, your playing great ball right now.

yeah i've been lurking over at "MB" for awhile now, i just haven't taken the time to sign up, great site over there. Are you a fan of Olivo? i think he might have found it with the marlins he is currently batting .277 and is only 27 years old, if the marlins don't deal Willis do you think Olivo will be they're full time catcher?

and if you could, what would you predict the future 07/08 25 man roster to be aside from the rotation, and do you think they will move vargas/mitre to the long relief role in the bullpen if they don't pan out as SP? and maybe vargas to some other posistion seeing how hes got a great bat and also how Anibal Sanchez projects to be a front line starter.

And another thing do you think if the marlins will deal the following come the trade deadline: Brian Moehler, Matt Herges and Joe Borowski?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 09:44 PM)
There have been marketing-type surveys on these sorts of things in cities that MLB teams have considered moving to, and in almost all the ones I recall, Portland comes out as being one of the top candidates in terms of "How interested would the people be" and "How would they support the team". No idea why, but that city seems to really want a baseball team. They really liked their basketball team too...before, well, you know.

I don't think that a baseball team in Portland would work out in the long run. It's too close to Seattle (

The Marlins swept the Blue Jays in interleague play WOW!, this team that was once expected to loose 100 games they have a better record then the following teams: Royals, Pittsburgh, Cubs. they very well could be in the WC hunt with or with out Joe Borowski, Go Fish!

QUOTE(beautox @ Jun 18, 2006 -> 02:21 PM)
The Marlins swept the Blue Jays in interleague play WOW!, this team that was once expected to loose 100 games they have a better record then the following teams: Royals, Pittsburgh, Cubs. they very well could be in the WC hunt with or with out Joe Borowski, Go Fish!

I think it's a little early to talk wild card, but it's at least remotely possible at this point. If guys keep developing and we don't see sophomore slumps from guys like Uggla, they could be a real threat next year

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 18, 2006 -> 05:58 PM)
I think it's a little early to talk wild card, but it's at least remotely possible at this point. If guys keep developing and we don't see sophomore slumps from guys like Uggla, they could be a real threat next year

Uggla, what a beautiful Rule 5 steal he's turning out to be thus far. Matching Prince in offensive production.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jun 18, 2006 -> 03:15 PM)
Uggla, what a beautiful Rule 5 steal he's turning out to be thus far. Matching Prince in offensive production.

That team may not have money to spend, but they sure seem to have some damn good guys makin' decisions in that front office.

I agree, alot of people mocked their FO, and now it looks like they're making alot of people eat crow even in their first year of rebuilding.

The thing about the marlins current 8 game streak is that Miggy hasn't been producing at the level hes capable of and Ramirez has been slumping big time yet they're winning.

Some marlins fans think it might be possible to aquire the likes of Crawford to play CF for the marlins, hes young/cheap/locked up for a long time, the D-Rays need pitching and the Marlins have an abundance of it, it might just be possible, Since the D-Rays are stacked in the OF.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jun 18, 2006 -> 05:15 PM)

who did they aquire Uggla from? the D-backs? and hes matching Utley's performance very nicely.

Edited by beautox

a little off topic but wasn't Shelton a rule V too? same with jenks, infact have the sox ever lost someone to the rule V that has gone on to do great things?

on another note, IF and this is a big IF the marlins did get the WC, would that be a good or bad thing for baseball?

Shelton was a Rule 5, Jenks wasn't, we got him off waivers. We lost Fabio Castro this year to the Rangers through Rule 5 and there was a big debate (most of it got deleted) whether it was right or not for us to protect him with open roster spots. He just got activated off the DL on friday actually.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jun 18, 2006 -> 07:03 PM)
Johnson the Marlins developed themselves, and Uggla did come from the Diamondbacks. Too bad for them they didn't protect him, I think they had an open spot but I'm not sure.

Uggla was a big loss by the dbacks, but they moved on to hudson. I really like the Marlins young team, if they find some pitching I think they could be good in about 3 yrs. Willingham, Ramirez, Cabrera, Uggla are all studs hitting wise thus far, and Hermida just got back off the dl, Im interested in seeing what they can do next yr or the rest of this yr.

QUOTE(beautox @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 10:09 AM)
the fish are only 5 games behind the Reds in the wild card standings.

They're 17-6 in their last 23 (.739)

Most Impressive.

They are in the Wild Card race. They have 4 legitimate starters (Olsen, Willis, Nolasco, Johnson), a young but VERY talented and now executing bullpen, and already had a very solid offensive lineup. Combine that with them being in the NL, and you never know.

Also Hanely and Miggy haven't been producing at the level their capable of. Hanley is slumping, and once he comes out of it watch out! and your right they've got 4 stud young starting pitchers, a very talented line up, and people chomping at the bit at the milb level to crack the 25 man roster(Resop, Bowyer, Sanchez,) i can't wait to see who they get for CF, Chris Denorfia, Carl Crawford, or maybe even former white sox prospect Jeremy Reed since Shin-Soo Choo will be coming to the show soon.

Edited by beautox