Marlins

Reddy

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Marlins have been most impressive and seem to really understand how to develop young talent much like the Braves have over the years. Obviously not at the same level as the Bravos yet but they seem to draft, trade for, pick up and develop young talent with the best of them.

QUOTE(BFirebird @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 01:53 AM)
The Marlins have been most impressive and seem to really understand how to develop young talent much like the Braves have over the years. Obviously not at the same level as the Bravos yet but they seem to draft, trade for, pick up and develop young talent with the best of them.

Credit goes to Larry Beinfest, probably the most underrated GM in baseball, and his assistant Mike Hill. Their track record since day one has been outstanding. We're very glad to have them here (in Florida).

QUOTE(beautox @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 01:57 AM)
I agree their FO is talented, but their owner sucks.

Jeffrey Loria is not at fault for the Marlins' problems; former owner H. Wayne Huizenga is the true culprit.

Huizenga screwed the team and its fans in '97, and he continued screwing them after he sold the team, by forcing the new owners to sign a lease for use of the stadium (which Huizenga still owns) that's not only one of the highest in the business, but also one of the most constricting. Luxury suite rentals, parking, advertisements, concessions, even a percentage of all merchandise sold -- all that money goes to Huizenga, not the team.

Even during the '03 postseason run, HWH made a killing off the Marlins by making Loria pay extra to open the extra seating sections necessary to accomodate the masses.

That is why things happened the way they did last winter. We need our own stadium to escape the suffocating grip of Huizenga (and his cronies in the local media and goverment).

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 06:11 AM)
Didn't the D-Backs keep Andy Green on the 40 man roster as a backup infielder, and they signed Easley instead of keeping Uggla? Oops. :bang

The problem is he would have made the Tucson team even better than it is. Melvin is not a good manager and he believes in playing under performing overpaid vets instead of the prospects that are tearing up Tucson. Uggla would not have seen any playing time here because of Melvin's coaching style

I'm not pro-Loria. I just don't think it's fair to put all the blame for the Marlins' situation on him. As I pointed out, the problems were there long before he arrived.

In fact, I have plenty of criticism for our current owner; most significantly putting his stepson David Samson in charge of the business. Samson is a very un-charismatic man -- incompetent as a team president, horrible as a spokesperson, and with an infuriating tendency to rub everyone who comes in contact with him the wrong way. He is, in short (no pun intended), living proof of why nepotism is wrong.

I also don't believe (and never have) that he wants to move the team. Neither does MLB, for that matter. But, he had to give the relocation tactic a try; after all, it did work in the past for other teams seeking stadiums.

Edited by Beetle

QUOTE(Beetle @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 09:35 AM)
Credit goes to Larry Beinfest, probably the most underrated GM in baseball, and his assistant Mike Hill. Their track record since day one has been outstanding. We're very glad to have them here (in Florida).

Jeffrey Loria is not at fault for the Marlins' problems; former owner H. Wayne Huizenga is the true culprit.

Huizenga screwed the team and its fans in '97, and he continued screwing them after he sold the team, by forcing the new owners to sign a lease for use of the stadium (which Huizenga still owns) that's not only one of the highest in the business, but also one of the most constricting. Luxury suite rentals, parking, advertisements, concessions, even a percentage of all merchandise sold -- all that money goes to Huizenga, not the team.

Even during the '03 postseason run, HWH made a killing off the Marlins by making Loria pay extra to open the extra seating sections necessary to accomodate the masses.

That is why things happened the way they did last winter. We need our own stadium to escape the suffocating grip of Huizenga (and his cronies in the local media and goverment).

Hey, as soon as you Marlins get out of our stadium the better.. Im tired of worrying about players getting hurt because they have the play on that damned dirt infield until late september

Im speaking of the Dolphins in case no one knew

I would like to revisit a trade back in December: Pierre for Nolasco, Pinto, Mitre I though then the Marlins got the better end of that deal and know it is showing off. The Marlins got them selves a 23 year old pitcher who throws strikes and has a 5-3 record with 3.06 ERA, They also got a young lefty who I really liked in Renyel Pinto he is 6-2 with 2.98 ERA in Albuquerque which is the PCL equivalent to Coors Field. Then got another Major League pitcher is Mitre all for a .238 hitting no power or arm outfielder.

Yea that trade by Hendry was in response to Scott Podsednik and the need to do a trade just for the sake of trading, another funny note is that Jacuqe Jones while doing alright, shouldn't have been signed they could've kept Patterson for 1/3 of his price.

QUOTE(beautox @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 09:44 PM)
Yea that trade by Hendry was in response to Scott Podsednik and the need to do a trade just for the sake of trading, another funny note is that Jacuqe Jones while doing alright, shouldn't have been signed they could've kept Patterson for 1/3 of his price.

For as much as Jones has done at the plate he's pretty much made up for it with his absolutely horrid work in RF, he has no arm, it just disappeared over the offseason.