Haeger

Gene Honda Civic

ChiSox.com

Charlie Haeger continued his dominance of International League competition, allowing one run on four hits over eight innings Sunday, during Triple-A Charlotte's 2-1 victory over Durham. Haeger did not get the victory for the first-place Knights (12-5), but lowered his ERA to 0.64 in 28 innings.

1 ER in 8 IP works out to an ERA of 1.13.

Haeger actually raised his ERA .2 with that outing.

He has allowed a bunch of unearned runs, however. I think we should start keeping track of that more than anything. I understand that crazy things happen when the knuckleballer is on the mound, but Haeger is responsible for a lot of those happenings.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 05:00 PM)
Just like Wakefield is often responsible for a lot of his unearned runs.  However, you got to like the way Haeger has pitched thus far this season.

I love it, but I also know that Haeger has about a .5% chance of pitching meaningful innings for the White Sox.

Knuckleballers are very erratic, and I can't imagine the Sox would give any role to a pitcher who has so little control if an outing is dominant or gas can.

I hope he does well to entice a more useful (to us at least) piece from team that could use Haeger's services (Pirates, KC, FLA, etc.)

Edited by Gene Honda Civic

I wonder if Pierzynski or Widger could even handle Haeger. He's definitely not a pitcher you call-up midseason and throw out on the mound without preparation. Hell, look at Josh Bard--he's worked with Wakefield all spring and still has trouble handling the knuckleball.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 03:48 PM)
ChiSox.com

1 ER in 8 IP works out to an ERA of 1.13.

Haeger actually raised his ERA .2 with that outing.

He has allowed a bunch of unearned runs, however. I think we should start keeping track of that more than anything. I understand that crazy things happen when the knuckleballer is on the mound, but Haeger is responsible for a lot of those happenings.

He has given up 4 unearned runs this year to date due to passed balls ( 2 at columbus, 2 vs toledo). It's touch to fault a pitcher.....

QUOTE(rock1735 @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 09:22 AM)
He has given up 4 unearned runs this year to date due to passed balls ( 2 at columbus, 2 vs toledo).  It's touch to fault a pitcher.....

Welcome to Soxtalk :cheers

It seems like you get to watch the games, thanks for the info, and keep it coming :)

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 25, 2006 -> 10:11 PM)
I love it, but I also know that Haeger has about a .5% chance of pitching meaningful innings for the White Sox.

I think the Sox brass really likes Haeger, and he has as good a chance of starting at the big league level in two seasons as anyone else in our minors.

Charlie Haeger (2-0) continues to dazzle at Charlotte! Haeger again showed his poise and confidence by shutting down Ottowa tonight. 7 innings pitched, 1 run, 0 earned runs. This kid should be 4-0 or 5 -0, Charlotte has won every time he has started (5 times). He has given up 5 runs, 2 earned in 35 innings. He leads the IL in innings pitched, and ERA! Not bad for a 22 year old!

This kid has performed at every level and could be in Chicago by mid-season as a long reliefer. The best thing that could happen is to be traded and he could step into a rotation as a #4 or 5 starter.

What does everyone else think?

QUOTE(wcw2323 @ Apr 28, 2006 -> 08:16 PM)
Charlie Haeger (2-0) continues to dazzle at Charlotte! Haeger again showed his poise and confidence by shutting down Ottowa tonight. 7 innings pitched, 1 run, 0 earned runs. This kid should be 4-0 or 5 -0, Charlotte has won every time he has started (5 times). He has given up 5 runs, 2 earned in 35 innings. He leads the IL in innings pitched, and ERA! Not bad for a 22 year old!

This kid has performed at every level and could be in Chicago by mid-season as a long reliefer. The best thing that could happen is to be traded and he could step into a rotation as a #4 or 5 starter.

What does everyone else think?

I dont see us bringing up a knuckle baller for middle relief. Its just not in the cards.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 1, 2006 -> 07:23 AM)
I dont see us bringing up a knuckle baller for middle relief.  Its just not in the cards.

If someone went down and we needed one start, I could almost see us giving Haeger that start as opposed to McCarthy (especially if its later in the year and McCarthy had just pitched).

Haeger probably won't ever be a mainstay in our rotation, however, he provides very nice depth of the club and could very well be a player other teams target at the trade deadline (even though a Knuckleballer rarely is considered a top prospect, however, the way Haeger is throwing he needs to be considered just that in our system).

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 09:39 AM)
I think the Sox brass really likes Haeger, and he has as good a chance of starting at the big league level in two seasons as anyone else in our minors.

Let's hope Broadway keeps pushing him. :)

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 1, 2006 -> 05:41 PM)
If someone went down and we needed one start, I could almost see us giving Haeger that start as opposed to McCarthy (especially if its later in the year and McCarthy had just pitched). 

Haeger probably won't ever be a mainstay in our rotation, however, he provides very nice depth of the club and could very well be a player other teams target at the trade deadline (even though a Knuckleballer rarely is considered a top prospect, however, the way Haeger is throwing he needs to be considered just that in our system).

Sorry, but he's leading the IL league in Innings Pitched and ERA and he's 3-0. He could very easily be 6-0! CHarlotte has won every time he started a game. Don't discount him because he wasn't a high draft pick or a bonus baby. If you compare his numbers from last year, 14-5 plus winter ball 4-3 and 3-0 thus far at Charlotte, his overall record is 21-8. Who in the White Sox organization has put up better numbers? He should be considered a top prospect based on his performance, period.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 1, 2006 -> 03:41 PM)

Read my post more closely. There is no way we would bring him up for middle relief. A knuckler basically cant pitch in relief due to the walks and the passed balls. If he came in with runners on base, there is a large chance they will score.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 5, 2006 -> 02:45 PM)
Read my post more closely.  There is no way we would bring him up for middle relief.  A knuckler basically cant pitch in relief due to the walks and the passed balls.  If he came in with runners on base, there is a large chance they will score.

Don't forget the ease of stealing off of a knuckler.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 5, 2006 -> 06:45 AM)
Read my post more closely.  There is no way we would bring him up for middle relief.  A knuckler basically cant pitch in relief due to the walks and the passed balls.  If he came in with runners on base, there is a large chance they will score.

Wakefield would be the rare exception to that rule since he did close for at least one season in Boston.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 5, 2006 -> 12:00 PM)
Wakefield would be the rare exception to that rule since he did close for at least one season in Boston.

Jared Fernandez as well, he was tossing that knucklball up there for the Brewers in a relief role earlier this year before being optioned to AAA.

I hope our organization holds onto Haeger. I'm honestly not a fan of proposals involving him going to another club in exchange for a reliever. This will undoubtedly backfire. Relievers are inconsistent from season to season. Ask Politte, Marte, or Vizcaino.

Trading perhaps our best pitching prospect for a reliever is about the definition of ignoring long-term implications for short term gain. Yeah, I know we're built to 'win-now,' but you have to hold onto something.

There's no guarantee he'll become the next Tim Wakefield, but using him as an example, he's remained with the Red Sox for 10+ years and has become an important component of their rotation. I'm sure Haeger's knuckleball doesn't match Wakefields, but as I recall, Haegar throws in the 80's. Wakefield's fastball certaintly doesn't reach that velocity. Nice equalizer to possess.

Ultimately, I like the security Haegar provides our starting over the next several years. Everyone should know by now the rotation was the main reason our ballclub won a World Series championship. It will be difficult to maintain such dominance in the future when our starters leave, but atleast having some resemblance of a turnover is important. Focus should remain on internal replacements before persuing outside options. When the day comes, of course.

Perhaps in the future we'll be in a position where trading Vasquez or Garland is possible because Lumsden and/or Haegar are ready. Imagine a 100 million dollar payroll, of which two starters are earning the minimum and another (McCarthy) around one million. Now, I realize it's unrealistic to expect both Lumsden and Haeger to be future rotation studs, but just the possibility of their inclusion in our rotation is appealing.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ May 5, 2006 -> 11:58 AM)
Perhaps in the future we'll be in a position where trading Vasquez or Garland is possible because Lumsden and/or Haegar are ready. Imagine a 100 million dollar payroll, of which two starters are earning the minimum and another (McCarthy) around one million. Now, I realize it's unrealistic to expect both Lumsden and Haeger to be future rotation studs, but just the possibility of their inclusion in our rotation is appealing.

Please name the last knuckleballer that was anything more than a 4th or 5th starter on any team that could possibly contend...

How many have there been in the past 50 years?

NONE have been aces or studs... let's keep that in mind here.

Guest JimH

Wilbur Wood, Chicago White Sox, '72, '73, '74. #1 starter on a team that contended, albeit while falling short of the A's.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 5, 2006 -> 01:19 PM)
Wilbur Wood, Chicago White Sox, '72, '73, '74.  #1 starter on a team that contended, albeit while falling short of the A's.

Tim Wakefield: 144 game winner

Charlie Hough: 216 game winner (3.75 Career ERA); He also had a 25 yr career

Wilbur Wood: 4 straight 20 plus win seasons with the White Sox

Obviously there aren't many that succeed, but at the same time there aren't many guys that try it (usually its a last resort). Haeger actually has a mid to upper 80's fastball and a relatively decent slider (albeit he rarely throws it) to go with the knuckler and from what I've been told he isn't that bad when it comes to holding runners (obviously they can steal at will when the knuckler is thrown, but apparently he isn't quite as slow and deliberate as Wakefield).