Ozzie ball in a a nutshell

Ozzie gets a lot of criticism around here for his line up shuffles and for putting the 'wrong' hitters in certain situations. I'm a firm believer in what he does. If you show confidence in players, more often then not they will rise to the ocassion. If you treat a player like a last option, he'll peform like one

"I have people who can play everywhere: Ozuna, Alex Cintron, Ross Gload and [Rob] Mackowiak,'' Guillen said. "It gives me the opportunity to play guys. People say I rest [regulars] a lot, but I want all my players to have a chance. When these [bench] guys are needed, then they're ready.

"To me, everyone is important, from Paul Konerko to Ross Gload to Pablo Ozuna. I always want to have all 25 ready because it's not always going to be Konerko or [Jim] Thome at bat [in a critical time]; it might be Ozuna. I have to keep everyone sharp. In the long run, it will pay off.''

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 5, 2006 -> 07:56 AM)
Ozzie gets a lot of criticism around here for his line up shuffles and for putting the 'wrong' hitters in certain situations.  I'm a firm believer in what he does.  If you show confidence in players, more often then not they will rise to the ocassion.  If you treat a player like a ;ast option, he'll peform like one

"I have people who can play everywhere: Ozuna, Alex Cintron, Ross Gload and [Rob] Mackowiak,'' Guillen said. "It gives me the opportunity to play guys. People say I rest [regulars] a lot, but I want all my players to have a chance. When these [bench] guys are needed, then they're ready.

"To me, everyone is important, from Paul Konerko to Ross Gload to Pablo Ozuna. I always want to have all 25 ready because it's not always going to be Konerko or [Jim] Thome at bat [in a critical time]; it might be Ozuna. I have to keep everyone sharp. In the long run, it will pay off.''

Seems pretty obvious to me, and his results seems to indicate he is right. But there are a lot of people on this board (and Sox fans in general) who don't seem to see that big picture.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ May 5, 2006 -> 07:59 AM)
Seems pretty obvious to me, and his results seems to indicate he is right.  But there are a lot of people on this board (and Sox fans in general) who don't seem to see that big picture.

I talked about the big picture all last year. It fell upon deaf ears. Deja Vu.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ May 5, 2006 -> 08:59 AM)
Seems pretty obvious to me, and his results seems to indicate he is right.  But there are a lot of people on this board (and Sox fans in general) who don't seem to see that big picture.

I think the production from the so-called Group Four in the World Series should be enough to convince a lot of the doubters. I know it is tough to show up the game and not see all your favorite regulars in the lineup, but in the long run it makes this a true team with 25 guys that can realisitically contribute on any given day at any given moment. If you want 162 games with your regulars, then you should check out the team playing on the northside. Dusty loves his regulars...and wears them out in the process.

I have eaten more crow in the last year.....the taste never leaves my mouth. I will still complain and second guess, that is the best thing about baseball. I am not used to following a team that actually is better than everyone else and having a manager that is becoming very good at winning.

Nice post. I haven't agreed with all of Ozzie's moves this year, but I'm so sick of hearing this "Sunday Lineup" crap. Recent history has shown that the Sox need to rely on bench players every once in a while. Running the best players out there in every single game isn't an option until the playoffs.

Isn't it a good thing that we actually upgraded the bench, so we're using players like Alex Cintron and Rob Mackowiak over Willie Harris and Timo Perez though?

At least now, if Ozzie is going to rotate his guys and play the bench a bit which he has always done, those guys aren't a huge liability.

QUOTE(WCSox @ May 5, 2006 -> 09:41 AM)
Nice post.  I haven't agreed with all of Ozzie's moves this year, but I'm so sick of hearing this "Sunday Lineup" crap.  Recent history has shown that the Sox need to rely on bench players every once in a while.  Running the best players out there in every single game isn't an option until the playoffs.

Well, since I am a critic of the Sunday lineup, I'd like to point out, again, that there is a middle ground between subbing 3 or more guys at once, and "running the best players out there in every single game".

Any guesses what that might be?

QUOTE(Damen @ May 5, 2006 -> 09:04 AM)
Well, since I am a critic of the Sunday lineup, I'd like to point out, again, that there is a middle ground between subbing 3 or more guys at once, and "running the best players out there in every single game". 

Any guesses what that might be?

In a three game series, you could either go with three games with one's lineup at 89% or one game at 67% plus two at 100%. In some cases, going with the second option is more favorable. Plus, as DBAH0 pointed out, it's not Ozzie's running Willie Harris and Timo Perez out there anymore. Mackowiak and Cintron could be starters on a lot of teams.

BTW, how many games have Paulie and Thome missed so far this year?

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(WCSox @ May 5, 2006 -> 12:16 PM)
In a three game series, you could either go with three games with one's lineup at 89% or one game at 67% plus two at 100%.  In some cases, going with the second option is more favorable.

BTW, how many games have Paulie and Thome missed so far this year?

I'm almost positive that PK hasn't sat yet, and Thome's sat just once.

Another aspect to Ozzie's style, is the crackdown on drug use in MLB. The articles I've read mention a crackdown on the use of "greenies" in the clubhouse. This could mean starters who are use to a couple of pills helping them through the fatigue of playing every day, needing more days off. The White Sox were on top of their game in October last season and Ozzie's philosophy is why. Add in a crackdown on steroids and amphetamines, and we should be better off at the end of the season then every other team due to playing the entire roster during the season.

I love Kenny Williams quote at the end of this article...

In the long run it did last year, and it already has this year, though it might not always be easy to see when the lineup is posted and fans question the manager's thinking.

"Now it's proven that these guys are valuable down the stretch," Williams said, "so [Guillen] no longer has to justify his day-to-day lineup."

QUOTE(Tannerfan @ May 5, 2006 -> 11:33 AM)
Another aspect to Ozzie's style, is the crackdown on drug use in MLB. The articles I've read mention a crackdown on the use of "greenies" in the clubhouse. This could mean starters who are use to a couple of pills helping them through the fatigue of playing every day, needing more days off. The White Sox were on top of their game in October last season and Ozzie's philosophy is why. Add in a crackdown on steroids and amphetamines, and we should be better off at the end of the season then every other team due to playing the entire roster during the season.

Interesting thought. It will be interesting to see how many players/teams fade down the stretch.

QUOTE(Tannerfan @ May 5, 2006 -> 09:33 AM)

This is what may have prompted KW to make the deals for Mack and Cintron, rather than spending to bolster our bullpen. If so, that's an interesting gamble... and one that may pay off.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 5, 2006 -> 10:17 AM)
I'm almost positive that PK hasn't sat yet, and Thome's sat just once.

Do you guys think it's too risky to flip-flop PK and JT once in a while?

Should they risk running Jim out to 1B? I know he takes grounders there during BP, and I don't think he'll embarrass anyone out there.

Just wondering what you guys think - I really can't decide if the safer route of having him be a pure DH is the best option or not.

QUOTE(The Critic @ May 5, 2006 -> 02:01 PM)

Should they risk running Jim out to 1B? I know he takes grounders there during BP, and I don't think he'll embarrass anyone out there.

Just wondering what you guys think - I really can't decide if the safer route of having him be a pure DH is the best option or not.

I think we should have Thome follow the Frank policy.

QUOTE(The Critic @ May 5, 2006 -> 01:01 PM)

I don't think he'd hurt himself at 1B but I just don't see why we'd risk it. Pauly can play 150+ games over there, it's not a particularly taxing position and assuming he remains with the team Gload can relieve Paul at 1B every once in a while. Perhaps I just don't see the need for risking losing your best hitter by putting him out at 1B.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 5, 2006 -> 11:07 AM)
I don't think he'd hurt himself at 1B but I just don't see why we'd risk it. Pauly can play 150+ games over there, it's not a particularly taxing position and assuming he remains with the team Gload can relieve Paul at 1B every once in a while. Perhaps I just don't see the need for risking losing your best hitter by putting him out at 1B.

I don't see why Thome couldn't play a couple interleague games at 1B. And I don't see why Paulie needs to play 158 games at 1B again, especially with Mack and Gload on our bench.

QUOTE(WCSox @ May 5, 2006 -> 01:10 PM)
I don't see why Thome couldn't play a couple interleague games at 1B.  And I don't see why Paulie needs to play 158 games at 1B again, especially with Mack and Gload on our bench.

Thome can play 1B during interleague all he wants, that's not the situation in question here. Pauly can play 150+ games simply because he's capable of it, why not let him. And yes Gload and I guess Mack can give him days off. I'm not sure where the disagreement is.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 5, 2006 -> 11:12 AM)
Thome can play 1B during interleague all he wants, that's not the situation in question here. Pauly can play 150+ games simply because he's capable of it, why not let him. And yes Gload and I guess Mack can give him days off. I'm not sure where the disagreement is.

Well, it's my understanding that Ozzie doesn't want Thome playing 1B at all this year, which I don't really agree with. I don't see the problem with him playing maybe 4 or 5 interleague games at 1B.

As for Paulie, there's really no need to start him at 1B 158 times this season with Mack on the bench. I'd like to see him get a few days off in August and September, just to keep him fresh down the stretch.

An unmentioned effect of everyone playing is the clubhouse atmosphere. I think Ozzie's penchant for using everyone greatly contributes to the commradarie off the field and in the clubhouse. When you play you feel like a part of the team. Another unmentioned benefit is our current non skipping of a starting pitcher in the rotation. While our starters are almost always good for 100-110 pitches, they get an extra day off. Torre has adjusted the Yankees so Johnson and Mussina get max starts, they will burn out or be injured.

Another Ozzieball gem om Haeger:

"You can put three Minor League kids in [the starting rotation], and I still believe in what we have. I always believe in what I have. I'm not going to lose sleep with who's pitching or who's playing."

If you're in the bigs, you're expected to step up and perform, sometimes in tough situations. Everyone believes in you, no one is gonna bail you out, so get it done.