Discussion topic from 2005 draft

Randar68

Ok, following Lance's domination last night, I thought it would be an interesting topic on a slow day:

Broadway (AA Birmingham Barons of the SL):

7 starts (1 CGSO), 44.2 IP, 1.61 ERA, 35 H, 8 ER, 1 HR, 7 BB, 37 K, 0.94 WHIP

Carillo (AA Mobile Bay Bears of the SL):

7 starts, 39.2 IP, 2.95 ERA, 34 H, 13 ER, 4 HR, 10 BB, 32 K, 1.11 WHIP

Bogusevic (low-A Lexington Legends of the SAL):

5 starts, 12.2 IP. 10.66 ERA, 25 H, 15 ER, 3 HR, 5 BB, 13 K, 2.37 WHIP

Discuss (I know it's early in their careers at this point, but some interesting fodder considering a few very outspoken critics of the pick)

Well, considering how Bogusevic has been stinking up at A ball, then let's talk about Carillo and Broadway.

IMO, maybe the Sox saw something more long term in Broadway, and maybe they saw that Carillo might be nothing more than a reliever when he gets to the show. Dunno.

But it's nice to see two prospects getting some love in AA. And nice to see Broadway's WHIP.

At the time of last year's draft, I thought that Bogusevic was a step below Carrillo and Broadway. For that reason, I'm only going to talk about the latter two.

I'd guess that this was a really tough decision -- I wouldn't be surprised to hear that half of the Sox scouts wanted Carrillo, while the other half wanted Broadway.

Carrillo had a more sustained success in a tougher conference. For two years, he put up ERA's of 2.22 and 2.69. Broadway, OTOH, had one great year, but in that year, he was truely dominant -- he put up a 1.62 ERA while striking out 151 (!!) in 117 IP. That's amazing in itself, but I'd tend to guess (is this correct?) that Carrillo's conference was tougher than Broadway's.

It was pretty much a toss up (IMO). I wouldn't have been angry if they took Carrillo. The only thing that left me a little disheartened (that might not be the right word) was that people were already calling Broadway a bust and criticizing the pick while citing Carrillo's stats at the end of 2005. I'm really happy that Broadway has quieted some of the critics with his superb start, and he should help this team in one way or another (even if it means bringing in major league talent in a trade).