Uribe's leg kick from last year

joeynach

Remember last year when uribe was hitting like .210 and .220 and then all of a sudden he picked up this leg kick to help his timing. After that he started being more productive and having better at bats. This year the leg kick in his swing is gone and once again he is struggling to hit .200. Am I onto something here??

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ May 28, 2006 -> 09:27 PM)
He sucks in general now, not just hitting.

His leg kick is his key, he needs to use it. Im sick of his s***. Get him down and let him work on it, or bench him.

The leg kick kept him striding towards the pitchers plate, it keeps his body balanced, his hands back and his swing level. Without the kick, his front foot pivots and slides towards third base. His hips fly open and he strikes the ball at a bad angle. When he keeps closed off, he squares up the ball just fine. Its just sad that he forgot to use something that was so successful for him. Last year he hit 286 in April then he was in the 220s with a blip at 250 for one month until he had the leg kick. After the leg kick he hit over 300 for a month, and had a bunch of homers.

QUOTE(That funky motion @ May 28, 2006 -> 09:54 PM)
I thought it was Walt that taught this to him. Bring him in and let him work his majic with Uribe.

It was, they should bring him in to work specifically again with Uribe for a refresher course. And then while he is up here see what he can do with Anderson. Maybe he can help get him going also.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 28, 2006 -> 08:26 PM)
I remember Juan giving some credit to Frank, for his success at the end of the year also. So Frank also seemed to play a role into Juan's success the past couple years. And it's quite apparent that Juan has not spoken to Frank or Walt in a while.

Perhaps he has been talking to Frank, and this is Franks' revenge?

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ May 28, 2006 -> 11:04 PM)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

The leg kick probably worked because it helped him keep his weight on his back foot. However, the thing that might help him even more would be to change his stance. I've always hated the way he leans forward. I would love to see him bend his knees and keep his weight centered. Look at that terrific youngster, Alex Rios on Toronto. That is the same kind of stance that Mark McGuire used. It is what some call an "athletic" stance. It helps to keep the body balanced, and utilizes the legs.

Of course the other thing that would help him so much, would be to stop trying to pull breaking pitches. It's so painful watching him continue to lung after those breaking pitches that are out of the strike zone. Don't they teach hitters to recognize breaking pitches, and to know that the best breaking balls to hit from a righty to a right handed hitter, are the ones that start inside, and then break across the plate. If it initially looks good, it will end up breaking out of the zone. That is about all pitchers throw to him these days, because they know that he will chase them out of the zone. If he insists on swinging at those pitches, I wish he would at least try to hit it to the opposite field, instead of trying to pull it.

I can't understand why he hasn't made any adjustments. How long should it take for him to figure it out?

Sorry I included the quote. That was inadvertant. I was just trying to make comments on the general thread.