Quietly hitting his way through the minors

Cerbaho-WG

The Sox drafted him in the 14th round of the 2003 draft out of Florida International, and has hit ever since he joined the organization. Why am I mentioning him? Because even though he's left handed, he could provide as a stop gap in center field if the brass decides Sweeney should stay in AAA.

Why Nanita?

He's a hitting machine: Career .304 average coming into this year

Hitting well this year: Around .290 currently

Excellent batting eye: Has more walks than strikeouts

CF is his natural position: He played it overwhelmingly at FIU

Why not?

He's 25 and in AA

Not a lot of power (although he hit about 30 doubles last year)

So with Jerry Owens tearing it up at a .224 clip in Charlotte, how about, IF Anderson goes down, give Nanita a chance and let Anderson and Sweeney keep hitting in Charlotte.

While he is a complete darkhorse, Nanita has gotten zero love from FutureSox or anyone for that fact. I think it's time he's thrown into the mix for consideration.

I mentioned he was doing well in a game thread a while back. No one responded. Link

Considering Owens hit better in AA and is now scuffling in AAA and Spidale doing basically the same thing a year before I think we might be seeing inflated averages with the big park in AA and deflated averages in AAA with guys going for power. Nanita is still a semi prospect, but throwing him in the bigs? I don't know if that would work, but Anderson is hitting in the .150s so I guess it can't get much worse at the plate.

I hadn't looked at the thread yet today and was looking at the box scores and Nanita caught my eye. I know he had some funks after his initial season (where he killed the ball) but he seems to be doing pretty well and was a solid athlete.