Fabio Castro

BamaDoc

I think for the most part they are doing what they can to keep him from coming to us. My guess is a lot of teams try this. I wish we could get him back, but it looks like the Rangers will keep him.

you know what, its a freaking joke...he's pitched in 5 games (4 starts) in AA and has made a start in AAA.

He's been pitching since May 20th and its now June 12th. I'd have to think he needs to be activated pretty darn quickly.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 09:18 PM)
I think for the most part they are doing what they can to keep him from coming to us. My guess is a lot of teams try this. I wish we could get him back, but it looks like the Rangers will keep him.

you know what, its a freaking joke...he's pitched in 5 games (4 starts) in AA and has made a start in AAA.

He's been pitching since May 20th and its now June 12th. I'd have to think he needs to be activated pretty darn quickly.

You can have a 30-day rehab

Looks like they are hanging on to him:

Rangers stick with Castro

The Rangers decided to stick with left-hander Fabio Castro, who they acquired in the Rule V draft in December.

Castro’s rehab assignment would have reached 30 days on Sunday, and if he was healthy – which he is – the Rangers would have to either recall him or offer him back to the Chicago White Sox on that date.

They brought Castro back to the majors two days early, on Friday afternoon, activating him while sending right-hander John Wasdin to the disabled list. Wasdin was hit on the hand by a line drive Sunday in Boston, and slightly sprained a ligament along the thumb.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/baseball/14837963.htm

Castro's been designated for assignment;

Rangers designated LHP Fabio Castro for assignment.

Manager Buck Showalter had no interest at all in using Castro, who had a 4.32 ERA in 8 1/3 innings. The Rule 5 pick will have to clear waivers before returning to the White Sox. It's possible that an out-of-contention ballclub will pick him up. Kansas City and Tampa Bay are a couple of potential fits. Jun. 24 - 8:35 pm et

But Texas think they'll trade him;

"We think we'll be able to find a home for him in the major leagues," Levine said. "We're realistic about what type of piece we'll get back. We want to get back somebody who can help our club, whether it's this year or in the future. We want to get somebody with Fabio's potential."

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 25, 2006 -> 11:52 AM)
But Texas think they'll trade him;

I doubt a team will give up anything for Castro... he is clearly not ready for the big leagues and while he has good stuff and will be in the major leagues he isnt one of those stud RP prospects either.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 01:16 PM)
Does Texas have to offer him back to the Sox before they can trade him?

Nope, they could trade him to another team first, if they can not do that and then he clears waivers, we would finally get a chance to take him back for 25K.

If he does get traded to someone, they have to keep him on 25 man roster for the season, just as KC and Texas had to do when he was selected from the Sox.

QUOTE(MnSoxFan @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 09:57 AM)
Nope, they could trade him to another team first, if they can not do that and then he clears waivers, we would finally get a chance to take him back for 25K.

If he does get traded to someone, they have to keep him on 25 man roster for the season, just as KC and Texas had to do when he was selected from the Sox.

Gotcha. Thanks.

The Rangers just traded Castro to the Phillies for Daniel Haigwood and cash considerations.

Rangers trade Castro to Phillies

02:11 PM CDT on Thursday, June 29, 2006

From Staff Reports

ARLINGTON – The Rangers have traded lefthanded pitcher Fabio Castro to Philadelphia in exchange for lefthander Daniel Haigwood and cash considerations.

In other moves, Josh Rupe was reinstated from the 60-day disabled list and optioned to Triple-A Oklahoma. Infielder Marshall McDougall was released from his contract with Oklahoma.

Haigwood was 2-5 with a 3.54 ERA in 15 appearances with Double-A Reading. He has 84 innings pitched with 85 strikeouts and 42 walks. He was originally selected by the White Sox in the 2002 draft.

It was the second time in less than eight months than Haigwood was traded. He was a part of the deal that saw Jim Thome go from the Phillies to the White Sox.

This was written before today's trade. Great article on why the move was made. It's from newbergreport.com

Breaking down the Fabio Castro move.

6/25/2006

The Newberg Report

By Jamey Newberg

I've already written 90 percent of Monday's "Going Deep" article for TexasRangers.com, discussing the nature of Frankie Francisco's rehab assignment and the reason the Rangers ended it after just 18 days (when pitchers are generally allowed 30) and then optioned the righthander to Frisco.

I'm not going to scrap it. So I'm going to save an explanation of what the Rangers have done with lefthander Fabio Castro and the consequences of the move for the following week's article. It's probably just as well; this story isn't over yet.

With righthander Robinson Tejeda summoned from Oklahoma to make last night's start in Colorado (replacing the injured Kameron Loe), Texas created roster space by making the somewhat surprising decision to designate Castro for assignment. The Rangers have 10 days within which to trade the Rule 5 pick or place him on league-wide waivers. If he's placed on waivers, the worst team to claim him would inherit the constraints of Rule 5, having to keep him in the big leagues for the rest of 2006 in order to retain his rights past this season. If he were to clear waivers, Texas would be required to offer him back to the White Sox (from whom Kansas City selected him with the December draft's top pick, promptly trading him to Texas for utility man Esteban German) for $25,000. But that won't happen -- there's no chance Castro would clear waivers.

And I'd suggest there's almost no chance that Texas ever places Castro on waivers in the first place. It's a virtual lock that the 21-year-old will be traded.

Does this mean the Rangers didn't value Castro's upside? Of course it doesn't. Obviously they liked him quite a bit, or they wouldn't have made the trade for him, wouldn't have devoted an Opening Day roster spot to him, wouldn't have made it nearly half a season paying him the big league minimum to hold a spot in the Texas bullpen at times and to rehab a groin strain in Surprise, Frisco, and Oklahoma City at others.

But Jon Daniels decided that Texas, in a tight division race with Oakland, could no longer go forward with Castro as a permanent member of the relief corps, especially with a rotation that's forcing the bullpen to work harder lately and with a number of fellow relievers pitching inconsistently. Add the fact that Frankie Francisco and Josh Rupe could be returning soon, and that Adam Eaton or a trade acquisition could move a current Rangers starter into the pen, and Castro's hold on a job over the last three months was looking more and more tenuous, particularly assuming Texas is going to stay in the race.

He hasn't been a disaster in his few opportunities with the Rangers; far from it. Opponents hit a measly .200/.351/.233 off him. He gave up four earned runs (4.32 ERA) in 8.1 innings, allowing six hits (five singles and one double) and fanning five, though he did issue seven walks. But this is a kid who had never pitched above Class A before April, and so command and consistency issues were to be expected. The Rangers just didn't want to be the team to deal with those the rest of the summer.

Because there are sure to be several teams interested in giving a big league roster spot to Castro for what amounts to only half a season, Daniels should be able to generate a handful of trade offers for the small southpaw.

And I'd submit to you that the offers should be better now than they were in December, when German was the best offer the Royals got for him. The reason for that is no team was going to give up a useful veteran for Castro in December, because every team probably believed it had a chance to do something in 2006 (or at least had to act that way for the benefit of their ticket-buying public).

Today, the story is different. Teams out of the race or on the verge of it might have veterans that are not as meaningful to their big picture as Castro would be, and teams who have established strength and stability in their bullpen -- even contenders -- might see enough of a ceiling in Castro that they think they can hide him the rest of the way this season (really, just until September, when rosters expand and Castro's presence won't handicap the manager under any circumstances) and benefit for years after that by having him under control.

Texas is neither out of the race nor fortified with a stable pen. And so Castro is on his way out.

But trust this: Daniels is always well prepared. Texas knew for nearly a week that Tejeda was going to come up to make last night's start, so you can be sure Daniels was working the phones to determine what Castro's trade value might be well before he made yesterday's procedural move. Bet on him getting a player back who the club believes can help the big league team right now more than Castro would have, or a prospect whose future the club likes just as much as Castro's.

Here's my guess: if the Rangers had been getting any more than 5.2 innings per game out of their starters, or if guys like Joaquin Benoit and Antonio Alfonseca and Brian Shouse and C.J. Wilson had been more effective this spring, or both, Castro sticks. But the bullpen has been taxed, and it has been inconsistent, and as a result the Rangers decided they needed the arms they believe they can most count on at every relief spot. So Castro moves on, and he's almost certain to be in the big leagues the rest of the year, in someone else's uniform.

And it may be that Daniels already has a trade he's willing to make if nothing better materializes, and the designation for assignment simply puts every other team on notice and creates a finite window for them to put in their bids.

I'm disappointed that Castro isn't going to finish the year as a Ranger and fit next year into the upper levels of the club's farm system, which is relatively thin on high-ceiling lefthanders. But let's see what Daniels converts Castro into, which is far more likely to be a player than $25,000 of Chicago's money.

The cool thing is that this could all play out right around the time that 300 of us will have Daniels fielding our questions, between 5:00 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. in one week, at Newberg Report Night on July 2.

QUOTE(squeezeplay @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Rangers just traded Castro to the Phillies for Daniel Haigwood and cash considerations.

Rangers trade Castro to Phillies

02:11 PM CDT on Thursday, June 29, 2006

From Staff Reports

ARLINGTON – The Rangers have traded lefthanded pitcher Fabio Castro to Philadelphia in exchange for lefthander Daniel Haigwood and cash considerations.

In other moves, Josh Rupe was reinstated from the 60-day disabled list and optioned to Triple-A Oklahoma. Infielder Marshall McDougall was released from his contract with Oklahoma.

Haigwood was 2-5 with a 3.54 ERA in 15 appearances with Double-A Reading. He has 84 innings pitched with 85 strikeouts and 42 walks. He was originally selected by the White Sox in the 2002 draft.

It was the second time in less than eight months than Haigwood was traded. He was a part of the deal that saw Jim Thome go from the Phillies to the White Sox.

Haigwood, Castro, and Rupe all mentioned in that article.

[Flash Tizzle]How come we can't develop minor league pitchers? Where's our Liriano? [/Flash Tizzle]

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 07:11 PM)
Haigwood, Castro, and Rupe all mentioned in that article.

[Flash Tizzle]How come we can't develop minor league pitchers? Where's our Liriano? [/Flash Tizzle]

Mentioned, yes. Doesn't mean they're worth a damn.

Haigwood's a typical White Sox pitching prospect with a ceiling of 4th, 5th starter. There are plenty of replacements for him. Rupe? Texas can keep him.

Knowing our troubles, Castro probably will emerge into an elite starter for Philadelphia. Or wherever else he bounces too. Too bad we couldn't retain him.....

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 07:47 PM)
Mentioned, yes. Doesn't mean they're worth a damn.

Haigwood's a typical White Sox pitching prospect with a ceiling of 4th, 5th starter. There are plenty of replacements for him. Rupe? Texas can keep him.

Knowing our troubles, Castro probably will emerge into an elite starter for Philadelphia. Or wherever else he bounces too. Too bad we couldn't retain him.....

EDIT: in reading over your post, maybe you meant bullpen troubles. if thats the case everyone can ignore the rest of this post

what exactly are our troubles? my friend says this type of thing all the time about our minor league system never developing those types of studs, as someone mentioned, like liriano. well what is the definition of developed? cuz the twins traded for liriano, thus if they developed him, then we developed garland, cotts, and jenks, not to mention one of the best lefthanded starters in teh game, buerhle, one of the best right handed power bats in the game, clee, another solid righty bat, maggs, and a gold glove third basemen who will bat .280 and hit 25 dongs in crede. with the exception of cotts, those are all former, or soon to be all stars. now what types of troubles have we had recently where guys we let go turn into something that bites us in the butt? the best i can think of is the kip wells/fogg....maybe gary majewski. its possible gio, young, even reed come back to bite us, but i just dont see us having troubles yet

Edited by daa84

Fabio is a really talented lefty and it was a good move by the Rangers and the Phillies. The thing that really irks me is I really think we could have gotten some good value for him since we had to know we weren't going to be able to sneak him past teams during the rule V.

Fabio is officially gone cause there is no way he'll ever get through waivers and come back to the southside this year.