Wes Whisler...The Anti-Freddy Garcia

maggsmaggs

While Freddy has given up a high total of 22 home runs, Wes has not given up one this year in over 105 innings. While his overall numbers are very impressive, giving up 0 home runs is equally as impressive. At 23 years old in High A, he can't be considered a great prospect, but certainly he is good. Being a 2nd round pick with four potential above average pitches, people knew he had it in him. Now he is starting to put it together. He really needs to be pushed into AA. My suggestion would be Whisler for Rodriguez, Malone up to Charlotte, Harrell to AA maybe as well. Wes needs to imrove his strikeout to walk ratio, but he solid hits given up per nine innings and is obviously doing a superb job keeping the ball down. If nothing else, he can be a good reliever because he is 6-5, left-handed, keeps the ball down and has four average to above average pitches. He is finally on his way.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/mil..._pbp&pid=452217

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 11:06 AM)
While Freddy has given up a high total of 22 home runs, Wes has not given up one this year in over 105 innings. While his overall numbers are very impressive, giving up 0 home runs is equally as impressive. At 23 years old in High A, he can't be considered a great prospect, but certainly he is good. Being a 2nd round pick with four potential above average pitches, people knew he had it in him. Now he is starting to put it together. He really needs to be pushed into AA. My suggestion would be Whisler for Rodriguez, Malone up to Charlotte, Harrell to AA maybe as well. Wes needs to imrove his strikeout to walk ratio, but he solid hits given up per nine innings and is obviously doing a superb job keeping the ball down. If nothing else, he can be a good reliever because he is 6-5, left-handed, keeps the ball down and has four average to above average pitches. He is finally on his way.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/mil..._pbp&pid=452217

I don't think age is that big of a concern with him, considering he was so raw coming out of college.

I think most long-timers know I've always liked his arm. It's what's between his ears that's always been the problem (as often is when taking an inexperienced or 2-way player and making them a pitcher).

He has good sink and a good slider that runs down and in to righties. We'll see if he can limit the walks and take the next step in his development. Needs to let the opposing teams players hit the ball at times, and nit-picking has always been a problem for him, and gets him behind a lot of hitters.

If he learns how to "let" opposing hitters hit HIS pitches, he's going to be pretty successful, IMO.