Potential other Sox deals

Mr. Showtime

On Tribune live tonight their reporter at the Cell said a Sox source told him they've got 3 deals on the table right now. Didn't say whether they we're pitching/hitting, also said that the Sox really have no idea where the Soriano is close talk came from since they didn't leak it. Or so they claim.

So, perhaps more soon...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering the same thing when Garfein (sp?) mentioned the three deals.

Thinking about this logically for a second...

The bullpen is set. You have Jenks as the closer, Cotts/MacD/Thorton as your setup men (McCarthy, sort of, too), and Riske + McCarthy as your middle relievers/long men.

I know we've been clamoring for a trade of Garcia or Vazquez, but I just don't think either of those two will be going anywhere. In the offseason, I'm guessing Garcia will be packing his bags, but it's going to be tough as hell completing a deal with so much money involved, not to mention stretching out McCarthy for the next month in preparing him for his full-time rotation job.

That leaves the offense.

Podsednik looks like the only starter who has a shot at being replaced. Gload is the only bench guy who might be replaced; I'm talking about looking for a real fourth OFer, someone who can play all three spots, not just the corners.

How about a package deal with Washington for Ryan Church and Soriano? Of course, if Church is going to cost another good prospect, then I'd just say forget about it and look for someone else, but I'd be willing to throw in another middling prospect for Church.

QUOTE(39th & Wentworth @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 11:24 PM)
It looks like a BIG deal will have to involve more than two teams. I think if Kenny pulls one off we will end up with more pitching.

I just don't what pitching is available that makes our team better. Our bullpen, as it stands, is pretty stacked IMO. And even if we wanted to improve it, the price for relief pitchers is highly inflated right now. The only starting pitcher right now that I see as an improvement over anything we have is Zito, and he will cost us a ton (not even going to speculate what he would cost). The only way, IMO, to improve the rotation is to replace Freddy or Vazquez with McCarthy. Hopefully, Kenny can trade one of two guys for a long reliever/#6-starter type pitcher and some prospects, and ship the prospects off with a guy like Broadway for Soriano. That seems like the only way to improve both the offense and pitching, and could be accomplished in a three-way trade.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 06:34 PM)
I was wondering the same thing when Garfein (sp?) mentioned the three deals.

Thinking about this logically for a second...

The bullpen is set. You have Jenks as the closer, Cotts/MacD/Thorton as your setup men (McCarthy, sort of, too), and Riske + McCarthy as your middle relievers/long men.

I know we've been clamoring for a trade of Garcia or Vazquez, but I just don't think either of those two will be going anywhere. In the offseason, I'm guessing Garcia will be packing his bags, but it's going to be tough as hell completing a deal with so much money involved, not to mention stretching out McCarthy for the next month in preparing him for his full-time rotation job.

That leaves the offense.

Podsednik looks like the only starter who has a shot at being replaced. Gload is the only bench guy who might be replaced; I'm talking about looking for a real fourth OFer, someone who can play all three spots, not just the corners.

How about a package deal with Washington for Ryan Church and Soriano? Of course, if Church is going to cost another good prospect, then I'd just say forget about it and look for someone else, but I'd be willing to throw in another middling prospect for Church.

Church and Soriano in, Pods and prospects out without losing BMAC would be spectacular.

Hopefully the mets get some rough starts in the next couple days, I could definitely see one of the deals being Freddy to the Mets.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 06:43 PM)
If there are 3 deals, you got believe they are Soriano in, Vazquez out, and a minor trade for a backup OF. I see nothing else Kenny could do logically, unless there's a bigger trade none of us can even draw up.

I don't think the team needs a back-up outfielder. That's the least of our concerns. I see KW acquiring a starting left-fielder (Soriano) before I see him getting a back-up. I can see Soriano and/or another bullpen arm. What we don't know is if the 3 trade discussions could potentially all happen or if KW is working on 3 different possible options to acquire players to fill what he is after. Then again, he may surprise us with something dramatic. :huh

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 06:43 PM)
If there are 3 deals, you got believe they are Soriano in, Vazquez out, and a minor trade for a backup OF. I see nothing else Kenny could do logically, unless there's a bigger trade none of us can even draw up.

scotty, uribe, and freddy for a-rod, cabrera and cash

... scotty can play lf/center, freddy can help with pitching, and uribe can do ss/2b to assist with cano being on DL

or

if you want to throw washington in the mix too, wash gets yankees stud pitch 'spect, along with liotta/sweeney, yanks get broadway, soriano, sox get a-rod, church and cash

:lol:

Edited by toasty

On Comcast Sports Nite tonite (after the post game), Kerry Sayers said Chuck Garfein (also of CSN) reports that majore league sources tell him the White Sox have as many as three deals pending, all involving the White Sox improving their pitching.

Take it for what it's worth.

I will take it as KW intends to improve the pitching staff and we may see someone put on the DL (just my personal opinion on the latter part).

On Tribune live tonight their reporter at the Cell said a Sox source told him they've got 3 deals on the table right now. Didn't say whether they we're pitching/hitting, also said that the Sox really have no idea where the Soriano is close talk came from since they didn't leak it. Or so they claim.

So, perhaps more soon...

Sorry I did not see your post.

I was just watching the post game and the wrap up tonite at 10:15 pm or so.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 03:22 AM)
On Comcast Sports Nite tonite (after the post game), Kerry Sayers said Chuck Garfein (also of CSN) reports that majore league sources tell him the White Sox have as many as three deals pending, all involving the White Sox improving their pitching.

I will take it as KW intends to improve the pitching staff and we may see someone put on the DL (just my personal opinion on the latter part).

Roberto Hernandez or S. Torres, come on down.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 10:33 PM)
Flash Gordon is horrific right now.

I was reading a Yankees report on Hernandez and they think he would get killed in the AL. This is a team that signed Ponson. I like Gordon and think he will regain his effectiveness. I don't think the Sox will trade for him now, especially with his contract, but his recent struggles probably brought his price tag down significantly.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 10:22 PM)

No worries, my recap was from around 5:45 or so when Chuck was on Trb Live.

Roberto Hernandez or S. Torres, come on down.

I hope not. I dont' see where either are any better than we have right now.

Knowing KW, he is looking for something significantly better, without giving up any of his starters. What does that say? To me, it means he will add somebody and somebody else will be put on the DL. The only guys they appear unhappy with are the starters, and he's said he won't move any of the starters. This of course is assuming we take him at his word.

However if they decide to go with 12 pitchers and launch Gload, then a middle of the road guy like Torres might fit.

It sure is interesting though.

Edited by JimH

With reports the sox are scouting the MIL/Pit games, I don't think Hernandez or Torres would be that much better than what the sox already have. I'm wondering if they aren't there for them [they may be--Torres is decent but signed a big deal in the offseason], then who else makes sense?

I'm going with Brady Clark. He's making over $3 mill. He played Mon. in Cf and LF [where he could replace Ozuna vs LHP--he's hitting over .300 this yr vs LHP]. He's that righty hitting OF the sox need.

Gload could find himself out of a job. Hasn't Mack played 1b in his career? IIRC, he has. Why take up a roster spot with Gload when Clark would play more?

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 05:33 AM)
With reports the sox are scouting the MIL/Pit games, I don't think Hernandez or Torres would be that much better than what the sox already have. I'm wondering if they aren't there for them [they may be--Torres is decent but signed a big deal in the offseason], then who else makes sense?

I'm going with Brady Clark. He's making over $3 mill. He played Mon. in Cf and LF [where he could replace Ozuna vs LHP--he's hitting over .300 this yr vs LHP]. He's that righty hitting OF the sox need.

Gload could find himself out of a job. Hasn't Mack played 1b in his career? IIRC, he has. Why take up a roster spot with Gload when Clark would play more?

Mack has played a total of 17.3 Innings at 1B in his career with 1 start and did not commit an error. I certainly agree that he is capable of playing 1B if need be.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 10:54 AM)
So if we are going to upgrade our pitching and our bullpen as of now is pretty damn good... what could the deal involve? Also with all the talk that he isnt trading any of our 5 starters I dont see how we can upgrade the pitching.

From the way Ozzie's talking in today's papers, I'd be very surprised if anything is added at all. To add a pitcher or someone else off the 25 man, someone has to go. Besides Gload, who else could be replaced?

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 11:00 AM)
From the way Ozzie's talking in today's papers, I'd be very surprised if anything is added at all. To add a pitcher or someone else off the 25 man, someone has to go. Besides Gload, who else could be replaced?

Well Ozzie said he doesnt get involved with what Kenny does and the deals on the table are apposed to be upgrading our pitching.

I saw this piece in the Fort Worth Star Telegram;

The White Sox could plug Brandon McCarthy into the rotation if they trade Garcia, but since they're aiming for a World Series repeat, they'd want a top set-up man in return, such as Francisco Cordero.

Would the Sox do Frankie Francisco or someone like Joaquin Arias (SS in AAA) and Danks for Garcia though, if they couldn't get a Humber and Heilman deal from the Mets?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 11:29 AM)
I saw this piece in the Fort Worth Star Telegram;

Would the Sox do Frankie Francisco or someone like Joaquin Arias (SS in AAA) and Danks for Garcia though, if they couldn't get a Humber and Heilman deal from the Mets?

Actually, now that the sox got MacDougal, a Heilman and Humber deal sounds very good. Heilman can go in long relief instead of 8th inning set up. And Heilman could go into the rotation at some point. Having guys who can go multiple innings rather than strictly one inning guys helps keep the bullpen rested and ready.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 09:36 PM)
Actually, now that the sox got MacDougal, a Heilman and Humber deal sounds very good. Heilman can go in long relief instead of 8th inning set up. And Heilman could go into the rotation at some point. Having guys who can go multiple innings rather than strictly one inning guys helps keep the bullpen rested and ready.

There was a rumor going around yesterday that the Mariners were close to doing a Heilman for Meche deal.

Don't know who would have backed out of that one (I assume Seattle), but Meche's performance last night will have hardly improved his trade value.

The Mets also think that Miguel Batista won't be traded. So if they won't go for Zito, they only have a few options really, Kip Wells, Tony Armas Jr., Livan Hernandez and Freddy Garcia.

Heilman makes sense, because next season he could actually join the rotation if you wanted to deal Vazquez to an NL team on the East Coast. And he would pitch in long - relief and setup situations.