Coco Crisp offered to the Sox?

santo=dorf

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 11:55 PM)
Did Bustah just say the Red Sox called the White Sox an offered Coco Crisp to the White Sox for a starting pitcher?

I thought the Red Sox loved Coco?

I thought the Red Sox had the deepest starting pitching in the league?

Yes I heard that too....I wonder if they would have taken Vazquez or Garcia....hmmm

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 11:57 PM)
He said "a pitcher" not "a starting pitcher". Thechnically you don't know what the Red Sox were looking for. But it was more than likely Vazquez/Garcia.

Kenny would be foolish to accept such a deal. IMO

You sure? I could have sworn he said starting pitcher. Anyone have Tivo?

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 11:58 PM)
You sure? I could have sworn he said starting pitcher. Anyone have Tivo?

"They have offered Coco Crisp to the Chicago White Sox for a pitcher that was turned down, they have also been offering around Mark Loretta"

Tivo > You

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 12:00 AM)
"They have offered Coco Crisp to the Chicago White Sox for a pitcher that was turned down, they have also been offering around Mark Loretta"

Tivo > You

can't argue with that. thanks for checking.

Why exactly don't you like this deal? I feel he's a better hitter than Podsednik, is only making 2.75 million(and he just signed a 3-year extension worth 15.5M thru the 2009 season - he receives a 1M signing bonus and salaries of 3.5M in 2007, 4.75M in 2008 and 5.75M in 2009), is 26 years old, is a better defender than Podsednik, and it gives us the opportunity to dump the salary of a Vazquez/Garcia as well as move Mac into the rotation. This seems like it'd be a pretty good all around deal to me.

QUOTE(Jake @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 12:13 AM)
Why exactly don't you like this deal? I feel he's a better hitter than Podsednik, is only making 2.75 million(and he just signed a 3-year extension worth 15.5M thru the 2009 season - he receives a 1M signing bonus and salaries of 3.5M in 2007, 4.75M in 2008 and 5.75M in 2009), is 26 years old, is a better defender than Podsednik, and it gives us the opportunity to dump the salary of a Vazquez/Garcia as well as move Mac into the rotation. This seems like it'd be a pretty good all around deal to me.

Whoever said it was Garcia/Vazquez?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 11:15 PM)
Whoever said it was Garcia/Vazquez?

More of an assumption, considering it's likely known around the league that those two can be had. Garland has no-trade of course. I doubt he gets many inquiries on Buehrle and Contreras. Although I suppose they could have been meaning McCarthy. That would make the deal quite interesting, and tempting. It'd be a tough call. That's why I'm glad I don't sit in the big office.

QUOTE(Jake @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 12:22 AM)
More of an assumption, considering it's likely known around the league that those two can be had. Garland has no-trade of course. I doubt he gets many inquiries on Buehrle and Contreras. Although I suppose they could have been meaning McCarthy. That would make the deal quite interesting, and tempting. It'd be a tough call. That's why I'm glad I don't sit in the big office.

Buster Olney did not say it was a starting pitcher, for all we know they called about Cotts, Thornton, MacDougal, Jenks or McCarthy.

QUOTE(Jake @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 12:22 AM)

By who, the dumbspiffs that cloud the airwaves on the radio everyday? No one has ever said that those guys are on the market, besides the NY Daily News, who was just dreaming about getting another pitcher because they know that team won't be worth a damn once the playoffs roll around.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 11:24 PM)
Buster Olney did not say it was a starting pitcher, for all we know they called about Cotts, Thornton, MacDougal, Jenks or McCarthy.

Ahh spiff. I keep forgetting about that. I would give up Cotts for him, even though I love Neal. Other than that, I'm undecided on McCarthy (but I'm pretty sure KW would want more if he was to give up McCarthy) and as far as I'm concerned MacDougal Jenks and Thornton are untouchable. And I want them all locked up. We will have the best bullpen in the league for years to come with those 3 on the back end.

QUOTE(champ @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 11:26 PM)
By who, the dumbspiffs that cloud the airwaves on the radio everyday? No one has ever said that those guys are on the market, besides the NY Daily News, who was just dreaming about getting another pitcher because they know that team won't be worth a damn once the playoffs roll around.

With all the media speculation surrounding Vazquez and Garcia, I am inclined to think GMs will be apt to at least call and see the availability of those two if they are at all interested in their services.

QUOTE(Jake @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 12:29 AM)
Ahh spiff. I keep forgetting about that. I would give up Cotts for him, even though I love Neal. Other than that, I'm undecided on McCarthy (but I'm pretty sure KW would want more if he was to give up McCarthy) and as far as I'm concerned MacDougal Jenks and Thornton are untouchable. And I want them all locked up. We will have the best bullpen in the league for years to come with those 3 on the back end.

With all the media speculation surrounding Vazquez and Garcia, I am inclined to think GMs will be apt to at least call and see the availability of those two if they are at all interested in their services.

http://www.angelfire.com/droid/kalapse/Whi...Progression.htm

Jenks is locked up through '11, Thornton '10 and MacDougal through '09 so I wouldn't worry about losing any of them anytime soon.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 11:34 PM)
http://www.angelfire.com/droid/kalapse/Whi...Progression.htm

Jenks is locked up through '01, Thornton '10 and MacDougal through '09 so I wouldn't worry about losing any of them anytime soon.

Yeah I didn't think that through too well. I really like where we are with those guys though. It's not smoke in mirrors with them either, there's a lot of heat and a lot of talent in that bunch too.

I wouldn't want to trade anyone to the Red Sox. Not when you consider that the Sox might see them in the post-season. Once or if the offense gets back on track (or anywhere near where they were) and Buehrle turns it around, the Sox are pretty damn good. I don't think they need Vazquez and Garcia in top form, not when you have this current bullpen. Contreras, Buehrle and Garland should and will be enough.

The only moves I'd consider making are acquiring a backup OFer and another bullpen arm. Even aside from that, I think the Sox can survive.

There have been a lot of thoughts lately on acquiring a good young leadoff hitter like Carl Crawford.

Could Coco Crisp sort of be that guy? If you offered say Pods and a SP prospect would Boston do that?

Here's what the Boston Herald said BTW;

In order to add another starter to the rotation for the remainder of this season and possibly beyond, the Red Sox are making two-thirds of their starting outfield - center fielder Coco Crisp and right fielder Trot Nixon - available to other teams while also making it clear that young pitchers Jonathan Papelbon, Jon Lester, Craig Hansen and Manny Delcarmen are not going anywhere.

Crisp is somewhat of a different story. A major league source yesterday said the Red Sox had recently made a concrete offer that included Crisp to another team for a starter.

Crisp’s availability can be read any number of ways. The 26-year-old is having a mildly disappointing season so far - .275 batting average and 11 stolen bases after his 2-for-4 effort in an 8-3 loss to the Los Angeles Angels last night - but his upside is still considered quite high. Cost control is another factor that would make him attractive, considering that he and the Red Sox agreed this April to a three-year contract extension worth $15.5 million, plus an $8 million option for 2010.

Backup outfielder Wily Mo Pena is also believed to be on the list of players the Red Sox are making available. Included among the starters the Sox might be interested in acquiring are Philadelphia’s Jon Lieber and Cory Lidle, Washington’s Livan Hernandez and Baltimore’s Rodrigo Lopez.

That could of been us as that team.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 03:54 AM)
That could of been us as that team.

Actually I read somewhere that it was for Jon Lieber. I know it is mentioned in that Boston Herald article, but there was another link from Philly that said Crisp for Lieber.

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 05:56 PM)
Actually I read somewhere that it was for Jon Lieber. I know it is mentioned in that Boston Herald article, but there was another link from Philly that said Crisp for Lieber.

Philly may want Boston to take someone like Pat Burrell in a deal like that, and get some more prospects back.