7/31 White Sox v. Royals

Sam

QUOTE(Felix @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 09:04 PM)
Yes, so lets ignore the .818 OPS, which isn't shabby, or the 11 game hit streak that he had which was snapped in the finale in Baltimore.

He still only has one walk during that streak, and has only scored 3 Rs (2 of which were due to homerus). He just doesn't have a good eye, and swings at the first pitch way too much. If the guy would start taking a walk every once in a blue moon, he would be exponentially better.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Felix @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 06:58 PM)
Thats not the point. You can complain about him all you want, but in nearly every single post of yours, there's something about him sucking, even though he's doing quite well as of late.

Agreed. Its one thing to make a legitimate point...its another to constantly whine and add nothing. The posts aren't well thought of and just ridiculous.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 07:01 PM)
Haha. So true. Every guy has to have a mancrush, mine just happens to be Brian Anderson. Ask my friends; they'll tell you.

Its true...just ask a lot of the Rowand fans.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 10:07 PM)
He still only has one walk during that streak, and has only scored 3 Rs (2 of which were due to homerus). He just doesn't have a good eye, and swings at the first pitch way too much. If the guy would start taking a walk every once in a blue moon, he would be exponentially better.

Yes, he doesn't walk. This has always been true, and doesn't matter when he's hot. Runs scored are team dependant, and if they matter to you so much, you must think that Pods is the 4th best leadoff man in the AL, since afterall, he's fourth out of leadoff men in the AL with 68 runs scored.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 09:04 PM)
I think Cotts will definitely be a starter some day. Thornton, I am not sure about, but he came up as a starter. He started a game against the White Sox that I attended, and couldn't throw a strike to save his life.

Dick I tend to agree with you on most thing, but we have been there and tried that with Cotts. He needs at least one more pitch and I just don't believe he has the capacity of pitching over 200 innings.

QUOTE(Soxman72 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 09:10 PM)
Dick I tend to agree with you on most thing, but we have been there and tried that with Cotts. He needs at least one more pitch and I just don't believe he has the capacity of pitching over 200 innings.

But he was very young when he was a starter. A little maturity, adding another pitch, plus the fact that right handed hitters have a tough time against him usually, I think he will be a very good back of the rotation starter in the future. Next year may be pushing it, but I really believe he will be in some team's rotation in the next few seasons if he remains healthy.

QUOTE(BamaDoc @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 09:15 PM)
Why is Contreras still in? 106 pitches starting the inning.

The bullpen is spent. Unfortunately for Contreras his pitch count and the temperature are pretty much the same right now.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 09:15 PM)
I'd like to see Riske as the first out of the pen. If it gets tight, Matt.

Riske still scares me in tight situations.

QUOTE(BamaDoc @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 07:15 PM)
Why is Contreras still in? 106 pitches starting the inning.

I don't like this...Mac hasn't pitched in a few days, ride him out and stretch his arm. No need to push our starters any more. They've been pushed enough this year.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 09:17 PM)
Contreras is from Cuba. I'm sure he's not bothered by the heat.

I know it gets hot in Cuba, but it supposedly was 104 in KC today. I think that would bother just about any human working hard in those conditions for a couple of hours.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 07:16 PM)
The bullpen is spent. Unfortunately for Contreras his pitch count and the temperature are pretty much the same right now.

Riske still scares me in tight situations.

Ya, I'm not too confident in Riske. He's a solid back of the pen guy.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 10:19 PM)
I don't like this...Mac hasn't pitched in a few days, ride him out and stretch his arm. No need to push our starters any more. They've been pushed enough this year.

It just makes Coop's recent quote look even funnier:

"Right now it looks like our bullpen may be the strength of our staff, so we're going to play that strength,'' Cooper said. "The goal is to save those [starters'] arms, give [the relievers] the bulk of the work. [The bullpen is] ready to go into a sprint here.''

http://suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-soxnt31.html

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 09:13 PM)
But he was very young when he was a starter. A little maturity, adding another pitch, plus the fact that right handed hitters have a tough time against him usually, I think he will be a very good back of the rotation starter in the future. Next year may be pushing it, but I really believe he will be in some team's rotation in the next few seasons if he remains healthy.

Teams realize what an asset he is out of the pen and why screw up a good thing. If someone were to give him a shot at starting I believe it would not be the Sox. If Neal hits a rough patch and goes to a team like the Pirates or D-Rays, then yes I see a team giving him a shot to start.

QUOTE(BamaDoc @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 07:20 PM)
Four run lead is made for back of the pen guys.

I'd rather throw Bmac at this for a few innings. He's capable of it and if all goes well he's the only guy we'd have to use. That or Mac one and MacDougall one.

No reason to use our main guys and Cotts needs a freaking rest cause he has been stinking it up.

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 07:21 PM)
FOCKING Awesome for JC not giving up that run! I hope the whole pitching staff was watching

He definately stepped up, but that has to be about the most pitches any starter has thrown in baseball all season (especially for the Sox). 123 or so.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 09:22 PM)
I'd rather throw Bmac at this for a few innings. He's capable of it and if all goes well he's the only guy we'd have to use. That or Mac one and MacDougall one.

No reason to use our main guys and Cotts needs a freaking rest cause he has been stinking it up.

Black Mack is a back of the pen type.