What do you think of this year's Marlins?

MarlinFan84

We were not supposed to be good this year. We were supposed to challenge for the worst record of all time. We had a team full of kids and a rookie manager.

Yet, so far, we are defying the odds.

I thought I'd ask you guys what your opinion was on my favorite team. If we have defied your expectations, what you think the future of this team, do you think we can realisticially compete for the rest of the year(and next year for that matter)...basicially, what are your thoughts on the team Beinfest has assembled?

QUOTE(MarlinFan84 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 12:39 AM)
We were not supposed to be good this year. We were supposed to challenge for the worst record of all time. We had a team full of kids and a rookie manager.

Yet, so far, we are defying the odds.

I thought I'd ask you guys what your opinion was on my favorite team. If we have defied your expectations, what you think the future of this team, do you think we can realisticially compete for the rest of the year(and next year for that matter)...basicially, what are your thoughts on the team Beinfest has assembled?

I expect, and hope, that the Marlins win the World Series again in the next five years.

I love your franchise's resiliency and front office.

I love the Marlins, and I think that although the Marlins don't draw well, they have a lot of baseball "fans" all across the country who sympathize with their situation, yet realize that they're doing a helluva job despite having a payroll less than what A-Rod makes.

Simply put, the Marlins know how build a team. And it pisses me off when teams like the Pirates cry poor, while the Marlins are able to stay competitive on a payroll that's the third of the Bucs'.

As far as if the Marlins can compete in the near future, why the hell not? The Dodgers and D-Backs farm systems get talked up all the time, but the Marlins are right up there. There's a chance that the 'Fin rotation over the next couple years -- with Josh Johnson, Anibal Sanchez, Ricky Nolasco, Yusmiero Petit, not to mention Dontrelle and Olsen -- will be the best in baseball over the next three-four years. That team is fishing super deep in pitching, in a park that is money for pitchers.

If that team could find itself a CFer for next year in the mold of Mike Cameron or Brian Anderson, ie someone who will go get just about everything hit in center, watch out.

There's no doubt, though that the major league ready "prospects" in that organization is the best in baseball.

I already posted in the all MLB thread they'll win the Wild Card, and I firmly believe that. Also, the fact that their entire scouting department isn't taken by other teams for promotions is bizarre, their scouting work is simply unreal. To have a 15 million dollar payroll with that kind of talent is just amazing. Obviously 2003 helped, but I just love watching the Marlins play anyways. The 5 young starting pitchers are all damn good, the lineup is developing, and the one old guy (Borowski) is doing great as closer.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 12:50 AM)
I love the Marlins, and I think that although the Marlins don't draw well, they have a lot of baseball "fans" all across the country who sympathize with their situation, yet realize that they're doing a helluva job despite having a payroll less than what A-Rod makes.

Simply put, the Marlins know how build a team. And it pisses me off when teams like the Pirates cry poor, while the Marlins are able to stay competitive on a payroll that's the third of the Bucs'.

As far as if the Marlins can compete in the near future, why the hell not? The Dodgers and D-Backs farm systems get talked up all the time, but the Marlins are right up there. There's a chance that the 'Fin rotation over the next couple years -- with Josh Johnson, Anibal Sanchez, Ricky Nolasco, Yusmiero Petit, not to mention Dontrelle and Olsen -- will be the best in baseball over the next three-four years. That team is fishing super deep in pitching, in a park that is money for pitchers.

If that team could find itself a CFer for next year in the mold of Mike Cameron or Brian Anderson, ie someone who will go get just about everything hit in center, watch out.

There's no doubt, though that the major league ready "prospects" in that organization is the best in baseball.

Well said.

I want the Marlins to win the Series almost as much as I want the Sox to, but I'd rather the Sox do it sooner rather than later, as Florida can wait a little while longer. ;)

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 12:52 AM)
I want the Marlins to win the Series almost as much as I want the Sox to, but I'd rather the Sox do it sooner rather than later, as Florida can wait a little while longer. ;)

They will win it again in 2008. They are basically getting set for that year whereas we are just trying to build a dynasty right now since we are trading alot of our future.

The other thing about the Marlins is that they indeed do it a lot different. I'm not really sure WHAT it is that they do different, but they are like the Twins with their scouting and young guys, only they do the small market thing even better and with much less money. It's simply phenominal, they are like moneyball in terms of how different they are, only with rings, betters players and depth, and 1/3 the money.

They are definitely a fun to watch. They got a real chance at the wildcard and I hope they make it. Also Miguel Olivo has really hit his stride there hitting in the .290's which is really nice to see him succeed. If not this season im sure next the Marlins will win the wildcard. It might take a couple more seasons with them getting better and Pedro/Glavine getting worse or gone for them to pass the mets.

I was very glad they didn't trade the likes of Pinto and Vargas for a few months of Alfonso Soriano.

I think every baseball fan, for the good of game, would like to see them succeed. I know I certainly do over high payroll franchises like the Mets and Yankees.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 08:08 AM)
I was very glad they didn't trade the likes of Pinto and Vargas for a few months of Alfonso Soriano.

I think every baseball fan, for the good of game, would like to see them succeed. I know I certainly do over high payroll franchises like the Mets and Yankees.

Its pretty crazy that I think its what 5 seperate yankees all make more money than the entire team... Randy Johnson, Mike Mussina, Jason Giambi, Derek Jeter, and A-Rod.

BTW...I've always heard of Olivo's strong arm, but none of you ever mentioned that he was so horrible in every other aspect of defense from behind the plate.

Cant block balls in the dirt, cant catch the ball, cant block the plate.

While his bat is a big pleasent suprise, his defense alone almost makes me hope we find a different option at C in the offseason.

QUOTE(MarlinFan84 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 04:02 AM)
BTW...I've always heard of Olivo's strong arm, but none of you ever mentioned that he was so horrible in every other aspect of defense from behind the plate.

Cant block balls in the dirt, cant catch the ball, cant block the plate.

Very true.

Well since I had to get up at 6 AM and am now wide awake, I looked up some things and found it interesting. Some offseasons Marlin moves....

Traded Mike Lowell, Josh Beckett, and Guillermo Mota for Hanley Ramirez, Anibal Sanchez, Harvey Garcia, and Jesus Delgado.

Now I don't know much about Garcia and Delgado, but of course knowing Florida they are probably 2 top prospects or something. Mota was also a big part of the trade with Cleveland for Crisp, so I won't go there. But looking at the other 4 guys this year.

Mike Lowell: .286 BA, .336 OBP, 13 HR, 54 RBI, 1 SB, 51 runs, .486 SLG, .822 OPS, 32 years old (3B)

Josh Beckett: 13-5, 5.00 ERA, 26 years old

Hanley Ramirez: .268 BA, .338 OBP, 11 HR, 35 RBI, 31 SB (T-3 in NL), 81 runs (5th in NL), .432 SLG, .769 OPS, 22 years old SS, leadoff hitter

Anibal Sanchez: 4-1, 4.46 ERA, 22 year old SP, 5th in rotation

Now Lowell has been solid for the Red Sox (great defender too), and despite the poop ERA, Beckett does have 13 wins and is only 26. But other than the fact the performance in this trade isn't a huge difference, keep in mind how much the Marlins saved. A TON.

Then the Delgado for Jacobs lefty 1B swap:

Carlos Delgado: .262 BA, .360 OBP, 26 HR, 72 RBI, 60 runs, .530 SLG, .890 OPS, makes 14 million (I think), 34 years old

Mike Jacobs: .287 BA, .352 OBP, 15 HR, 55 RBI, 42 runs, .520 SLG, .871 OPS, 25 years old

Now that's a good swap in itself, all things considered....but of course, the Marlins also got future stud (despite struggling a bit in a few outings earlier this year) pitcher Yusmeiro Petit in that deal, as well as another young guy Grant Psomos (no idea about him)

Alex Gonzalez also went from Boston to Florida as a FA, but wasn't he a type A? Which I believe means 2 first round picks for Florida.

Then of course, the Juan Pierre deal:

Juan Pierre: .280 BA, .325 OBP, 1 HR, 25 RBI, 38 SB (2nd in NL), 53 runs, .379 SLG, .704 OPS....turns 29 in about a week and a half

Ricky Nolasco: 9-7, 4.23 ERA, 23 years old, #4 (I think) in rotation

Renyel Pinto: 0-0, 3.75 ERA, 12 IP out of pen, 24 years old, lefty

Sergio Mitre: Been hurt most of the year, 1-4, 4.89 ERA, 25 years old

And of course, Pierre makes 7 million this year AND is a FA after this year.

Their closer, veteran Joe Borowski (1-2, 3.27 ERA, 22 saves) is a scrap heap pickup and really the rest of their pen and rotation full of young arms are draft picks (other than Willis of course)

Wes Helms (.281 BA, .364 OBP, 7 HR, 22 RBI, 14 runs, .511 SLG, .875 OPS off bench) another scrap heap pickup

Miguel Olivo has been another decent scrap heap pickup at catcher (.291 BA, .313 OBP, 12 HR, 40 RBI, 37 runs, .489 SLG, .802 OPS, age 28)

Dan Uggla (.291 BA, .350 OBP, 16 HR, 61 RBI, 67 runs, 5 SB, .496 SLG, .846 OPS) as the 2 hitting everyday 2nd basemen. Only 26 and a freaking rule 5 pick

And then, a lot of homegrown guys such as Cabrera, Willingham, Hermida, etc.

And the scary part is, those are the just the moves made THIS offseason that I could find, and doesn't mention the bad luck they had with the injury to one of their top young arms Carlos Martinez.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I'm impressed so far. It will be interesting to see if these young guys take a step forward next year, or like Cleveland take a big step backwards. There is no doubt there is talent there, and if someone could convince them to expand payroll to add a couple of veteran players, it could put them into a true contender level team.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 12:39 AM)
I'm impressed so far. It will be interesting to see if these young guys take a step forward next year, or like Cleveland take a big step backwards. There is no doubt there is talent there, and if someone could convince them to expand payroll to add a couple of veteran players, it could put them into a true contender level team.

I think assuming Florida hangs onto Willis this off-season, they would continue to improve. They've got better arms than Cleveland did when the likes of Millwood, Rhodes, Riske etc. left at the end of 2005.

They've got a great young rotation in Willis, Johnson, Olsen, Nolasco and Sanchez as well.