3/6/07: Rockies @ White Sox

Steve9347

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(U can putitontheboarrrrd...YES @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:19 PM)
Who gives a s*** what Gil Meche got? Below market value or not, this contract sucks. 3 more years of '5 an out' Javi? Yeah, great move KW. :chair

Yes, lets forget the market price of pitching all together, and just offer players what YOU think they should have. Hmmm great call. You must be a shrewd businessman.

QUOTE(Scwible @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:20 PM)
from what i can recall, they don't believe in long term deals for pitchers. The one they did do, they got burned on but the name of the player escapes me right now.

And ya gotta love a stance that basis all pitching contracts longer than 3 years becoming a total flameouts based on ONE player.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:22 PM)
Yes, lets forget the market price of pitching all together, and just offer players what YOU think they should have. Hmmm great call. You must be a shrewd businessman.

There is a not so bright group that thinks that because Vazquez took 3 years and 34 million, that Freddy would of taken the same. Freddy is going to make silly money, probably with the Mets, next year. It will be for 4 to 5 years and for boocoo money.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:24 PM)
There is a not so bright group that thinks that because Vazquez took 3 years and 34 million, that Freddy would of taken the same. Freddy is going to make silly money, probably with the Mets, next year. It will be for 4 to 5 years and for boocoo money.

if Freddy gets less than 5 years I will be surprised. I envision a 5 year 60 million dollar deal at least for FG, especially after he kills in the NL this year.

QUOTE(U can putitontheboarrrrd...YES @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 01:24 PM)
And ya gotta love a stance that basis all pitching contracts longer than 3 years becoming a total flameouts based on ONE player.

Can you please name for me the last Free Agent Pitcher who signed a big money deal for more than 4 years who has earned his money? Some examples who come to mind immediately:

AJ Burnett

Mike Hampton

Darron Dreifert

Kevin Brown

Carl Pavano

QUOTE(U can putitontheboarrrrd...YES @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:24 PM)

It's more of a cover your ass move contract. 3yrs is a safe time period. If they suck after they sign, your not stuck and have a player who you can't trade due to a crazy contract.

Smart business

Edited by Scwible

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:24 PM)

I dont think that at all. I was hoping Javi would have been traded before we got to this point regardless of the Freddy & Bmac deals.

QUOTE(U can putitontheboarrrrd...YES @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:28 PM)
I dont think that at all. I was hoping Javi would have been traded before we got to this point regardless of the Freddy & Bmac deals.

Before we signed him for less than he would have gotten in arbitration? Hmmmm.

QUOTE(U can putitontheboarrrrd...YES @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:28 PM)

We we traded Young who was a great prospect for a guy that we were going to dump. Okay that makes sense. We ditched Young, because KW wanted Javy, and not for a year, and not for 2 years, but for a while.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:30 PM)
We we traded Young who was a great prospect for a guy that we were going to dump. Okay that makes sense. We ditched Young, because KW wanted Javy, and not for a year, and not for 2 years, but for a while.

Fair enough, I see your point. I still dont like the deal though. :)

QUOTE(U can putitontheboarrrrd...YES @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:49 PM)
Fair enough, I see your point. I still dont like the deal though. :)

Ok, then tell me what a fair deal would have been. Or tell me what fantasy pitcher that would could have signed for that money that could have fit into the rotation.

Heath's arm motion looks ALOT like Kenny Rogers.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:01 PM)

Are you literally taking this article as fact?? Ever think that he may want to motivate Anderson a bit so he knows he's not getting the free pass that he got last year?? I'd be willing to bet anything that Anderson makes this team, and if he's not starting in Center on Opening Day, its only because Pablo is in left and owns Sabathia.

Didnt want Javi on the sox when we got him, and I still dont. I dont see what others see in the guy. As far as who we could have signed in his place for that money, off the top of my head I dont know. Maybe Vazquez is really all they could get. The money really isnt the issue I have anyway, its the fact that hes gonna be here 3 more years that bothers me.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 01:54 PM)
Ok, then tell me what a fair deal would have been. Or tell me what fantasy pitcher that would could have signed for that money that could have fit into the rotation.

Heath's arm motion looks ALOT like Kenny Rogers.

I have a feeling Heath Phillips will be the biggest surprise out of the current group of pitchers in our minors, just like Buehrle was in the 2000 group.

QUOTE(U can putitontheboarrrrd...YES @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:58 PM)
Didnt want Javi on the sox when we got him, and I still dont. I dont see what others see in the guy. As far as who we could have signed in his place for that money, off the top of my head I dont know. Maybe Vazquez is really all they could get. The money really isnt the issue I have anyway, its the fact that hes gonna be here 3 more years that bothers me.

Well, contrary to your own personal fantasy organization, money is an issue in the real baseball world, and Javy just signed for less than he would have gotten in the open market. In this past offseason, he would have gotten better contracts than Meche, Lilly, Marquis, pretty much all of them. He took a hometown discount, and we got the good end of the deal.

I am expecting good things out of him this year. When he finally moved over to the edge of the rubber and kept his hips closed, he posted ERA's of 3.41 and 3.82 in 2 complete months.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 04:02 PM)
Well, contrary to your own personal fantasy organization, money is an issue in the real baseball world, and Javy just signed for less than he would have gotten in the open market. In this past offseason, he would have gotten better contracts than Meche, Lilly, Marquis, pretty much all of them. He took a hometown discount, and we got the good end of the deal.

I am expecting good things out of him this year. When he finally moved over to the edge of the rubber and kept his hips closed, he posted ERA's of 3.41 and 3.82 in 2 complete months.

You realize you can not win. JV sucks and should be released. This is the same as everyone berating Garland. Many people do not understand what 200 IP means they'd rather have the Mark Prior beautiful 82 IP and ESPN highlight game wrapped around DL stints. The guy is solid and solid costs about $13M a year at least. He gave the Sox a nice, real nice home town discount. This adds some starting rotation cost certainty for this and next year and for that Javier Vazquez gained a ton of respect in my book.