Music Thread

greasywheels121

Well, I've been DJing for my on-campus modern rock radio station this semester, so the last few months I've heard a lot of music that I hadn't heard before b/c I'm not normally a big "modern rock" guy. One artist that I'm beginning to like in particular is Virginia Coalition. I really like their song "Sing Along" and just heard "Home This Year" for the 1st time today, but I like it too. Anyway, check them out. They're pretty darn good.

Some other songs I really like that I've heard on my radio station that I had never heard before:

Car Crash - Matt Nathanson

Mr. Pitiful - Matt Costa

Nighttiming - Coconut Records

Riot Radio - The Dead 60s

27 Jennifers - Mike Doughty

All In My Head - Shawn Mullins

Wait For The Summer - Yeasayer

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Mar 17, 2008 -> 04:19 AM)
Well, I've been DJing for my on-campus modern rock radio station this semester, so the last few months I've heard a lot of music that I hadn't heard before b/c I'm not normally a big "modern rock" guy. One artist that I'm beginning to like in particular is Virginia Coalition. I really like their song "Sing Along" and just heard "Home This Year" for the 1st time today, but I like it too. Anyway, check them out. They're pretty darn good.

Some other songs I really like that I've heard on my radio station that I had never heard before:

Car Crash - Matt Nathanson

Mr. Pitiful - Matt Costa

Nighttiming - Coconut Records

Riot Radio - The Dead 60s

27 Jennifers - Mike Doughty

All In My Head - Shawn Mullins

Wait For The Summer - Yeasayer

Go buy yourself a copy of any Soul Coughing albums. Go nuts

QUOTE(Cali @ Mar 16, 2008 -> 08:49 PM)
Saw Angels & Airwaves last night. Pretty awesome, they played for 2 hours...

Anytime I have seen A&A live on TV they were so bad I was embarrassed for them, so I have never tried to see them.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 23, 2008 -> 09:37 AM)
Started listening to Lupe Fiasco a little after reading the recommendation here from a few pages back.

Anyone recommend his best songs?

"The Cool" from his first album "Food & Liquor" is my personal favorite. Also if you get a chance try and find some of his earlier mixtape stuff from the "Fahrenheit 1/15" series

I feel like Jack Black when he's listening to the skater kids' band in High Fidelity "It's really....It's really f***ing good..." But the new Panic at the Disco album is actually QUITE enjoyable. It's a total 180 from the sound of the first album. The songs are catchy as s*** with some nice horn and orchestrial arrangments to boot. The lyrics arent anything special, but there are some passages in there that I dig...

"That Green Gentlemen", "Northern Downpour", "She had the World" are my current favs...

Two more acts rumored for Lollapalooza...

Rage Against The Machine & Kanye West...and theres word that Kanye's gonna do stuff from the side project he's been working on with Lupe & Pharrell....

*Wipes drool from laptop*

QUOTE(Cali @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 09:01 AM)
I feel like Jack Black when he's listening to the skater kids' band in High Fidelity "It's really....It's really f***ing good..." But the new Panic at the Disco album is actually QUITE enjoyable. It's a total 180 from the sound of the first album. The songs are catchy as s*** with some nice horn and orchestrial arrangments to boot. The lyrics arent anything special, but there are some passages in there that I dig...

"That Green Gentlemen", "Northern Downpour", "She had the World" are my current favs...

Check out House of Fools if you like the new PATD album. I feel like what PATD was shooting for with 'Pretty.Odd.' is exactly what House of Fools did on 'Live and Learn'

From the "awesome headline" category:

Dr Pepper Will Give Everyone* in America a Free Soda If Axl Rose Releases New Guns N' Roses Album, Chinese Democracy, In 2008

*Guitarists Slash and Buckethead Will Not Be Eligible For Free Soda

And CNN, it's POP! (Maybe we need 2 versions of CNN.com, one for soda country and one for pop country)

I just got back from San Antonio and the Taste of Chaos

Oh my god, that was the greatest show I have ever been to.. Bless the Fall, Bullet for my Valentine, Atreyu, and Avenged Sevenfold

It was incredible

Anybody going to Lollapalooza? I think the lineup is great this year. Besides Radiohead, I'm really excited to see Broken Social Scene, Okkervil River, The National, Cat Power, Stephen Malkmus, Grizzly Bear, Explosions in the Sky, and Wilco.

Also, is anybody into Tindersticks? I just discovered them a couple weeks ago and they are quickly becoming one of my favorite bands.

Went to Reggie's Rock Room last night to see the Anti-Nowhere League - what a great night of punk fun!

Reggie's is a really great room! Holds about 500 people, maybe, with an upstairs lounge area for another 75 people or so. Nice open room, fairly small stage, benches on each side for people who don't want to get in the middle of it all (raises hand) or for kids who've had too much of this :drink (saw a few of those last night as well). Sound was excellent, loud and clear and I had no ringing in my ears afterwards.

They have a nice video screen behind the stage. Overall, a really good setup.

First band to play was Everybody Out! from Boston, MA/Leeds, UK. High-energy Celtic punk featuring an ex-guitarist for the Dropkick Murphy's. I'm not a huge fan of the Celtic thing, and thankfully their sound live was much more punk than Irish. The singer started losing his voice almost immediately, which made him sound a lot like Dicky Barrett from the Mighty Mighty BossToneS. I enjoyed their set very much, but then....

I became a little concerned when the next band started setting up, and a kid with a kilt started tuning up his mandolin and bagpipes!! (I didn't even know you COULD tune bagpipes!)

Flatfoot 56 hit the stage and it was immediately clear that this was not a bagpipe and mandolin band, this was (unbelievably) a punk band with bagpipes and a mandolin!! They played very loud and VERY fast, with great tunes and catchy choruses.

And I have to say it - that little f***er in the kilt ROCKED the bagpipes and the mandolin!!

They were absolutely great - loud, fast, funny, and ended with a punk cover of Amazing Grace, of all things!

The League came out last, and they played everything the crowd wanted to hear and then some! They played every song off their classic debut album,"We Are....The League", opening and closing the set with the title song. They also played their best-known song right away, that being "So What!", which Metallica famously covered. I actually would have liked to hear them play some of the new CD, Road To Rampton, but Animal announced right away that they would be playing only the "old s***". They had a huge sound, much more metallic than their recorded sound, which was fine by me! The band lived up to their reputation, making rude and sexist comments and gestures the entire night. The crowd was insane all night, with tons of stage diving, circle pits, crowd surfing, and everything else the club claims is not allowed. :D The League tore it up for about 90 minutes and that was that!