Music Thread

greasywheels121

Speaking of the League, I just saw them on the channel 2 news.

They have a show in LA tomorrow, and their flight was one of the many many flights canceled at O'Hare.

They had a quick blurb from Animal, and they showed Jez and Nato laying around on the floor.

I feel bad for them, but it was pretty weird to see them on the news for any reason.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Critic @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 03:55 PM)
Went to Reggie's Rock Room last night to see the Anti-Nowhere League - what a great night of punk fun!

Reggie's is a really great room! Holds about 500 people, maybe, with an upstairs lounge area for another 75 people or so. Nice open room, fairly small stage, benches on each side for people who don't want to get in the middle of it all (raises hand) or for kids who've had too much of this :drink (saw a few of those last night as well). Sound was excellent, loud and clear and I had no ringing in my ears afterwards.

They have a nice video screen behind the stage. Overall, a really good setup.

man, i think reggie's is the venue associated with record breakers, my old music store in hoffman estates. i'd been going there since i was like a freshman in high school. dunno whether they've still got a store now that they've moved to the city, but i really miss that place. suppose i should try and get out for a show sometime at least.

QUOTE (False Alarm @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 11:06 AM)
man, i think reggie's is the venue associated with record breakers, my old music store in hoffman estates. i'd been going there since i was like a freshman in high school. dunno whether they've still got a store now that they've moved to the city, but i really miss that place. suppose i should try and get out for a show sometime at least.

Yeah, Record Breakers is part of their complex.

I was not impressed with the service at Record Breakers - everyone in there acted like you were bothering them if you wanted to buy something.

Everyone in the Rock Room was very cool, though.

It's a really great place to see a show - I'm thinking about seeing the Effigies there on 4/26.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 10:43 PM)
I was not impressed with the service at Record Breakers - everyone in there acted like you were bothering them if you wanted to buy something.

that's too bad. i mean i guess they were never especially welcoming to most peeps when i was a regular, but i wouldn't say they were any more snobbish or indifferent than the clerks at pretty much any other record store i've been in. plus the store pet was a bird named cheech.

anyhow, lotta good memories of the place. i wish stores like it hadn't completely disappeared from the suburbs. getting music online's not nearly as fun, and it's hard to find a lotta stuff at big-box stores. although i guess i'm sentimentalizing s*** a little--record breakers' selection had fallen off some in the final few years, probably for the same reasons they ended up having to move to the city. oh well.

Going to see Converge next friday. \m/

Thank GOD the venue has a balcony I can cower on when they start cause I am not gonna be on the floor when the pit starts for them haha

This old-guy metal show has been confirmed:

Heaven And Hell (which, for those who don't know, is Black Sabbath with Dio singing)

Judas Priest

Motorhead

Testament

08/19/08 - Tinley Park, IL - First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre

:headbang :headbang

The only problem is it's on a Tuesday, which means I'll have to burn a vacation day the next day.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 01:14 AM)
My sister went to the BTnH concert yesterday (played at House of Blues) and I had to work/forgot my tickets.. :(

Friend of mine went and said I didn't miss much. Krayzie wasn't even there.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 06:20 PM)
Friend of mine went and said I didn't miss much. Krayzie wasn't even there.

Ya he wasn't (was having surgery, I believe left knee?) but supposedly, like they always do, they shut it down.

Edited by SoxAce

So I'm thinking about learning to play the guitar. I don't need anything really good, I've never played before, I'm more concerned about the price at this point. What's a reasonable price for an acoustic guitar? I've seen some deals for $100 (including bag and tuner). Is that decent?

I'd look into picking up a used guitar. I got a Taylor for $250 on eBay two years ago that was in great shape. List price was $600.

With the $100 cheapo stuff, you'll have a harder time getting good sounds and playing. Might be a little discouraging. But, on the other hand, if you decide it isn't for you, you're not out very much.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 02:12 AM)
So I'm thinking about learning to play the guitar. I don't need anything really good, I've never played before, I'm more concerned about the price at this point. What's a reasonable price for an acoustic guitar? I've seen some deals for $100 (including bag and tuner). Is that decent?

A $100 guitar is fime to learn on, but you should know that there is a good chance that the action will be high which makes it uncomfortable to play. Also, if you practice and stick with it, you will probably want to upgrade before too long. If you can take somebody who plays guitar with you when you shop, that person could play it and make sure the strings are at a comfortable height.

I agree with Strange Sox and recommend finding a decent used guitar. There are guitars sitting in closets all over the country. You would not believe how many people want to learn to play guitar, but don't want to actually put the effort into it. Unerstand that you will be absolutely awful when you start, and that practice is the only way to improve. I would also look into lessons, $15-20 per half hour lesson is pretty reasonable, but that can vary depending on where you live.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 01:12 AM)

Epiphone is a good starter guitar. They are cheaper, but there not complete crap. You don't wanna spend too much money on a first guitar, but you also don't wanna buy something that is junk and is gonna turn you off to playing. Fender also makes a cheaper accoustic too.

Going used is a good idea too. Stores like music go round sell all used stuff. Just make sure your not getting ripped off.

Link.

Danny Federici, the longtime keyboard player for Bruce Springsteen whose stylish work helped define the E Street Band's sound on hits from "Hungry Heart" through "The Rising," died Thursday. He was 58.

Federici, who had battled melanoma for three years, died at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York. News of his death was posted late Thursday on Springsteen's official Web site.

According to published reports, Federici last performed with Springsteen and the band last month, appearing during portions of a March 20 show in Indianapolis.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 12:47 AM)
I was looking at this to get started.

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--IBAIJV50

That guitar is fine to learn on and you definitely want to get a tuner. The problem with guitars like that is they are made in China or Korea and boxed up and they sent over on a boat and then they sit in a warehouse for who knows how long and then you buy it online and nobody has checked it out. So the neck my be all out of whack and the string height may be too high to play comfortably. I'm not trying to talk you out of buying it, but you should know that you may need to have it adjusted and that could cost you $25-50 depending on what it needs and where you take it. It is very important that the guitar is set up properly especially when you are beginning, otherwise it will be uncomfortable to play and hurt your fingers and you wind up not wanting to play it because of that.

I really cant say enough good things about Manchester Orchestra...

I've had their album playing pretty much non stop since January. It's called "I'm like a Virgin Losing a Child" Get it. Like, now.