Sympathy, action are in short supply

southsideirish71

Sympathy, action are in short supply

Guillen planning to give Anderson just his 2nd start Sunday

By Mark Gonzales

Tribune staff reporter

April 14, 2007, 7:45 PM CDT

CLEVELAND -- Center fielder Brian Anderson is scheduled to make his second start of the season Sunday, weather permitting.

But manager Ozzie Guillen isn't feeling sorry for Anderson because his playing time has decreased with the arrival of Darin Erstad.

"What happened to B.A., that's his fault," Guillen said. "We gave him the opportunity last year."

Anderson lost his starting job after batting .225 last season, but the Sox believe he's still their best option as a fourth outfielder.

"We went through meeting after meeting after meeting about what we had to do, and [general manager] Kenny Williams and myself said if we have to give someone a day off, Anderson is the best guy we have for that," Guillen said. "It was between Brian and the 12th [pitcher]."

Guillen wasn't opposed to sending Anderson back to Triple-A Charlotte, where he could play every day. But he remains the White Sox's best defensive outfielder, and Guillen said he'll try to get him more at-bats against left-handed pitchers.

"Then my question coming back again is does he have to go back to play winter ball?" Guillen said. "He needs to get some at-bats. But I don't put my nose in anymore in winter league."

Anderson reluctantly went to play for LaGuaira in the Venezuelan Winter League and got sick, lost 20 pounds in less than a month and returned to the United States.

"You can't make people do what they don't want to do," Guillen said. "You want to go, this is the guy you want to talk to."

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously Oz hates Brian.

If we keep Oz, we need to dump Brian.

Oz is soon gonna hate Erstad as well if he continues to hit like this.

Hopefully we can keep playing .500ish ball until it gets warm and our home runs

start coming from Dye, Konerko, Crede, AJ, Thome and Uribe.

Ok so Ozzie is saying that Anderson's lack of production last season killed any chance of him starting for the team in 2007 correct? Then why did he spend all of Spring Training saying if Brian produces in March, the CF job is his? That if he continued to show he can hit during the Spring that there would be a starting job for him on the big club?

This is just further proof that any outfield competition during Spring Training was purely fictional.

Really, I get it -- Anderson had his shot and blew it. Just ship him to the Marlins already instead of repeatedly telling the beat reporters that he sucks and failed as a ballplayer and professional. I'm tired of reading that story. Call up Terrero and use him the way a defensive replacement should be used.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Apr 14, 2007 -> 08:47 PM)
Really, I get it -- Anderson had his shot and blew it. Just ship him to the Marlins already instead of repeatedly telling the beat reporters that he sucks and failed as a ballplayer and professional. I'm tired of reading that story. Call up Terrero and use him the way a defensive replacement should be used.

Starting 90% of the games in CF because Erstad isnt' that good?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 14, 2007 -> 07:50 PM)
Ok so Ozzie is saying that Anderson's lack of production last season killed any chance of him starting for the team in 2007 correct?

incorrect. It just means he left the job wide open. Had BA played well last season he would've locked up the position this season. I don't feel sorry for him either. Hell, they handed it to him once already. And in my opinion he didn't win it back in spring like he was told he needed to do. And that was made harder going up against a guy who's proven himself at this level and won multiple gold gloves, not to mention his ability to handle the bat better than Brian.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Apr 14, 2007 -> 11:24 PM)
not to mention his ability to handle the bat better than Brian.

So when does this start happening? Darin Erstad didn't earn jack s*** and I'd like for you to prove otherwise using tangible evidence to support your case.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Apr 14, 2007 -> 11:24 PM)
iAnd in my opinion he didn't win it back in spring like he was told he needed to do. And that was made harder going up against a guy who's proven himself at this level and won multiple gold gloves, not to mention his ability to handle the bat better than Brian.

I can't find the stats, but wasn't Anderson's spring OPS around 150 points higher than Erstad's? He had a much better OBP and about the same number of bases in almost half the plate appearances. Picking solely on stats, Anderson would have won the job. Erstad has proven himself to be a very mediocre hitter over the last 6 years. I'm OK with Sox thinking Anderson isn't the answer in CF, but then they should bring in someone with more offensive ability than Erstad. Having 2 guys out there who will struggle to put up a .700 OPS isn't a recipe for success.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 14, 2007 -> 09:50 PM)
Ok so Ozzie is saying that Anderson's lack of production last season killed any chance of him starting for the team in 2007 correct? Then why did he spend all of Spring Training saying if Brian produces in March, the CF job is his? That if he continued to show he can hit during the Spring that there would be a starting job for him on the big club?

This is just further proof that any outfield competition during Spring Training was purely fictional.

Ozzie's whole managerial career has been built off saying one thing and doing the other.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Apr 15, 2007 -> 02:25 AM)
here's tangible evidence - he's starting, brian isn't. get over it.

Why should we just "get over it?" Ozzie's personal vendetta against Anderson is the reason Erstad is starting. Why? because Anderson was a little too confident that his struggles last year wouldn't last? Does one bad year make Anderson uncapable of producing? Hell even if Erstad and Anderson were to produce the equal amount of offense who is bound to improve? The young guy who has produced at every professional level he was placed in before the majors? No, the guy whose living off a career year? Not even a recent career year. 2000 was a long ass time ago.

It's still early so I can see why Erstad hasn't been benched, but if he keeps sucking it up he needs to sit. He shouldn't be starting in the first place.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 14, 2007 -> 09:50 PM)

"I don't give anybody the job just because -- you earn it," Guillen said. "I have a couple guys fighting for the job, and whoever performs better, that's who is going to stay." - Ozzie Guillen

oh, ozzie you sly bastard.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Apr 15, 2007 -> 02:25 AM)
here's tangible evidence - he's starting, brian isn't. get over it.

thanks for the worst argument ever, seriously.

I could start over Brian Anderson, what the f*** does that mean? jack f***ing s***.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 15, 2007 -> 04:33 AM)
1st and foremost, I want what is best for the Sox. I root for the laundry, not for the players. If Terrero is the best option for CF, and is going to help the Sox win more games than any other CF option, then put him in. I just want to win.

Now, as it stands, Erstad is doing very little to help this team win. He has turned in Brian Anderson-esc AB's the last 5+ games. I understand there is probably a cheerleader type effect he brings, which is great, but he can do that on the bench.

What bothers me about this whole situation is the 2005 off-season. Williams and the organization looked at the CF depth chart for this organization, and traded away #1 in Rowand, and #2 in Young. You don't trade your #1 and #2 CF in the same off-season unless you feel comfortable with the alternative, which in this case was Anderson. After 300+ AB's last season, it seems like the Sox have pretty much gave up on Anderson. No one is going to convince me that the role he is in now isn't stunting his growth.

If the Sox are infact giving up on Anderson after 403 AB's, the 2005 off-season was a disaster.

For a second, I was wondering if I made this post in my sleep last night. Well done!

If he really doesnt want BA playing or even on the team then it is ridiculously stupid to say things like this to the public. What does he plan to accomplish by saying these things? Ruining his trade value? Destroying his self esteem and forcing him to try TOO hard when he gets his chances and more than like fail?